Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who can tell me something about Puebla?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who can tell me something about Puebla?

    I might have a job opportunity in West Puebla. From what I can tell via the internet it seems to be an "ok" place to live.

    Can anybody tell me more about it? My job offer would probably only be in the 50-55k range starting out. Does anyone know if that would be ok for a family with 4 kids?

    How far is it from Denver?
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

  • #2
    I'll be honest - Pueblo and West Pueblo are two of my least favorite areas along the front range. It's very hot in the summer, it's a ways from the mountains, and it's, well, for lack of a better description, kind of ugly. Although Colorado Springs is less than an hour drive, and I love Colorado Springs.

    That's not to say you couldn't enjoy the area and make a decent life for you and your family. I personally would not move there, but everyone is different.

    The money should be enought to live off of, but it could be pretty tight. Probably no different than anywere though. Pueblo and West Pueblo are going to be

    Are you able to take a weekend and visit the area? See if it passes the "eyeball" test?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
      I might have a job opportunity in West Puebla. From what I can tell via the internet it seems to be an "ok" place to live.

      Can anybody tell me more about it? My job offer would probably only be in the 50-55k range starting out. Does anyone know if that would be ok for a family with 4 kids?

      How far is it from Denver?
      It's actually Pueblo West. It's not a bad place to live, really. Pueblo, on the other hand, is bad in certain neighborhoods; but Pueblo West is like a richer suburb of Pueblo.

      Where is the job at? 50-55k starting is really good for Pueblo because the cost is living is pretty low compared to many other places in Colorado. It's about 2 hours away from Denver. I would come out and see it before making a decision, but if you're looking to live closer to Denver, then you might want to hold off.

      I grew up in Pueblo and I hate it, so I might not be the best person to ask. I just think Northern Colorado is a much better place to live, and so is Colorado Springs.
      sigpic


      @BlueNOrangeFTW

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
        I'll be honest - Pueblo and West Pueblo are two of my least favorite areas along the front range. It's very hot in the summer, it's a ways from the mountains, and it's, well, for lack of a better description, kind of ugly. Although Colorado Springs is less than an hour drive, and I love Colorado Springs.

        That's not to say you couldn't enjoy the area and make a decent life for you and your family. I personally would not move there, but everyone is different.

        The money should be enought to live off of, but it could be pretty tight. Probably no different than anywere though. Pueblo and West Pueblo are going to be

        Are you able to take a weekend and visit the area? See if it passes the "eyeball" test?
        It depends on whether or not the interview process gets that far. I'm going to call the recruiter here shortly. If they aren't willing to offer relocation fees, or help with housing for for the first few months, then I probably won't pursue it further.

        My interest level would also depend on whether or not they offer some type of vehicle assistance. Most decent restoration companies will offer a vehicle allowance (or a vehicle) along with paying for your gas.

        The 50-55 doesn't worry me. That's a standard base pay for an entry level estimator, but if they're a good company there should be room to earn more than that.

        Geographically it doesn't concern me too much. From what I can tell it's fairly similar to where I live (except the Boise metro area is a lot nicer) The aired climate and the summer heat is almost identical (believe it or not).

        I'm just concerned that I might be considering moving to an area with a gang problem, similar to Nampa, Idaho which is one of the cities in the Boise metro area.
        sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
          I'm just concerned that I might be considering moving to an area with a gang problem, similar to Nampa, Idaho which is one of the cities in the Boise metro area.
          There is no gang problem in Pueblo West, that I can assure you. In certain parts of Pueblo there can be though. Like I said I grew up there, so I'd be more than willing to show you around if you want to come out and look at it.
          sigpic


          @BlueNOrangeFTW

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BluenOrnge4Life View Post
            There is no gang problem in Pueblo West, that I can assure you. In certain parts of Pueblo there can be though. Like I said I grew up there, so I'd be more than willing to show you around if you want to come out and look at it.
            Thanks for the offer dude....we'll see how the phone interview goes.

            Being two hours from Denver would be definitely close enough. Also, I'd still get to see Boise State once a year there because the AFA, CSU, and Wyoming are within driving distance of Puebla West (New Mexico probably is too).

            I can handle hot summers...it's cold winters I don't care for.

            What are the schools like there? Do they have any good football programs? My oldest son is a fairly exceptional athlete, and might have a chance at a scholarship.
            sigpic
            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BluenOrnge4Life View Post
              I grew up in Pueblo and I hate it, so I might not be the best person to ask.
              ...or perhaps THE best person to ask?
              Winter is Coming!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                ...or perhaps THE best person to ask?
                That's funny, but true...

                What do you know about Puebla West?
                sigpic
                Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                  That's funny, but true...

                  What do you know about Puebla West?
                  Not near as much as BluenOrnge4Life or other Puebloans could tell you, but most importantly I can tell you that from my perspective Pueblo West seems to be a much more attractive locale than Pueblo proper.

                  Most people in the state probably consider Pueblo and Pueblo West to be one and the same, and that's a little unfair to P West. Pueblo's about 4 hours away from me on US 50 ("The Loneliest Highway in America", if that tells you anything. ). I've been there several times, and know people from there, but wouldn't know enough to give you an accurate assessment. To me, the worst thing about Pueblo West might possibly be the fact that it's so close to Pueblo.

                  But honestly, and I don't mean to offend anyone, it seems that most Coloradoans think of Pueblo as the pox ridden bastard stepchild of the state. Warranted or not, that's what people think. (Again, I'm talking about Pueblo here, not Pueblo West) It's funny because it's one of those places that always seems to get a snicker when mentioned. Anyone who's lived there or visited there always has some derogatory comment about the place, and the joke is usually well-received. You also hear the name pronounced about a dozen different ways, depending on who's saying it and what their opinion is. Personally, I wouldn't live there, but what do I know...

                  (really only that I'm biased and partially blind.)

                  Seems to me that there's several Puebloans on the board. Charlie Brown, maybe?

                  It'll be interesting to see what others have to say.

                  Winter is Coming!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                    Thanks for the offer dude....we'll see how the phone interview goes.

                    Being two hours from Denver would be definitely close enough. Also, I'd still get to see Boise State once a year there because the AFA, CSU, and Wyoming are within driving distance of Puebla West (New Mexico probably is too).

                    I can handle hot summers...it's cold winters I don't care for.

                    What are the schools like there? Do they have any good football programs? My oldest son is a fairly exceptional athlete, and might have a chance at a scholarship.
                    Anytime! Pueblo West High School is a relatively new school and didn't used to be the best football team, but in the past 5 years or so, they've really turned it around- PWHS won the 4a State title in 2007. I think they've been in the playoffs almost every year since 2006 with the exception of one year.

                    Pueblo South is another solid school in Pueblo as far as football goes.
                    Last edited by BluenOrnge4Life; 07-06-2011, 02:46 PM.
                    sigpic


                    @BlueNOrangeFTW

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                      Not near as much as BluenOrnge4Life or other Puebloans could tell you, but most importantly I can tell you that from my perspective Pueblo West seems to be a much more attractive locale than Pueblo proper.

                      Most people in the state probably consider Pueblo and Pueblo West to be one and the same, and that's a little unfair to P West. Pueblo's about 4 hours away from me on US 50 ("The Loneliest Highway in America", if that tells you anything. ). I've been there several times, and know people from there, but wouldn't know enough to give you an accurate assessment. To me, the worst thing about Pueblo West might possibly be the fact that it's so close to Pueblo.

                      But honestly, and I don't mean to offend anyone, it seems that most Coloradoans think of Pueblo as the pox ridden bastard stepchild of the state. Warranted or not, that's what people think. (Again, I'm talking about Pueblo here, not Pueblo West) It's funny because it's one of those places that always seems to get a snicker when mentioned. Anyone who's lived there or visited there always has some derogatory comment about the place, and the joke is usually well-received. You also hear the name pronounced about a dozen different ways, depending on who's saying it and what their opinion is. Personally, I wouldn't live there, but what do I know...

                      (really only that I'm biased and partially blind.)

                      Seems to me that there's several Puebloans on the board. Charlie Brown, maybe?

                      It'll be interesting to see what others have to say.

                      You hit the nail on the head buddy.
                      sigpic


                      @BlueNOrangeFTW

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I know that tons of US Gov literature is printed in Pueblo:

                        http://pueblo.gsa.gov/




                        Sorry Big Al, that's all that I know about Pueblo.




                        .

                        May God Bless all men and women of our Armed Forces, past and present
                        The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing
                        http://www.navyjack.info/history.html
                        My Adopted Bronco is #95 Derek Wolfe

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Al

                          My Mom and Dad lived in Pueblo (not to be confused with Puebla, an industrial city in Mexico), Colorado from 1973 to 1999. They lived just off of US Highway 50 East of the airport. I visited them often since it was only a five hour drive.

                          Actually, my Dad continued living in Pueblo until his death in 2006. He was living in the VA Nursing home which is also on the East side not too far from where he had lived. We visited him regularly as well.

                          My Mom and Dad liked living in Pueblo. If you have a decent job opportunity there, Al, look into it. You might like it, too. People from other parts of Colorado have long teased Pueblo, but it is just fine especially if it is job related.

                          Pueblo is a scary two hour drive from Denver. The mountains are near. May I recommend Beulah, Phantom Canyon (North of Canon City) and Cripple Creek at the other end of Phantom Canyon from Canon City? Keep going West on Highway 50 and you'll cross Monarch Pass and down into Gunnison County, one of the more beautiful areas of the state.

                          My brother-in-law plays in a band that performs every year at Oktoberfest down at the train station in the old historic part of town. If you move to Pueblo, I'll meet you there.
                          Last edited by samparnell; 07-06-2011, 05:08 PM.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Pueblo! I'm always having to defend it around here



                            But seriously, I love it here. We have hot summers, mild winters, low cost of living. We're close enough to Denver and Colorado Springs for good shopping and fun stuff.

                            Pueblo West is just wind and weeds, but the homes are really cheap.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by KatieElway7 View Post
                              Pueblo West is just wind and weeds, but the homes are really cheap.
                              The homes are generally a lot newer & nicer. I'm not sure how they're cheap in relation to the homes in Pueblo.
                              sigpic


                              @BlueNOrangeFTW

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X