I Think It Is Kind Of Scary.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Think It Is Kind Of Scary.

That todays kids have become so Insulated from the rest of the world.

I'm 45, and like a lot of you that are my age, this time of year was spent outside, playing, riding bikes, going over to freinds houses, just getting out and always having fun.

But I have kids, and now Grandkids, that just sit in their rooms, computers, video games, DVDs, Cell Phones, you know the usual everyday electronic babysitting gadgets that dominate the youths lives now.

My Wife commented that the kids don't know how to go out, and just "Make up games" like we used to, there is no more imagination now really at all.

Another thing that just blows me away now is the state of Radio. I remember when I was growing up that was the thing to do, the DJ would always play something DIFFERENT that you have never heard before. You just know, he was sitting there with a 6-pack, kicked back, and would play a whole ALBUM SIDE of GOOD Rock and Roll. Today its just a computerized rugurgatation of the same songs that were new 30-40 YEARS AGO!!! And a lot of the stations dont even have a live DJ anymore, and I have been told they are just a Corprate run side business of some bigger business.

i was just curious if anyone else my age was as reminiscent of the way it used to be, LOL!
    sigpicoh YEAH?

I'm not 45 yet so I don't how drastically things change. As technology gets more advanced, it will only get worse.

Comment

I don't have a problem with technology. I just have a problem to attachment to technology. It's annoying when people don't appreciate simple everyday things in life. Sometimes I enjoy sitting outside and looking at the world, watching the sky move and trees blow and birds chirp. It's amazing, this world and the way it works, but unfortunate that such things go unnoticed by many.

Also I include cars with the annoying things. They make life easier, but they also make it faster. And they are noisy and interfere with my peaceful observations of the world

Comment

I think it's a 50/50 split between both parents and technology. I said something about this on facebook a while back.

I had said that when I was a kid, my grandmother locked us out the house, and the only time we came to the house was for a dollar.(Ice cream)

So me, my cousins,brother and sisters, along with our friends would just endless playing from 11am to 6pm. If we got thirsty, the water hose was always there.

We never played in the house, and even as technology started to make it's face, we still played outside.

Today parents are more strict on what they allow there kids to do, when it comes to outside. As someone said to me before, when I was talking about this, pedophiles and what not get parents to not want there kids outside.

I personally think today's parents are getting soft on there kids in more than just them being outside.

My little cousin told my aunt she doesn't have fun outside. In my head I said, when I was little we made fun.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by Axemaster View Post

I'm 45, and like a lot of you that are my age, this time of year was spent outside, playing, riding bikes, going over to freinds houses, just getting out and always having fun.

But I have kids, and now Grandkids, that just sit in their rooms, computers, video games, DVDs, Cell Phones, you know the usual everyday electronic babysitting gadgets that dominate the youths lives now.

My Wife commented that the kids don't know how to go out, and just "Make up games" like we used to, there is no more imagination now really at all.

Another thing that just blows me away now is the state of Radio. I remember when I was growing up that was the thing to do, the DJ would always play something DIFFERENT that you have never heard before. You just know, he was sitting there with a 6-pack, kicked back, and would play a whole ALBUM SIDE of GOOD Rock and Roll. Today its just a computerized rugurgatation of the same songs that were new 30-40 YEARS AGO!!! And a lot of the stations dont even have a live DJ anymore, and I have been told they are just a Corprate run side business of some bigger business.

i was just curious if anyone else my age was as reminiscent of the way it used to be, LOL!
          Good points. From you and Amari. He pointed to technology, and he's right. Social networking/communication can be done in private. I've stated numerous times that I believe people relish in the ability to present themselves as who they want people to see them as. It's easier to do this when they aren't physically present. It goes deeper than that though. The closely knit community is gone. There are a lot of factors that contributed to this, but today there is a disconnect and lack of concern for the fellow man. Children aren't being raised by parents, teachers, and friends/neighbors in the community anymore. They are being raised by corporate America. They are being turned into consumers. Most look at me like I'm an extreme nutbag when I say things like this, and that's cool, but if they can't see that kids spend most of their time killing each other in video games or conversing on Facebook etc., then they simply don't want to see it. That's my take.

About the music industry. I read an article somewhere, discussing how the variety in music has dwindled as the record labels have been compressed. There are only a select few that own the music industry these days, and they are all about making money. This guy went on to discuss how they not only narrow the market by producing music that they know will sell, but they create the market, because they dissuade creativity in musicians. He was ultimately talking about censorship. I think you can see some of the effects of this when you turn on the radio.

Comment

Kids today, yester-year

I am 55 and grew up on the East coast during the '60's. When I came home from school, I changed into "play clothes" and was outside until called in for dinner. My friends and I explored the woods around the creek. Many times we played some kind of sports oriented games: stickball, baketball, touch football, even stuff like croquet, badminton and ping pong. After sitting in a classroom all day for 6+ hours, it didn't make sense to us (or our parents) to go home and sit on our butts the rest of the day. Kids need to move, run, jump, swim, flex their muscles and breathe hard. When you're playing a game, it's called FUN, otherwise it's just exercise.
            On Saturday or Sundays we often went to a huge county park for walks in the woods, sledding in the winter. My Mom hated TV; when the weather was bad, we typically played board games. In my view, it's up to the parents to boot the kids outside and limit their access to all the electronic gizmos.
            Sports and outdoor activities were also a good way to isolatete ourselves, to some extent, from the madness of the 1960's. I mean, Vietnam, assassinations, anti-war protests, hippies-yippies- and drippies and drugs and rioting; growing up back then was no picnic either, and having a good family life helped provide an anchor of stability.

Comment

I'm 20 so I'm just leaving that youth stage, but among me and my friends there was plenty of imagination and "making up games", just in a different sense.

Plenty of video games give you creation tools that allow you to basically make whatever you want. A lot of games are hugely based around the idea of user created content where individual people make their own stages, gametypes etc., post it online, and let other people download it and mess with it. I guess it's hard to explain it in detail to somebody who likely doesn't play games at all, but games like MineCraft, Little Big Planet, Halo, etc. can turn into hundreds of hours of fun based on pure imagination.

Online gaming has somewhat taken this away, but back when the original Xbox came it the best parties I ever went to were LAN parties where 4-5 kids would load up their TV's and consoles, we'd lug them over to a friends house, set it all up in a garage, and play hours and hours of Halo.

I agree with the idea that at some point it can get bad, but all my friends and I have spent thousands of hours playing video games over the last many years of our lives and are not at all lacking imagination or an ability to go out and come up with our own fun. I know that there's a very clear cut stigma that is associated with the thought of being outside, riding bikes, and sitting inside playing video games, and at times I think it's a little unfair.

Sure you don't get the same physical workout that you do by playing a game, but as long as you supplement it in some way like all my friends did with sports or going to the gym etc. you'll be just fine. I think video games are definitely a negative when you're entering your 8th day locked inside playing a game with empty soda cans littering your desk, but some of the most hilarious moments of my life have occured playing games online with 4-5 friends at a time.

It's not as if you don't socialize while playing games, I just think the idea of video games is too quickly associated with being locked up without contact of the outside world when at times it's the only reason I even talk to some friends that moved away for college years ago. I'm not saying video games are harmless, you need to be able to manage yourself like an adult, but as long as you're smart with it it's a great way to keep in touch with friends and have a ridiculous amount of fun.

Comment

This is a very good thread Axemaster, and i agree with you guys. As i sit here typing, my niece and two nephews are on their Ipod, Nintendo DS and watching a show called "My babysitter's a vampire". Yes, i let them do it, but in moderation. We will be going for a long walk to Ala Moana beach pretty soon. For me, i grew up about 2-3 blocks away from the beach, and the majority of the time i would go to the beach (even by myself), and that's how i met alot of my lifetime friends. The community center (Park) was right across from where i lived, so i could be found playing Basketball, Foootball etc. I really believe that alot of parents do want the best for their kids, but jobs can put strain on their time and energy. The world does need to slow down. I remember growing up when television show / music considered "A$$" as a big no-no, what's next the F-bomb?.
                HE>i

Comment

I say the Atari days were when games were full of imagination. Atari games were the bare basics of graphics, they were basically just pixels. My dad owned one when he was a kid, he would tell me how they would have to call squares--bombs, dots--bullets, heads--circles, etc. And back then they didn't have cellphones, laptops, and Facebook. It was either go outside, or play the Atari, much different than today. I can see where you're coming from Hoser, but playing games with friends online doesn't bring the same enjoyment as playing with them in the same room on the same system, and that's what I miss most about the classic era of gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                    I say the Atari days were when games were full of imagination. Atari games were the bare basics of graphics, they were basically just pixels. My dad owned one when he was a kid, he would tell me how they would have to call squares--bombs, dots--bullets, heads--circles, etc. And back then they didn't have cellphones, laptops, and Facebook. It was either go outside, or play the Atari, much different than today. I can see where you're coming from Hoser, but playing games with friends online doesn't bring the same enjoyment as playing with them in the same room on the same system, and that's what I miss most about the classic era of gaming.
                    I do agree online gaming has taken some of that away where you're in the same room together, I mentioned that when I was talking about how Halo LAN parties were just pure awesome because we were all there in person.

However I still get a similar experience since my roommate and I pretty much always play the same games online together with other friends that aren't really there, and I'm not saying playing a game with somebody online is a good substitute for hanging out with a friend in person, but I don't think it's as cut and dry 'bad' as some people who don't have much experience with it view it.

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                      I think it's a 50/50 split between both parents and technology. I said something about this on facebook a while back.

I had said that when I was a kid, my grandmother locked us out the house, and the only time we came to the house was for a dollar.(Ice cream)

So me, my cousins,brother and sisters, along with our friends would just endless playing from 11am to 6pm. If we got thirsty, the water hose was always there.

We never played in the house, and even as technology started to make it's face, we still played outside.

Today parents are more strict on what they allow there kids to do, when it comes to outside. As someone said to me before, when I was talking about this, pedophiles and what not get parents to not want there kids outside.

I personally think today's parents are getting soft on there kids in more than just them being outside.

My little cousin told my aunt she doesn't have fun outside. In my head I said, when I was little we made fun.
                      I'm not quite 45 being 26 but that's the way my summers were. In Jr. High I might have played some N64 with friends after we played street hockey, but in elementry my house was the place always holding football, soccer, baseball games. I miss those times it was greatness.
                      sigpic
                      Sig pic by dbfan2007

Originally posted by kishzilla
                      You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
                      You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
                      Have It All - Blu3
                      Conceited - Blu3
                      Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
                      All On You - Blu3

Comment

Seen Wall-E?

It's going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Foez View Post
                          I'm not quite 45 being 26 but that's the way my summers were. In Jr. High I might have played some N64 with friends after we played street hockey, but in elementry my house was the place always holding football, soccer, baseball games. I miss those times it was greatness.
                          I'm not quite 45 either. I'm 19, but I guess it's a who your parents are and what year you're born.

The Early 90's was not too different from the 80's. Things didn't really change till the late 90's, maybe 1995. That's when everything started off, since that's the year most of the current under 18 teenagers where born.
                          sigpic
                          Adopted Broncos:
                          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

It's very scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Axemaster View Post

oddly enough, smart phones have gotten kids back outside

yeah you can't see a kid outside for more than 10 seconds before you see em txt someone, but kids are hanging out outside more, and walking the streets with their friends (at least where i live)

the smart phone has made it possible for them to keep in touch with EVERY ONE of their friends....24/7

now i'd be more worried that they're not getting enough sleep!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X