Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Android 2.2.1 sync to Outlook 2007/Exchange.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android 2.2.1 sync to Outlook 2007/Exchange.

Hi guys,

I recently got an Android phone and have looked into syncing it to Outlook at work. It is based on an exchange server - I know the address - but I cannot sync to it.

Have anyone had issues doing this before?
    Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Vhailor View Post
    Hi guys,

I recently got an Android phone and have looked into syncing it to Outlook at work. It is based on an exchange server - I know the address - but I cannot sync to it.

Have anyone had issues doing this before?
    I believe for syncing to work, you need to have Exchange setup to allow it. Does you work have OWA (Outlook Web Access) setup? If not, then there is a good chance they don't have it setup to do over the air activesync updates (push email).
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

At work, we use a middleware product called Good. I think there's a way to do it on a per-user basis for a smaller licenses fee.

http://www.good.com/products/good-mobile-messaging.php

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator View Post
        I believe for syncing to work, you need to have Exchange setup to allow it. Does you work have OWA (Outlook Web Access) setup? If not, then there is a good chance they don't have it setup to do over the air activesync updates (push email).
        My company does have OWA. If I'm not at work, I can check my email through my web browser, so I should be able to do the same through my Android. I should triple-check the network settings and domans, just to be sure I am giving the phone the correct information.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
          At work, we use a middleware product called Good. I think there's a way to do it on a per-user basis for a smaller licenses fee.

http://www.good.com/products/good-mobile-messaging.php
          Thanks for linking that; I will check it out!
          sigpic

Comment

My company does have OWA. If I'm not at work, I can check my email through my web browser, so I should be able to do the same through my Android. I should triple-check the network settings and domans, just to be sure I am giving the phone the correct information.
            I think they still have to enable push email (can't remember exactly what they call it on the Exchange side), but there is a pretty good bet that if you have OWA, then push is setup.

In my case, my login details from OWA work with my push email setup, and the URL to setup the push is similar to OWA (in our case wthout the /exchange at the end).

Best option is to check with your IT helpdesk or whoever does that stuff at work.
            The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

I think they still have to enable push email (can't remember exactly what they call it on the Exchange side), but there is a pretty good bet that if you have OWA, then push is setup.

In my case, my login details from OWA work with my push email setup, and the URL to setup the push is similar to OWA (in our case wthout the /exchange at the end).

Best option is to check with your IT helpdesk or whoever does that stuff at work.
              Yeah, I've asked IT Helpdesk if they could help. I don't think our IT department is phone-savvy, however, so I'm not going to hold my breath.
              sigpic

Comment

Do use a domain when you login to OWA or an @? Meaning.

mydomain/myusername

or

[email protected]?

I can tell you roughly what my settings are for you to try. Might not work, but might get you closer. I'll also check with my IT admin guy to see what has to be enabled in Exchange for push email to work.

I'll shoot you a PM later.

sigpic

Comment

what did was go into the e-mail app enter your email ans password then hit manual setup select exchange account

once there enter just your email)or leave it if its already there but it usually puts a backslash before it, delete that

your password should be the same

then put outlook.com for your server

it should start to go and then will ask for permissions accept those and you should be good
                  sigpic
                  -------

Comment

Do use a domain when you login to OWA or an @? Meaning.

mydomain/myusername

or

[email protected]?

I can tell you roughly what my settings are for you to try. Might not work, but might get you closer. I'll also check with my IT admin guy to see what has to be enabled in Exchange for push email to work.

I'll shoot you a PM later.
                    It's actually domain\username. I don't have to specify the domain, I just enter my username.

Still no word from IT.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                      what did was go into the e-mail app enter your email ans password then hit manual setup select exchange account

once there enter just your email)or leave it if its already there but it usually puts a backslash before it, delete that

your password should be the same

then put outlook.com for your server

it should start to go and then will ask for permissions accept those and you should be good
                      Not sure it's going to be that easy if the exchange server is behind a firewall, but I'll try that and let you know how it goes.
                      sigpic

Comment

Not sure it's going to be that easy if the exchange server is behind a firewall, but I'll try that and let you know how it goes.
                        hmm not sure but thats what i did with my university email, that wouldnt sync for the life of it i had to put it in manually and then it worked
                        sigpic
                        -------

Comment

You should be doing something like:

Username: domain/username
                          Password: your domain password
                          email address: Your work email address
                          server: if you have an OWA address like www.mydomain.com/exchange, then more than likely it is www.mydomain.com without the /exchange at the end.

It is very possible you will need to uncheck "verify certificate" for it to connect.

I would first try it with "use secure connection" and if it fails, try unchecking that.

sigpic

Comment

You should be doing something like:

Username: domain/username
                            Password: your domain password
                            email address: Your work email address
                            server: if you have an OWA address like www.mydomain.com/exchange, then more than likely it is www.mydomain.com without the /exchange at the end.

It is very possible you will need to uncheck "verify certificate" for it to connect.

I would first try it with "use secure connection" and if it fails, try unchecking that.
                            Ooooooh, that makes a lot more sense. I was trying to connect to the exchange address within Outlook, which is something like exch0703.mydomain.edu.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X