Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apartment Leases (anyone knowledgeable?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apartment Leases (anyone knowledgeable?)

My father co-signed for my to move into my apartment since I didn't have a job at the time. I signed the lease also to move into the apartment. I still haven't given them anything that my father has signed. Since he is the co-signer and they have nothing signed by him is the lease still valid, or can I just leave? This place is crap and I would prefer to leave any way possible.

Originally posted by dbfan2007 View Post
    My father co-signed for my to move into my apartment since I didn't have a job at the time. I signed the lease also to move into the apartment. I still haven't given them anything that my father has signed. Since he is the co-signer and they have nothing signed by him is the lease still valid, or can I just leave? This place is crap and I would prefer to leave any way possible.
    I'm a little confused, how did he co-sign if you haven't given them anything he has signed?

I'm also no expert, but I don't think that invalidates the lease.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
      I'm a little confused, how did he co-sign if you haven't given them anything he has signed?

I'm also no expert, but I don't think that invalidates the lease.
      Well, he said he would. And he actually did. But he mailed the papers to me. I have them. You're probably right. But I'm just hoping for any way to get out of here. Maintenance is horrible. They even made changes to the lease AFTER I moved in, of course I stupidly signed the new lease because I didn't want to have to move back out and find another apartment. I had just moved in.

Comment

Well, he said he would. And he actually did. But he mailed the papers to me. I have them. You're probably right. But I'm just hoping for any way to get out of here. Maintenance is horrible. They even made changes to the lease AFTER I moved in, of course I stupidly signed the new lease because I didn't want to have to move back out and find another apartment. I had just moved in.
        That sucks man. My old apartment was something similar.

Comment

Try to prove unlivable conditions or try to find something they are not living up to in the lease.

Comment

Or put an ad on craigslist and get someone to take over the lease. Let them have the deposit as incentive

Comment

I just asked a friend who works for an apartment complex and she just said because the lease was signed and everything that it states in the lease...your screwed. Sorry man, that sucks but that's how they get you.
              sigpic
              Sig pic by dbfan2007

Originally posted by kishzilla
              You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
              You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
              Have It All - Blu3
              Conceited - Blu3
              Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
              All On You - Blu3

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBryce View Post
                Or put an ad on craigslist and get someone to take over the lease. Let them have the deposit as incentive
                To do that you would have to have written permission from the apartments.
                sigpic
                Sig pic by dbfan2007

Originally posted by kishzilla
                You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
                You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
                Have It All - Blu3
                Conceited - Blu3
                Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
                All On You - Blu3

Comment

Ask your apartment if you can get somebody to take over the lease. Then put an ad out and see if you can find somebody to move in.

If it's really that terrible though I'd suggest looking at how much it is to break the lease, it might just be worth it to pay for it and go that route.

Comment

this is why you always do 6th month lease

Comment

The first thing you should do is talk to your complex manager. Calmly, like a professional. Do not go in there with a head of steam and just start yelling. That will only make things worse.

Bring a list of the problems you are having and see if they can be remedied. Also bring a copy of your lease, and point out where they are not living up to the agreements stated on it, if any.

Some will tell you that the "Sticky wheel get the grease." Nonsense. This wont work in a professional relationship, which is what your in with a lease. They hold most of the cards here. Again, you need to act very professionally, and remain calm no matter what. And do not make unreasonable demands.

I understand some complex managers can be unreasonable, but in most cases, they work for someone. Someone who will have to spend money to turn around the apartment, and someone who want's his or her renters to stay as long as possible, and be happy living there.

If your manager is such a person, you can always try to contact the complex owner/s directly, or possibly the management company the manager works for. Often, this is the case, and the place to go next. It's very likely there's a management company hired by a group of owners, and not a single individual. Depends on the complex.

Try working it out first.

Be prepared though if you plan to vacate the apartment. Not only will you likely be forced to pay the remainder of the lease, you could very much hurt your credit rating. And make it harder to get an apartment anywhere else.

Remember, they can hurt you a lot worse than you can hurt them. And don't think you will get away with causing damage. Not only will you pay for that, you can go to jail for it.

Comment

well good news is i bet your dad is off the hook bad news is you arent :newspaper:
                        sigpic
                        -------

Comment

In the lease it states:
                          You and all co-applicants must sign the Lease Contract within 3 days after we give you our approval in person or by telephone or within 5 days after we mail you our approval. If you or any co-applicant fails to sign as required, we may keep the application deposit as liquidated damages, and terminate all further obligations under this agreement.

My father is a co-applicant. According to that, is the agreement even valid right now? I must note that I moved in here in mid-august. There was a delay in getting my dad's signed copy of the lease because their fax machine was broken for 2 weeks. He finally mailed them to me and I still have them. I have tried to talk to the office personnel many times about many different situations. They aren't helpful. They act as if their hands are tied every time I've had a problem. This place is owned by a company, not one landlord. So the office basically says they can't do anything because of corporate policy (whenever I have issues).

I wouldn't say this place is unlivable. But I drove through glass for the first 2 weeks I was here because it took them that long to get it out of my parking spot. The walls/floor/ceiling is paper thin. Some of the people that live around here are pretty ghetto. That's the best word I can use for it and it's not race related at all. If I can get out of my lease in December then I will move back to Kentucky then. I'd rather not have to wait until June.

Comment

In the lease it states:
                            You and all co-applicants must sign the Lease Contract within 3 days after we give you our approval in person or by telephone or within 5 days after we mail you our approval. If you or any co-applicant fails to sign as required, we may keep the application deposit as liquidated damages, and terminate all further obligations under this agreement.

My father is a co-applicant. According to that, is the agreement even valid right now? I must note that I moved in here in mid-august. There was a delay in getting my dad's signed copy of the lease because their fax machine was broken for 2 weeks. He finally mailed them to me and I still have them. I have tried to talk to the office personnel many times about many different situations. They aren't helpful. They act as if their hands are tied every time I've had a problem. This place is owned by a company, not one landlord. So the office basically says they can't do anything because of corporate policy (whenever I have issues).
                            The key words are "WE MAY".. that gives THEM the power.
                            They MAY do what they want...
                            and most likely what they want.. is for you to give them the rent each month.

IF you leave... you are liable for the the rent as it comes due.
                            If you turn over possesion to them, however...
                            they are leagally obligated to try to re-rent the unit.

Once they get a new tenant..
                            then you are off the hook and the lease is done.
                            Until then.. you are OBLIGATED to pay the rent.
                            It is illegal for them to collect rent AND to dun you for the old lease as well.

That said.. they may not try very hard to rent it......
                            and if they have any other vacancies..
                            yours would most likely be the last rented out.

JDubb's advice was sound and I would follow his lead... were I you.

It is a big lesson learned, huh?

Always look at a unit during the day...
                            then go back in the evening and check out the neighbors.
                            It is even wise to stop back by a few times.. like on a weekend evening.

Good luck

PS..

Maybe they can show the unit while you still live in it..
                            and when the get a renter..
                            then ... bingo ...you move out.

Just remember...
                            You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
                            Last edited by PAINTERDAVE; 10-11-2011, 11:19 PM.
                            - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Let me get this straight.

They have a copy of the lease with your signature, but not your dad's, although his name is on the application. Correct?

Did he sign the application? Although that probably does not really matter, unless they somehow copied his signature onto their copy of the lease itself.

Which would be a no no.

Was what he signed just a form guaranteeing your funding? If this is the case, he's not really a co-applicant. And often, a co-applicant is only on the form for just such a purpose. Especially when younger people first moving out are concerned. It's just a promise from the parent that if you should cause damage, or break the lease, he will pay for it.

Bottom line, if only you signed the lease, only you are considered the renter, regardless of who applied for the lease to begin with. Unless they copied his signature, as I mentioned, I doubt you have grounds for nullification based on that. And even if they did, it would be your word against theirs, and hard to prove.

A complex owned by a corporation could itself be the management company. However, sometimes a corporation is formed by a group of investors merely to serve as an entity for ownership purposes. In which case, they almost certainly have a separate management company to do the work of running the complex for them.

In the fist example, the on site managers might be your only contacts. If the second, there must be someone the on site people report to. Unless they are themselves the management company. You describe people who might be the owners, given their attitude. But if not, then you could always try to contact someone at the corporation to discuss the attitude of their employees. But you might be dealing with people who are only interested in the bottom line for them, which is the money. If they are happy with that, they might not listen to you, and would explain their behavior.

The glass is a subject that is itself subject to interpretation, as far as who's responsibility it is to clean it up.

If, say it's from a part of the complex, an apartment window for example, then the responsibility is clearly theirs. However, if it's from a car, they might view that as that car's owners responsibility. Even if that person has moved out, or never even lived there.

They did clean it up however, and can always say they never noticed it until the day they did so. That's going to be word against word.

The rest of your complaints pretty much fall under "I don't like it here.", and not grounds for breaking the lease. They are not responsible for you liking the neighbors or not.

And for the walls, etc.

That your going to find almost anywhere. Typically, walls between individual apartments are no different than the ones between your living room and bedroom. Two sheets of drywall on a 2X4 frame.

Sorry to say, but your probably going to half to chalk this up as a learning experience. Some complexes are better than others, and rates can reflect that. Same for their managers. In the future, there is nothing stopping you from asking people who live in a complex your thinking of moving into how they like it. What the managers are like, how they run it.

This gives you the chance to judge not only the complex, but the people who live there before you move in. A decently run complex should have no problem with you asking a few question of the people coming and going, in the laundry/common areas. Although most would probably frown on your actually knocking on doors.

If they object, there's your first clue as to the kind of managerial style they have.

One more post here

Comment

Working...
                              X