No announcement yet.

7 arrested in alleged SAT cheating scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't think cheating shows the right sort of 'caring' for getting into college. Not every college cares about SAT's, I dominated mine and UT couldn't have cared less about it (which was a bummer for me), and shipped me off to a sister school for a year to prove I wasn't an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
      I think the pressure to do well on the test likely has more to do with the parents of these kid's that paid out for this shill test-taker.
      I think so too. I think you're right, Kish.

I had a student last year that was a good student. She missed about 5 weeks of the semester due to family crisis though. A death in the family one time, band trips another, and a bunch of other stuff. She missed so much class that despite being a very good student, she started to fall behind. I did everything I could to help her, and she ended up getting a B+.

Her mom went nuts that her dauther - in ninth grade I might add - got a B+. I explained that her daughter worked hard, got as much done as she could, and that I had worked with her the best I could. She did well and left with a B+.

Her mom said it could hurt her chances at college and she wasn't going to accept it. She filed a complaint.

The administrators told her to stick it, thank God. I kept it friendly and professional, but deep down inside I thought, "Wow, lady. Lighten up. It's not going to matter that she got a B+ in 9th grade History. If it does, you already screwed up somewhere."

But the pressure is still very much there for some students.

Anyway Kish... You're right.

The scores aren't that important, but to some people who are right on the edge and who are fighting to get into colleges they want... It can be a factor.

Not as much of one as they think it is, but it can be a small factor.

Some don't realize it's not as big of a factor as they think it is, and to others, it doesn't matter because they're so pressured to succeed - and tests are how we measure that for our students.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
        I think so too. I think you're right, Kish.

I had a student last year that was a good student. She missed about 5 weeks of the semester due to family crisis though. A death in the family one time, band trips another, and a bunch of other stuff. She missed so much class that despite being a very good student, she started to fall behind. I did everything I could to help her, and she ended up getting a B+.

Her mom went nuts that her dauther - in ninth grade I might add - got a B+. I explained that her daughter worked hard, got as much done as she could, and that I had worked with her the best I could. She did well and left with a B+.

Her mom said it could hurt her chances at college and she wasn't going to accept it. She filed a complaint.

The administrators told her to stick it, thank God. I kept it friendly and professional, but deep down inside I thought, "Wow, lady. Lighten up. It's not going to matter that she got a B+ in 9th grade History. If it does, you already screwed up somewhere."

But the pressure is still very much there for some students.

Anyway Kish... You're right.

The scores aren't that important, but to some people who are right on the edge and who are fighting to get into colleges they want... It can be a factor.

Not as much of one as they think it is, but it can be a small factor.

Some don't realize it's not as big of a factor as they think it is, and to others, it doesn't matter because they're so pressured to succeed - and tests are how we measure that for our students.
        The converse to that situation can be just as trying. My folks were too busy fighting each-other to worry much about my schooling, and it afforded me a fairly unreasonable amount of freedom as a high-school kid. Freedom that I took full advantage of in doing barely if any homework and doing a lot of stuff that should have gotten me into trouble but fortunately never did. Luckily I would pull my stuff together enough to stay eligible for sports, and tested well, so it hid the fact that I was a complete lazy ass with my regular homework etc. I graduated with a 2.4 GPA but I scored a 31 on my ACT (Never took the SAT). I feel like, even though it was ultimately on me to do well in school, if I had parents that pushed me, and didn't let me slide during my high school years, I could have done a lot more with myself education wise. I don't know if I could have tried any less in high school if I wanted to, but I still managed to absorb the material to score well on a standardized test. If I had gave even half a damn, that GPA could have been a lot less mediocre. I feel like making sure a high school kid gives a damn falls partially on the parents. It's rare that a kid is able to push themselves when they are that age imo.

I think the hardest thing is finding that balance. You can't put so much pressure on your kid that they feel like if they get less than stellar marks it's going to be the end all be all, but you have to push them enough so that they can take advantage of their potential.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X