Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember burning the trash?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remember burning the trash?

    I distinctly remember.. when I turned 8 years old....
    my Dad tellng me I was now old enough...
    and what my new job was.

    Out the back door...
    down at the end of the sidewalk...
    sat the concrete incinerator.

    It became my job to take the trash out of the kitchen every day..
    and dump it into the top of the incinerator.
    When it was full.... then you would light it all on fire.

    At the bottom was a metal gate... and once the ashes piled up..
    you would have to lift the gate and clean out all the ashes.

    We had no trash removal trucks driving through the neighborhoods...
    those jobs did not exist.
    Anything we could not burn weekly...
    we hauled off to the dump ourselves.

    We burned all of our houshold trash.
    All of us.. everybody.

    Every house in the neighborhood had an incinerator in the back yard.
    right down at the end of the sidewalk...

    It was part of life.

    I talked to my Dad about it... he said when he was a kid..
    back in the 1930's.. they all had oval ash pits.
    Everybody burned their trash in open pits back then.

    Dad said the Concrete Incinerators seemed
    so modern to him when they first came out.

    Today.. I drove by one of 'em.
    It was like a big blast from the past.

    I had forgotten all about the incinerators.

    Here is a pic of the one I saw today.

    In a strange way.. it seemed like an old friend.

    Do YOU remember the Incinerators?
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

    Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

  • #2
    Wow man! I do!

    We had the exact same thing when I was a kid living off Evans and Holly.

    A sidewalk off the back back porch that led to the incinerator. We burned everything in it. It was bigger than that one in your pictures.

    Blast from the past....


    I remember as a kid also using one at camp up near Idaho Springs, off the Mt. Evans road. It was actually one of the camp chores kids wanted to do. Rather than sweep the cabin, or scrub the cans, it was an honor to go up to the incinerator and burn the trash.

    My dad did not let me use ours at home though. We moved away from that house when I was eight. My incinerator memories are from camp.


    Comment


    • #3
      There was a hinged cover on top...
      and the metal cover below slipped in and out through grooves.

      The one in the pics is old and hammered.....

      We would dump some lighter fluid down on teh top of it..
      then

      WHOOSH...
      lower the top down.. or not.

      I burned a ton of crap.

      I used to throw stuff into the open flames...
      I remeber standing there mesmerized by the fire.

      Then I'd set up my army men in a battle situation....
      and take the lighter fluid.. and Dennis Smith would hold a match..
      while I sprayed fluid at the battle scene..

      WHoosh.

      "Like a flame thrower! " I'd cry out.. Dennis stumbling back from the flames....
      - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

      Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

      Comment


      • #4
        We had this huge syringe type deal for the swimming pool in the summer.

        I mean it was huge. You would take it into the pool.. fill it.
        then spray the girls with the stream of water.
        Everybody would scream.


        One day.. Dennis, dan and I ..
        we filled thqat bad boy up with gasoline..
        Dennis held the Match.. and Dan started squeezing thatplunger,

        Dang Son!

        Those flames shot straight out for like 25 feet!

        It caught a shed on fire.. and shot clear over teh fence into the backyard..and the neighbors lawn went up in flames.

        I grabbed a blanket and jumped the fence... pounding out the grass..
        while Dan and Dennis ran for the hose and put out the shed and fence.

        The Dennis and I skedaddled home... 'cause it was Dan's house....

        I didn't go back over there for like a month.
        - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

        Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

        Comment


        • #5
          Jeez, you guys are old.

          I'm trying to remember some blasts from my childhood past that are lost to antiquity, and all I can come up is remembering when there were no cell phones, cordless phones were a great way to spy on neighbors and rotary phones sucked ass. Also, remote controls on televisions were luxury items and you could steal the nudy channels on cable if you crossed the cables on the box.

          Hmmm... that's all I got. :thumb:
          HEAR ME ROAR!
          sigpic
          Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

          Comment


          • #6
            After that..we figured that the syringe was a bit of overkill..
            so we took cans of spray paint..
            and we'd light that crap on fire...

            it would burn all crazy kinds of colors...
            - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

            Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
              We had this huge syringe type deal for the swimming pool in the summer.

              I mean it was huge. You would take it into the pool.. fill it.
              then spray the girls with the stream of water.
              Everybody would scream.


              One day.. Dennis, dan and I ..
              we filled thqat bad boy up with gasoline..
              Dennis held the Match.. and Dan started squeezing thatplunger,

              Dang Son!

              Those flames shot straight out for like 25 feet!

              It caught a shed on fire.. and shot clear over teh fence into the backyard..and the neighbors lawn went up in flames.

              I grabbed a blanket and jumped the fence... pounding out the grass..
              while Dan and Dennis ran for the hose and put out the shed and fence.

              The Dennis and I skedaddled home... 'cause it was Dan's house....

              I didn't go back over there for like a month.
              HAHAHAHA!

              Holy smokes Dave!

              Now I know why dad would not let me burn the trash.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals View Post
                Jeez, you guys are old.

                I'm trying to remember some blasts from my childhood past that are lost to antiquity, and all I can come up is remembering when there were no cell phones, cordless phones were a great way to spy on neighbors and rotary phones sucked ass. Also, remote controls on televisions were luxury items and you could steal the nudy channels on cable if you crossed the cables on the box.

                Hmmm... that's all I got. :thumb:
                He he..

                We all had phones with the rotary circle..
                when the keypad buttons came out...

                Whoa Nelly..

                we thought we were living in the space age!

                The Original Star Trek came out on Monday nights...
                back in like 1967...
                and it was SOOO cool. Everybody watched it ..
                even our parents.
                Mr Spock was wild. Downright modern and incredible!

                I remember wondering if we would ever have "communicators"
                like they did in the show.

                Dang if we dont have em now....
                we call 'em cell phones...

                When I look around myself..
                I realize

                "I am living in the future..."
                - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

                Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I remember when the internet was getting very popular when I was in elementary school. I think it is safe to say, no one was burning their trash during those times. You guys are OLD! Just kidding, I love old dudes, they're awesome to have a beer with. They have awesome stories, wish I could hang out with older guys most of the time. People say I am an old soul, I just don't enjoy getting trashed every weekend, going to bars that are more like clubs. I like to relax.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Rotary phones

                    Remeber the were actually connected to the wall? Hard wired, not plugged in. And they were owned by Mountain Bell.

                    I remember an MB guy coming to the house when I was a young teen. I used to use a pen to dial the phone downstairs. A Bic or a Flair. It had lots of colors on the white background.

                    Anyway, this guy comes over for something, and I remember him going into the basement/game room we had where that phone was, and him giving me all sorts of crap for ruining their property. How it would cost my dad serious money.

                    What a bad, bad little boy I was.


                    The real thing I remember about those things was you could drop them from a plane, and they would just break the ground. Nothing you could do would damage them. Hammers, bullets, fire, nothing.

                    Now you slam it down once on a telemarketer & it needs to be replaced.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
                      He he..

                      We all had phones with the rotary circle..
                      when the keypad buttons came out...

                      Whoa Nelly..

                      we thought we were living in the space age!

                      The Original Star Trek came out on Monday nights...
                      back in like 1967...
                      and it was SOOO cool. Everybody watched it ..
                      even our parents.
                      Mr Spock was wild. Downright modern and incredible!

                      I remember wondering if we would ever have "communicators"
                      like they did in the show.

                      Dang if we dont have em now....
                      we call 'em cell phones...

                      When I look around myself..
                      I realize

                      "I am living in the future..."

                      Did you know that the communicator is WHY we have have cell phones?

                      A guy at Motorola loved the idea, he invented it.

                      Star Trek is the inspiration for many things.

                      I just can't think of the others right now.



                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cahill View Post
                        I remember when the internet was getting very popular when I was in elementary school. I think it is safe to say, no one was burning their trash during those times. You guys are OLD! Just kidding, I love old dudes, they're awesome to have a beer with. They have awesome stories, wish I could hang out with older guys most of the time. People say I am an old soul, I just don't enjoy getting trashed every weekend, going to bars that are more like clubs. I like to relax.
                        Times were different..
                        TV was pretty boring... very few channels ...
                        re runs of McHales Navy and Gilligans Island.

                        Nothing on after Johnny Carson
                        after the tonight show...
                        The screen would play the national anthem..
                        then sudenly go blank until morning.

                        Tubing on Rattlesnake Hill in the winter.
                        Damn up a small creek...
                        hunt field mice with Our dog Duchess and a BB gun.
                        Hunt Frogs with a bow and arrow.

                        The WHOLE neighborhood.. All the kids..
                        getting together and playing a HUGE game of kick the can.

                        Playing WW2 army games... then going into the house for dinner..
                        afer hearing my Ma call out loud.. "DAVID!" DINNER"..
                        running inside .. round th corner...
                        and my old man sitting watching the nightly news
                        Walter Cronkite...
                        with scenes of the war in VietNam on the small screen.

                        The day the they first landed on the moon...
                        My Dad gave us money.. we walked down to U-totem
                        and brought hom ICCEES for everybody.
                        First time my dad ever had an ICCEE...
                        first time man walked on the moon.

                        My Dad taking me to my first Broncos game at Bears Stadium... aroung 67-68
                        the G was Seeve Tensi.. his blonde hair was just sneaing out from under his helmet a bit...
                        the two old guys sitting next to us kept calling him "that damn hippy".

                        Sneaking out of the window after midnight...
                        meeting Jim Klingensmith.. a couple other guys...we'd all just walk around the
                        quiet streets.. wondering where the girls might be.

                        Pool hopping late at night after the pool was closed...

                        Climbing on the roof of the school... breaking rules...

                        Getting scrubbed the last day of 6th grade by Jr high kids who looked all mean and tough.

                        Playing Spin the Bottle the first time in 7th grade...

                        Feeling sad when Janis died.. and Jimi.. and Jim Morrison. That was a tough year.

                        Hating it when the Beatles broke up.

                        Buying my first album.. Jethro Tull Benefit.
                        2nd album... Led Zeppelin 2

                        Carefully storing away my matchbox and hot wheels cars...
                        melancholy...
                        knowing I would never play with them again...
                        intending to keep them forever. ( my Nephew found 'em and trashed 'em)

                        Reading the Chroncicles of Narnia.. loving the world created by CS Lewis...
                        NEVER DREAMING they would make a movie.

                        3 years later.. reading the Hobbit. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
                        NEVER DREAMING they would make a movie.

                        Skating at Skate City. My Ma forgot to pick me up one saturday..
                        I kept waiting,, Soon... all the high school kids gathered...
                        some long haired kids got out instruments...
                        there was a dang sock hop happening.
                        Everybody dancing... I shucked my shoes and went out into the crowd of older kids...
                        dancing with myself.. bopping along.. doing a kind of indian dance..
                        not knowing what I was doing...
                        just FEELING the music.. the girls smiling at me...
                        feeling the rhthym... deciding right there..
                        I like to dance.. I like live music.. I like watching these guys pay guitar.

                        Going to the Church dances on Friday night..
                        and I was the only guy of my buds who knew how to dance.

                        Deciding I would go to a concert real soon...
                        My brother had been going to concerts... he was 15 so what I was only 12?

                        It took another year and a half..

                        My Ma would not let me go see Led Zeppelin. Or Alice Cooper.
                        "He bites the heads off of bats! " She said.
                        "Ma! " sez I "That is Ozzy Osbourn. wrong band!"
                        "I don't care... you are NOT going to a concert, Young man."

                        A week later I snuck out to the Coliseum and saw Steely Dan open for Bread.
                        Last edited by PAINTERDAVE; 09-16-2011, 05:28 PM.
                        - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

                        Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JWinn View Post
                          Remeber the were actually connected to the wall? Hard wired, not plugged in. And they were owned by Mountain Bell.

                          I remember an MB guy coming to the house when I was a young teen. I used to use a pen to dial the phone downstairs. A Bic or a Flair. It had lots of colors on the white background.

                          Anyway, this guy comes over for something, and I remember him going into the basement/game room we had where that phone was, and him giving me all sorts of crap for ruining their property. How it would cost my dad serious money.

                          What a bad, bad little boy I was.


                          The real thing I remember about those things was you could drop them from a plane, and they would just break the ground. Nothing you could do would damage them. Hammers, bullets, fire, nothing.

                          Now you slam it down once on a telemarketer & it needs to be replaced.

                          Yeah.. it was big deal when the Mountain Bell man came over..
                          we had to clean the whole house.....
                          My Ma hated if somebody came over and the house was dirty.
                          then kids - go in the back yard and dont bother him..

                          he was like some kind of special person... that dang phone was important.
                          - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

                          Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
                            Yeah.. it was big deal when the Mountain Bell man came over..
                            we had to clean the whole house.....
                            My Ma hated if somebody came over and the house was dirty.
                            then kids - go in the back yard and dont bother him..

                            he was like some kind of special person... that dang phone was important.
                            Now I browse the internet from my smart phone while I poop. Times have apparently changed a lot.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You old folk ruined the crap out of my Earth!
                              sigpic
                              Thank you Charger$

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X