Maintenance Brings Very Little Instant Gratification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance Brings Very Little Instant Gratification

I grew up watching those responsible adults, tinkering with this and that, checking here and there, and looking in every way....from a young person's vantage point, to be living a perfectly wise and "boring" life. Then again, by maintaining everything they owned, they saved themselves a pile of money over the years, because their stuff lasted a long, long time.

And it's not just about puttering around....it's about taking cars in, getting the furnace checked up on, visiting the dentist regularly, and so on. It's about regular, timely maintenance of things.

The results are often unexciting. You'll hear things line, "looks fine", "come back in 6 months", "did a small tweak", and so on. Nothing earth shattering! In fact, did I really have to make this appointment, and pay this extra cash just to hear that??

Maintenance is important however, because on average folks who do regular maintenance probably have less problems and repairs in the long run. That makes sense.......right?

BUT....on the other hand, I believe that some folks spend way too much on maintenance/warranties and so on. In fact, most companies count on that revenue......they make it a goal to maximize every penny. When I was a career guy, I dealt with a lot of software manufacturers, and they would give you a decent discount on the system, because they typically got close to 20% annually on maintenance/upgrades and such. They just needed to get their feet in the door, for long term annual payback. Same goes for those Tech stores, where they always try to get you to extend warranties on things that you will be better off throwing away when they fall apart.

But in general, it's wise to maintain things that you can maintain. And it's smart to spend a few bucks every year on purchases of significant value. But in a world of instant gratification, don't expect too much excitement in the process. On the other hand, if you want the feeling that comes from "instant fix", you could let everything fall apart, and look forward to the excitement of buying new things....all the time!!!

I haven't been to a dentist in 4 years lol

Adopted Poster
    AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
      I haven't been to a dentist in 4 years lol

Too bad he didn't go at least once in between.........

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Too bad he didn't go at least once in between.........
        I see where you're going with this, but it's not like I don't care.

But unless there's a problem, I just don't find it necessary to go. I brush em twice a day and take good care of them.
        It's not a question about money, it's cheap here but why waste the money, ya know?

By the way, don't know if ya recall but I quit smoking almost a year ago and it's been doing wonders on my teeth in terms of whitening. And it's completely free!
        Adopted Poster
        AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
          I see where you're going with this, but it's not like I don't care.

But unless there's a problem, I just don't find it necessary to go. I brush em twice a day and take good care of them.
          It's not a question about money, it's cheap here but why waste the money, ya know?

By the way, don't know if ya recall but I quit smoking almost a year ago and it's been doing wonders on my teeth in terms of whitening. And it's completely free!
          Congrats......and not only is it "free", it's saving you a lot of cig money!!!!:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            Same goes for those Tech stores, where they always try to get you to extend warranties on things that you will be better off throwing away when they fall apart.
            I never get those extended warranties because i feel they are nothing but a waste of your money. And furthermore i feel that if you are purchasing a good product that it should last at least to the point an extended warranty would cover & then some.

I would venture to guess that 90% maybe more of those extened warranties are never needed & somebody just made money off you & plenty of people get suckerd into getting them.

Can, I know this wasn't the main focus of discussion here but i wanted to comment on that part. And as for the rest, yes it's important to maintain certain things to keep them in good working order for the long haul.

I know there may be alot of people who neglect things, some simple things such as a simple oil change for your car or even tire rotation, they may seem like minor things but if not taken care of regularly will leade to costly problems or replacement.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
              I never get those extended warranties because i feel they are nothing but a waste of your money. And furthermore i feel that if you are purchasing a good product that it should last at least to the point an extended warranty would cover & then some.

I would venture to guess that 90% maybe more of those extened warranties are never needed & somebody just made money off you & plenty of people get suckerd into getting them.

Can, I know this wasn't the main focus of discussion here but i wanted to comment on that part. And as for the rest, yes it's important to maintain certain things to keep them in good working order for the long haul.

I know there may be alot of people who neglect things, some simple things such as a simple oil change for your car or even tire rotation, they may seem like minor things but if not taken care of regularly will leade to costly problems or replacement.
              No prob!!! You are 100% in bounds....

:thumb:

Comment

Working...
              X