X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot treads water for 17 hours after crash

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

amazing.

HARBOR BEACH, Mich. (AP) -- A New York pilot who crashed into Lake Huron and survived without a life jacket by swimming and treading water for about 17 hours says he was finally rescued Wednesday when he frantically waved a sock to get the attention of people on a boat.

it goes on from there

That's very impressive, but my first thought was "surely he could have found an item of clothing larger than a sock to wave?"

sigpic
    - ★ -
    2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

That is VERY amazing.

I remember reading a story about a son with down syndrome get swept out to sea. His father went after him and also got caught in the current.

They both swam and tread for something like 14hrs I think it was, THROUGH the night. They called out to each other "To Infinity...." and the would call back "...And Beyond!!" to make sure they always heard each other.

None the less, amazing story of survival and will. Makes me wonder if I could even do that. I'm a pretty good swimmer, but treading water for an hour would be hard!!

Comment

He swam 15 miles too... amazing

Comment

I wonder if he was wondering when a certain trade would finally happen...
          Show your joy

Comment

this much I know... I likely would have drowned in that situation...
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
            Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

he was probably trained to to that and in great shape. in the ocean it probably wouldn't work but on a lake i can see surviving a long time.

if there isn't a lot of huge waves you can rest by using the "dead man float". but doing that for 17 hours while swimming that far is indeed impressive.
              sigpic

Comment

Saw the story on the news here in Detroit, I wanna know what is going on in the sky's.

There has been a good number of plane crashes above Michigan lakes.

As for this guy, he is clearly in great shape being able to swim 15 miles, with that just because it's summer doesn't mean the water is warm. Lake Huron water is pretty icy even this time of year.(Icy as in very cold, not icy as in there is ice)
                sigpic
                Adopted Broncos:
                EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by baphamet View Post
                  he was probably trained to to that and in great shape. in the ocean it probably wouldn't work but on a lake i can see surviving a long time.

if there isn't a lot of huge waves you can rest by using the "dead man float". but doing that for 17 hours while swimming that far is indeed impressive.
                  I don't get it...

He mentioned in the article that he wasn't very fit at all, and he was kinda chubby.. (which helped him stay buoyant).

Plus in the ocean, you are more buoyant than you are in fresh water.. since water is more dense with salt in it.

Comment

Working...
                  X