Losing A Tooth Sucks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing A Tooth Sucks!

It's been a long time since I went to the dentist (who I see regularly) and realized the type of fate that was upon me. Sure, as a kid we all lose our pearly whites (do folks still use that phrase???), but at least we got a little cash reward under the pillow for that, along with the knowledge that a real tooth was going to show up soon.

Like many, I had my wisdom teeth extracted (a long time ago), mostly in the hospital, and that wasn't very cool. My face was a swollen/bruised mess....but I sure fell in love with good soup and milk shakes after that!!

And about 20 years ago one of my molars broke, primarily because I didn't get it capped when I should have (my bad).....that was just great.....took the dentist about 45 minutes to remove it, piece by piece.....that sucked!

And just to keep me honest, the other day I bit into a hard candy, and my capped molar completely broke.....it was an old cap, but still!!!! I went to the dentist with my cap in hand, and he looked over the situation and pronounced those tragic words, "can't save it".....so, they said it could be pulled there and then. And to spice things up, because part of the tooth (underneath the cap) broke as well, it was another lengthy little procedure......oh I hate the noise, and the pressure and those objects in and out of my mouth.

Sorry for the long story......trying not to acquire too much pity (as I continue to eat soft food, and only on one side of my mouth). But now I need to wait for a long time for things to heal before we get a bridge or whatever.

To be honest, this thing drained me......two days and I'm still kinda beat....it's almost like I lost a friend. And the part I don't like, is that my tongue is trying to stay far away from that fleshy spot.....it's weird. It's like it is nervous about what it will feel like!!!

Anyway........that's it for my rant. Then again, milkshakes are amazing, and the pancakes have been delicious!!!

But I miss my tooth....

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    It's been a long time since I went to the dentist (who I see regularly) and realized the type of fate that was upon me. Sure, as a kid we all lose our pearly whites (do folks still use that phrase???), but at least we got a little cash reward under the pillow for that, along with the knowledge that a real tooth was going to show up soon.

Like many, I had my wisdom teeth extracted (a long time ago), mostly in the hospital, and that wasn't very cool. My face was a swollen/bruised mess....but I sure fell in love with good soup and milk shakes after that!!

And about 20 years ago one of my molars broke, primarily because I didn't get it capped when I should have (my bad).....that was just great.....took the dentist about 45 minutes to remove it, piece by piece.....that sucked!

And just to keep me honest, the other day I bit into a hard candy, and my capped molar completely broke.....it was an old cap, but still!!!! I went to the dentist with my cap in hand, and he looked over the situation and pronounced those tragic words, "can't save it".....so, they said it could be pulled there and then. And to spice things up, because part of the tooth (underneath the cap) broke as well, it was another lengthy little procedure......oh I hate the noise, and the pressure and those objects in and out of my mouth.

Sorry for the long story......trying not to acquire too much pity (as I continue to eat soft food, and only on one side of my mouth). But now I need to wait for a long time for things to heal before we get a bridge or whatever.

To be honest, this thing drained me......two days and I'm still kinda beat....it's almost like I lost a friend. And the part I don't like, is that my tongue is trying to stay far away from that fleshy spot.....it's weird. It's like it is nervous about what it will feel like!!!

Anyway........that's it for my rant. Then again, milkshakes are amazing, and the pancakes have been delicious!!!

But I miss my tooth....
    If it's any consolation I just had my first filling yesterday and I'm nearly 30

Dentist said it wasn't even technically a cavity, just a low spot that wasn't through the enamel but he wanted to fill it anyway as a precaution.

I hadn't been to the Dentist in 4 years before that. I think he just wanted my insurance money
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
      If it's any consolation I just had my first filling yesterday and I'm nearly 30

Dentist said it wasn't even technically a cavity, just a low spot that wasn't through the enamel but he wanted to fill it anyway as a precaution.

I hadn't been to the Dentist in 4 years before that. I think he just wanted my insurance money
      THAT'S IT!!!!!

Not fair........

(mind you, the younger generations are advanced in this stuff, in my opinion)

Comment

But I miss my tooth....
        I'm in the same boat. I had a cap break on a tooth that I had a root canal on. It doesn't hurt so I don't go cause i know they are going to to want to pull the tooth. I've suspected he uses cheap filling stuff because I've had several fillings break or crack.
        sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

nobody likes it when long metal objects are inserted int he mouth.

Anyways when I was 14 I had two teeth removed from the top for my braces then when i turned 18 i had 3 impacted wisdom teeth removed. Not trying to be billy badass but It never hurt or bothered me at all , and to top it off I had them removed in the cheapest dental system in the world.

Mexico.
          Now go get your shine box

Comment

Originally posted by jc13 View Post
            nobody likes it when long metal objects are inserted int he mouth.

Anyways when I was 14 I had two teeth removed from the top for my braces then when i turned 18 i had 3 impacted wisdom teeth removed. Not trying to be billy badass but It never hurt or bothered me at all , and to top it off I had them removed in the cheapest dental system in the world.

Mexico.
            Do you eat nails for breakfast too?
            sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
              Do you eat nails for breakfast too?
              close.

I eat fear for breakfast
              Now go get your shine box

Comment

I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled in high school. It wasn't too bad though I was on some good meds for a bit. Plus, all the shakes and scrambled eggs I could eat! I have my first cavity right now but haven't been able to afford going to the dentist for it and I was told I may have to get a root canal but I'm not sure.
                sigpic
                Sig pic by dbfan2007

Originally posted by kishzilla
                You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
                You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
                Have It All - Blu3
                Conceited - Blu3
                Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
                All On You - Blu3

Comment

Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
                  I'm in the same boat. I had a cap break on a tooth that I had a root canal on. It doesn't hurt so I don't go cause i know they are going to to want to pull the tooth. I've suspected he uses cheap filling stuff because I've had several fillings break or crack.
                  Feel for you bud......just a suggestion, try not to eat anything hard on that side, because it may crack easier now (cause it's smaller)......unfortunately pulling it then may be more difficult......that's what happened to me way back.

Comment

I lost one of my two big front teeth when I was about 12 or so.

I was at summer camp, and we were at the camp's stables. We had just finished riding, and were waling back down to the camp and someone in front of me was swinging a water canteen on his finger in front of me.

One of those old big, round, steel canteens.

It left his finger and came straight for my mouth. Guess it thought I was thirsty. Impact was right on my right big tooth, out it came. Mostly.

I woke up in Idaho Springs, the closest town to camp, and in the hospital/clinic there.

I had a really ugly stub for several years and a plastic cap I could remove to gross out girls, lol.

When I was, oh, maybe 16, I got it capped with Platinum, and a Porcelain overlay. 30 years later, it's my best tooth.

My parents dentist was the greatest. I went to Myron until he dies about a decade ago. Nitrous is the way to go when in the chair. Always. Worth every penny.

I just started going back to the dentist after a five year hiatus. My last one spent all his time, MY time, talking about how he wanted to replace all my veneers my mom had installed (I have no memory of this), and other cosmetic procedures he wanted to do.

Just clean the damn teeth and fill anything that needs filling bud. Don't try to pay for your golf fees on my bill. It was like seeing a Chiropractor who wants to sign you up for a dozen visits because you have a muscle ache.

As a retired bum with no dental insurance, I pay it all out of pocket. he knew that, yet still wanted to try to clean me out every time I sat in his chair. At least that's how he came across.

My new dentist is very nice, and kinda hot for her age, lol. The new sonic cleaning can be painful. Wish she had the nitrous. But she's not a sheister like the last guy, so I am ok with it.

She sends the bill to my accountant. Out of sight, out of mind. Just the way I like it. I get out of the chair, schedule the next appointment, and beam back up to the ship. Perfect.

Someday I'll need to replace the Platinum tooth. It should jut about pay for a tank of gas.

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn View Post
                      I lost one of my two big front teeth when I was about 12 or so.

I was at summer camp, and we were at the camp's stables. We had just finished riding, and were waling back down to the camp and someone in front of me was swinging a water canteen on his finger in front of me.

One of those old big, round, steel canteens.

It left his finger and came straight for my mouth. Guess it thought I was thirsty. Impact was right on my right big tooth, out it came. Mostly.

I woke up in Idaho Springs, the closest town to camp, and in the hospital/clinic there.

I had a really ugly stub for several years and a plastic cap I could remove to gross out girls, lol.

When I was, oh, maybe 16, I got it capped with Platinum, and a Porcelain overlay. 30 years later, it's my best tooth.

My parents dentist was the greatest. I went to Myron until he dies about a decade ago. Nitrous is the way to go when in the chair. Always. Worth every penny.

I just started going back to the dentist after a five year hiatus. My last one spent all his time, MY time, talking about how he wanted to replace all my veneers my mom had installed (I have no memory of this), and other cosmetic procedures he wanted to do.

Just clean the damn teeth and fill anything that needs filling bud. Don't try to pay for your golf fees on my bill. It was like seeing a Chiropractor who wants to sign you up for a dozen visits because you have a muscle ache.

As a retired bum with no dental insurance, I pay it all out of pocket. he knew that, yet still wanted to try to clean me out every time I sat in his chair. At least that's how he came across.

My new dentist is very nice, and kinda hot for her age, lol. The new sonic cleaning can be painful. Wish she had the nitrous. But she's not a sheister like the last guy, so I am ok with it.

She sends the bill to my accountant. Out of sight, out of mind. Just the way I like it. I get out of the chair, schedule the next appointment, and beam back up to the ship. Perfect.

Someday I'll need to replace the Platinum tooth. It should jut about pay for a tank of gas.

Veneers!!! You a movie star???

Comment

Veneers!!! You a movie star???

As I said, I have no memory of getting them. I really don't. I did not even realize I had them until he suggested I replace them.

I was a monster alien in Star Trek once though. Not an episode or movie. I was offscreen, but in the credits.

Comment

I'm pretty sure i'm the king of cavities. I can't even count how many i've had in the past 5 years since i've gotten my braces off, but I don't think i've gone to a routine 6 month check up without leaving with another appointment for fillings.

Feels bad man

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post
                            I'm pretty sure i'm the king of cavities. I can't even count how many i've had in the past 5 years since i've gotten my braces off, but I don't think i've gone to a routine 6 month check up without leaving with another appointment for fillings.

Feels bad man
                            You brush your teeth right? Sorry to ask but all I can think of is you either don't or you drink waaaaaaay too much soda a day.
                            sigpic
                            Sig pic by dbfan2007

Originally posted by kishzilla
                            You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
                            You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
                            Have It All - Blu3
                            Conceited - Blu3
                            Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
                            All On You - Blu3

Comment

Originally posted by Foez View Post
                              You brush your teeth right? Sorry to ask but all I can think of is you either don't or you drink waaaaaaay too much soda a day.

It's due to me drinking tons of soda everyday for a handful of years. So much acid weakens the enamel. Here I am.

I've basically ruined my teeth due to that but the past 3 years i've rarely had any soda. Probably too late, but oh well. I'll get me some spiffy dentures!

Comment

Working...
                              X