Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick, Star Wars Nerds...What's That One Planet...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
    it's also interesting that a lot of the gas giants they're finding are relatively close to their stars, whereas the gas giants of our system are the farthest away from our star.
    It's because those are the easiest to find. The large gas giants closest to their suns pull on the star enough in their orbit to make the sun it is traveling around wobble. They look for this wobble when trying to find distant planets. There may very well be other planets near these suns, but they are too small to see. The only reason they can see these, is because they pass in front of their suns from our perspective and we can analyze their light signature to get a breakdown of what their composition is.

    Jupiter and Saturn actually make our sun "wobble". Their massive size has a tidal effect on the sun that some scientists say effects the solar cycle, causing an 11 year solar radiation variation, that causes changes in space weather and to some degree, the weather and climate on Earth. We're entering the tail end of the last cycle now.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
      It's because those are the easiest to find. The large gas giants closest to their suns pull on the star enough in their orbit to make the sun it is traveling around wobble. They look for this wobble when trying to find distant planets. There may very well be other planets near these suns, but they are too small to see. The only reason they can see these, is because they pass in front of their suns from our perspective and we can analyze their light signature to get a breakdown of what their composition is.

      Jupiter and Saturn actually make our sun "wobble". Their massive size has a tidal effect on the sun that some scientists say effects the solar cycle, causing an 11 year solar radiation variation, that causes changes in space weather and to some degree, the weather and climate on Earth. We're entering the tail end of the last cycle now.
      right. i'm just saying it's interesting that those gas giants are closer to their suns than ours are. the majority of the ones they've found orbit at a distance ranging from Earth's distance to closer than Mercury's.

      even the few planets they've found that could be "earth-like" are almost as big as, if not bigger than Jupiter, but are solid. there's no way, at least right now, we'd be able to see significantly smaller planets this far out unless they were extremely close to their sun, which would make them inhabitable.

      and, as you mentioned, they have to be lined up with Earth just right in their orbit around their own star in order for us to see them. so there's no telling how many systems our there have planets orbiting them but since they don't cross their star at an angle we can see, we have no way of knowing.
      sigpic

      DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
        even the few planets they've found that could be "earth-like" are almost as big as, if not bigger than Jupiter, but are solid.
        A solid "earth like" planet that size, with a molten iron core like our own, could be considered uninhabitable. Unless you're able to squat a few times your own weight with ease lol
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
          A solid "earth like" planet that size, with a molten iron core like our own, could be considered uninhabitable. Unless you're able to squat a few times your own weight with ease lol
          Hmmmmm, Spring Training camp?
          sigpic
          I Adopt #77 well damn!
          Milla Da QB Killa' #77
          Fox Rocks #77

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
            A solid "earth like" planet that size, with a molten iron core like our own, could be considered uninhabitable. Unless you're able to squat a few times your own weight with ease lol
            well they never said it'd be habitable for humans

            but that doesn't mean some other life form can't live there that is able to handle the gravity etc.

            maybe they would be GIANT beings like some of the creatures on Avatar... or maybe in order to handle the gravity, they'd be small or "light" weight themselves due to the gravity... although they couldn't be too frail or small because then they'd risk being crushed under the atmosphere or uh...gravity.

            gravity. lol. (how many more times can i say gravity....let's weigh the gravity of the situation here).
            sigpic

            DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

            Comment


            • #21
              sigpic
              I Adopt #77 well damn!
              Milla Da QB Killa' #77
              Fox Rocks #77

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Garywolf001 View Post
                I didn't give you permission to post my picture:nono:
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                  well they never said it'd be habitable for humans

                  but that doesn't mean some other life form can't live there that is able to handle the gravity etc.

                  maybe they would be GIANT beings like some of the creatures on Avatar... or maybe in order to handle the gravity, they'd be small or "light" weight themselves due to the gravity... although they couldn't be too frail or small because then they'd risk being crushed under the atmosphere or uh...gravity.

                  gravity. lol. (how many more times can i say gravity....let's weigh the gravity of the situation here).
                  Maybe they'd be like a race of land halibut. That would be able to resist the weight and pressure of a heavy atmosphere/gravity. land halibut...
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by DevilSpawn View Post
                    I believe they're going by the elements that make the planet gassy, which made it hard for solid matter to form when the planet itself took shape. Something like that I think.
                    The one thing that makes our planet gassy is Raider fans.










                    Knowing our own gas giants have different yet similar characteristics has to mean that these other solar systems do in fact have solid planets or more stable ones if you will, unless their sun is so much hotter than ours.

                    I find this whole thing intriguing to say the least.
                    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
                      I didn't give you permission to post my picture:nono:
                      Sorry, all you Hutts look the same to me
                      sigpic
                      I Adopt #77 well damn!
                      Milla Da QB Killa' #77
                      Fox Rocks #77

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X