Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The French concede Lance Armstrong is unbeatable in their own race!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The French concede Lance Armstrong is unbeatable in their own race!!

Those jerks are changing their own race to let the rest of the world compete better with our Mr. Armstrong. Apparently, they're making the mountainous regious less strenuous since they're Lance's strongest area. It's almost a compliment that they feel the need to altar the race just because of him. No offense to any French folk out there, I'm just a bit irritated.
    Quoted from '05 Tour may not play to Armstrong's strengths

PARIS (AP) -- The 2005 Tour de France may give other riders a chance to test Lance Armstrong, if he goes for a seventh straight title.

The mountaintop finishes are less intense and the time trials shorter, possibly cutting into Armstrong's strengths.

Organizers on Thursday unveiled the 2005 Tour route, which runs from July 2-24, passes through Germany and features 21 stages over 2,222 miles.

Replacing the customary opening day prologue is an 11.8-mile time trial from Fromentiere to Noirmoutier-en-L'Ile. Armstrong usually dominates clock races, and the short distance of the opening stage seems designed to minimize the gaps the Texan can open.

It also means he'll have to be in top form right away. This year's race, with a mountain time trial and three intense uphill sprints, played into the Texan's hands.

Armstrong has yet to fully commit to the 2005 Tour, but in July said the lure of the world's biggest cycling race is tough to resist.

He captured a record sixth straight title with an overall winning margin of 6 minutes, 19 seconds over Germany's Andreas Kloden. Italy's Ivan Basso was 6:40 back in third followed by Germany's Jan Ullrich, 8:50 back.

"Lance remains favorite and will be stronger next year," Basso said.

Having changed his sponsor from U.S. Postal Service to Discovery Channel, Armstrong's new backers may insist he goes for Tour win No. 7. However, the team's sporting director, Johan Bruyneel sounded less than certain.

"We want to wait until July to make a decision," Bruyneel said. "I think it's 50-50. He will take part if the thinks he can win it. If things do not go according to how he likes them, it's possible he will not be here."

Beginning in the coastal Atlantic Vendee region, the 2005 route snakes diagonally upward through the Loire Valley, where the team time trial takes place in Tours on July 4. It then heads into Champagne country before reaching the German border city of Karlsruhe on July 8. Riders leave Germany the following day from Pforzheim and the route travels clockwise.

"We decided it was Germany's turn," Tour race director Jean-Marie Leblanc said. "We know how much the Germans love cycling."

Following the Pyrenees, several flat stages favor sprinters before the 34.1-mile time trial in Saint-Etienne on July 23. If Armstrong has not opened a significant gap by then, it will be his last chance to do so.

"We will have a very technical, difficult time trial," Leblanc said.

The 2005 race features nine climbing stages -- three of them moderate -- beginning July 10 in the Alps and concluding July 19 in the Pyrenees. The six tough climbs are split between the Alps and the Pyrenees, and place a huge burden on Armstrong's teammates, who will get little rest.

"As for the course, it is tough physically and that is something to keep in mind," Bruyneel said. "The whole last week will be very tough."

Of the Pyrenees climbs, the 127-mile leg on July 17 is sure to be poignant for Armstrong. It features the Col du Portet d'Aspet, where Armstrong's teammate, Fabio Casartelli, died in 1995 after crashing on a descent.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

In a sense, it's no different then instituting a salary cap in football. All it is is trying to level the playing field and make it more entertaining for those who watch.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Is Lance even gonna race next year? I'd think he'd retire now.

The earth is but one country and mankind it's citizens
      Baha'u'llah

"Everyone takes turns making mistakes in poker. The trick is to skip your turn."
      Mike Caro

"The all-in play works every time but once"

You can observe a lot just by watching.
      Yogi Berra

every year.

Comment

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
        In a sense, it's no different then instituting a salary cap in football. All it is is trying to level the playing field and make it more entertaining for those who watch.
        Not quite. The salary cap prevents one team from spending more than another can afford in order to stockpile talent and thus buy a better team.

Lance is one man against other men already on equal footing. There is no danger of one man buying a better body (barring steroids) than others. It's pure physical talent versus physical talent. It'd have been like saying Muhammad Ali won too many bouts because of his superious footwoork so the boxing org decided to implement high-tach boxing mats to slow him down and let his opponents have a better shot at winning.

Changing the race to diminish Lance's strengths is just admitting that they can't beat him in an event of their own devising.
        "You can't take the sky from me..."
        ------
        "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
          Not quite. The salary cap prevents one team from spending more than another can afford in order to stockpile talent and thus buy a better team.

Lance is one man against other men already on equal footing. There is no danger of one man buying a better body (barring steroids) than others. It's pure physical talent versus physical talent. It'd have been like saying Muhammad Ali won too many bouts because of his superious footwoork so the boxing org decided to implement high-tach boxing mats to slow him down and let his opponents have a better shot at winning.

Changing the race to diminish Lance's strengths is just admitting that they can't beat him in an event of their own devising.
          i agree............. in easy terms the pansie french are saying if we cant compete at lances level,,,, then we'll make lance compete at our much lower level
          sigpic
          when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon

Well, I guess first I'd say that the French, along with everybody else already know they can't beat Lance. Everybody calls him the best, including the French. That's pretty clear to everyone involved considering he's won six in a row.

I think you also have to realize that this is not something new. The course changes very often. The people in charge are trying to widen the attention given to the sport by going into germany (they've gone to spain, england, even spoke of going to ireland)....they had to get rid of some other stages in order to do this obviously.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho
              i agree............. in easy terms the pansie french are saying if we cant compete at lances level,,,, then we'll make lance compete at our much lower level
              Well, clearly, you don't watch the sport. The french would have to do much more to bring everything down to their level. It's not as if Lance is #1 and France is #2. There were 11 cyclists between 1st place and 12th place (highest placing frenchman).
              Additionally, a frenchmen hasn't even won it since 1985, so if they were going to change things around strictly so they could win, it would have been done sometime ago.

Comment

They made the zone defence rule in the NBA specifically for Shaq..

I agree with Javalon this is BS. I would like to see Lance go out on top Elway style.
                My Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey

Comment

Originally posted by ARBroncos
                  They made the zone defence rule in the NBA specifically for Shaq..

I agree with Javalon this is BS. I would like to see Lance go out on top Elway style.
                  Lance is on top. He's still the favorite to win. He hasn't even decided if he'll race this year. This isn't such a significant change that it would lead someone else to be considering the favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
                    Well, clearly, you don't watch the sport. The french would have to do much more to bring everything down to their level. It's not as if Lance is #1 and France is #2. There were 11 cyclists between 1st place and 12th place (highest placing frenchman).
                    Additionally, a frenchmen hasn't even won it since 1985, so if they were going to change things around strictly so they could win, it would have been done sometime ago.
                    no clearly i watch the sport every year, and i see lance dominate the mountain courses and time trials, so why make them easier< so other cyclists can compete with a chance to win. so its not about keeping things level and lance is dominating, its about lets control the portions of the race lance has the biggest advantage so people of lesser desire and physical skills have a chance to beat him
                    sigpic
                    when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

no clearly i watch the sport every year, and i see lance dominate the mountain courses and time trials, so why make them easier< so other cyclists can compete with a chance to win. so its not about keeping things level and lance is dominating, its about lets control the portions of the race lance has the biggest advantage so people of lesser desire and physical skills have a chance to beat him
                      If they have less desire and physical skill, then they won't win.

Comment

so its not about keeping things level
                        Well, what is level? That's completely subjective. As it's stated above, this is not the first, nor the last time the course will be changed.

Comment

NJ, you are the epitome of anti-fun. In an attempt to throw out our chests and say the rest of the world has to 'cheat' in order to keep up with our Texan (specifically the wench), you have to voice your disconcerning opine. You're becoming more and more like aardwolf.
                          I realize living on the left coast must really suck, but how 'bout getting off of this downer crappola.......

....and enjoy freakin' life!

Have a beer!
                          "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                          tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                          men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

I'm not on a downer at all.
                            For one, I don't think such a change really changes anything for Lance. He's still #1 and he's still the fav. to win again.
                            I admit that this was done to try and bring more competition to the tour, but to say that the 'pansie french' are doing it specifically so their cyclists can win? come on....

Comment

Well, first of all, I don't think that currently a frenchie can win the tour. So I guess that the manager of the Tour want to make the race more intense and more interesting...

Lance is the best... No doubt about that... The fact is not that we don't want to see Lance winning, but to have a more interesting Tour...

Now Lance gave a strong message during the first day... He's there and he wants to win... My point is that he'll win again... No other racers are at his level... Except if he has a problem, Lance will win his 7th Tour...
                              He's such an amazing athlete... Congrats and respect...

Lance, please.. just let some suspens... LOL

Do you know that I worked for a former Lance's team ? Cofidis... It was when his cancer came... We send him messages of support... But the firm made a great mistake : it let Lance going... Too bad...
                              Just talk slowly please... I'm French

GO BRONCOS

(Sig made by Snk16)

(thousands of bisous for Thundergirl, une fille du tonnerre !!!)

My adoptee-a-fan are THE GIRLIES :kiss:

Comment

Working...
                              X