Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apartment Leases (anyone knowledgeable?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a learning experience. It is my second apartment. My first apartment was amazing and had a great landlord. I guess we can't keep getting that lucky.

It's just frustrating because I signed the lease for my rent to be due on the 3rd. Then after I moved in they changed it to the 1st. Without thinking I simply resigned a revised copy of my lease. I probably should have taken that as a sign. It just seems like one of those places that could care less about you after they get you hooked in.

Comment

Originally posted by dbfan2007 View Post
      In the lease it states:
      You and all co-applicants must sign the Lease Contract within 3 days after we give you our approval in person or by telephone or within 5 days after we mail you our approval. If you or any co-applicant fails to sign as required, we may keep the application deposit as liquidated damages, and terminate all further obligations under this agreement.

My father is a co-applicant. According to that, is the agreement even valid right now?
      Yes, it is valid. Probably.

It's your responsibility to get the signatures on the lease. That they let you move in without the other required signature and seem to now refuse it, shows how professional they are, and explains the attitude they have. You did not honor this part of the agreement. You should be very careful how you proceed here. They now have a legit reason to fall back on, to kick you out, and keep any deposits. You dad's not on the lease, per the contract rule.

You might want to consult a lawyer, although that will likely cost you. My last leasing job was almost 20 years ago. I could be mistaken on a lot of it now. This kind of thing is not easy to discuss online, without having the actual full documents in hand.

Plus it's only your side of the story.

The way I read that is if they decide to remove you, they can keep your money. That gives you no rights that I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by dbfan2007 View Post
        This is a learning experience. It is my second apartment. My first apartment was amazing and had a great landlord. I guess we can't keep getting that lucky.

It's just frustrating because I signed the lease for my rent to be due on the 3rd. Then after I moved in they changed it to the 1st. Without thinking I simply resigned a revised copy of my lease. I probably should have taken that as a sign. It just seems like one of those places that could care less about you after they get you hooked in.
        Such places and people exist in the world. I wish I could tell you there's an easy way to know before hand, but there isn't.

Only thru experience will you learn what you really need to know.

So you signed a revised copy? That's essentially a whole new agreement. I doubt you have much ground to stand on now.

Comment

My glass story

Ok, this is almost 30 years ago....

I moved into an apartment complex on Leetsdale and Quebec called Boardwalk, back then.

I parked my brand new 83 VW Scirocco outside, like everyone else.

I go out one morning, my drivers side widow is broken, and my blaukpunt (sp) stereo is gone. There's glass everywhere. In the car, and all along the side on the ground.

I went into the office to report the crime, and we called the cops, who had no interest in anything but my filing a report. A report that would be sent to my insurance company.

:nono: Want to avoid THEM at all cost!

So as I am leaving, I casually ask about the glass in the lot. Is it my responsibility to clean it up? "YES!" She said. "It's your glass!" She was actually kinda hostile about it. Knowing full well she worked for a management company hired by a group of investors who owned the complex.

One of which was my dad.

I got my broom.......

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post

Always look at a unit during the day...
            then go back in the evening and check out the neighbors.
            It is even wise to stop back by a few times.. like on a weekend evening.
            Good advice.

He needs to talk to someone in Arizona really. Renting laws differ from state to state, and the differences can be significant.

Perhaps not a lawyer though. He could try to talk to a manager at a different complex. One he might like to move into for example.

Apartment managers often have more time on their hands than the would leave one to believe. He might find one who could give him half an hour to discuss his current lease. Especially if he or she thought it might help secure a future renter.

Comment

Working...
            X