Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! Looking for a new camera!

I need some advice on cameras, people.

I've got a nice big Cannon Rebel XT, but the problem is that it's so big and bulky, we end up not wanting to pack it around.

I need something small, pocket-sized, that still has great resolution and storage capacity, but won't kill my wallet.

Any recommendations?

i got a nice 14mp sony camera from ebay that had a nice little dent (its very small) in it for pretty cheap. works like new though. i like it.

I'm not camera savvy though so i wouldn't know about the aperture craperture.

Comment

I don't know much about photography or camera technology but I know some people who are a fan of this website.

SnapSort

You can basically choose certain criteria that you want in a camera and hopefully find the right choice for your needs.

Here's a list of the best travel zoom camera which kind of sounds like what you want but I wouldn't really know from the same site. Not sure the last time the list has been updated but the most recent camera on the list is from two months ago so it's not that out of date.

Best Travel Zooms

And here is one more site that have a lot of reviews and news about photography that a lot of people recommend. I suppose it's always good to read up as much as you can before making a purchase.

Digital Photography Review

I hope this helps you in your search and I'm sorry I don't know much about the technology but knowing this community, someone with more knowledge should chime in and help you out some more.

Comment

It's hard to be inconspicuous spying on people with that camera, isn't it jet?

sigpic
        Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

:usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
          Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Somehow, I knew I could count on you guys to be helpful. :facepalm:

Cahill, thanks for the info!

Comment

On a serious note... the Cannon Powershot SD line has never done me wrong. Between the wife and I we are on our third(lost one, upgraded the other).

We use it for.. well.. pictures- But, we put it in her purse, or my pocket and take it to get togethers, kid events, all that kind of jazz. It also went on vacation with us. It'll be going to Cabo in April with us.

Go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy and check one out so you can see for yourself size-wise what you're up against. Most of the pics on my FB were taken with a Power Shot.
              *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
              *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
              *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I would suggest Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V.

You get a lot of bang for your buck here. It's the perfect mix between performance and compact, imho. Normally I would go with Nikon and in higher price ranges, Canon but don't let the name scare you. It's very good actually.

10x optical zoom/25mm wide angle G Lens
                16.2 effective megapixels Exmor R™ CMOS sensor
                Precision Digital Zoom, Approx. 40x
                Smart Zoom, up to 72x (with VGA)

It's got GPS, ISP, 3D SP and so forth.

Recording Media: Memory Stick™ Duo / Memory Stick PRO Duo™(Mark2 only for movie) / Memory Stick PRO Duo™ High Speed (No Speed Advantage) / Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo™ (No Speed Advantage)

Recording Media II: SD Memory Card(Class4 or Higher for movie), SDHC/SDXC Memory Card(Class4 or Higher for movie)

Supplied battery(s) in normal shooting condition, 290 shots, 145min (CIPA standard with LCD screen on)

^^ I would say it doesn't last that long though, mine doesn't anyway but it's pretty accurate.

Cheapest I could find in the states: Newegg.com
                $269.99

alaTest.com
                October 17, 2011

Review Summary: alaTest has collected and analyzed 109 reviews of Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V from international magazines and websites.

The Verdict: Experts rate this product 86/100 and users 83/100. Comparing these reviews to 646756 other Digital Compact Cameras reviews gives this product an overall alaScore 93/100 = Excellent.

I dunno if it's too expensive though, if it is, let me know.
                Adopted Poster
                AZ Snake Fan

Comment

A lot of digital cameras do not have viewfinders. I find having one helpful when taking action shots, like race cars going around Dover or the fly-over.

Thought I'd throw that out for you.
                  Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Check out some of the Olympus cameras. Specifically maybe the SZ-30MR...

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...&page=overview

Olympus' ability to put high quality lenses in their compact digitals has always amazed me. A high quality lens is always important, but it's even more so when dealing with compacts. This camera scored a 91 at alatest. Lowest price I could find was $276.

Winter is Coming!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
                      I would suggest Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V.

You get a lot of bang for your buck here. It's the perfect mix between performance and compact, imho. Normally I would go with Nikon and in higher price ranges, Canon but don't let the name scare you. It's very good actually.

10x optical zoom/25mm wide angle G Lens
                      16.2 effective megapixels Exmor R™ CMOS sensor
                      Precision Digital Zoom, Approx. 40x
                      Smart Zoom, up to 72x (with VGA)

It's got GPS, ISP, 3D SP and so forth.

Recording Media: Memory Stick™ Duo / Memory Stick PRO Duo™(Mark2 only for movie) / Memory Stick PRO Duo™ High Speed (No Speed Advantage) / Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo™ (No Speed Advantage)

Recording Media II: SD Memory Card(Class4 or Higher for movie), SDHC/SDXC Memory Card(Class4 or Higher for movie)

Supplied battery(s) in normal shooting condition, 290 shots, 145min (CIPA standard with LCD screen on)

^^ I would say it doesn't last that long though, mine doesn't anyway but it's pretty accurate.

Cheapest I could find in the states: Newegg.com
                      $269.99

alaTest.com
                      October 17, 2011

Review Summary: alaTest has collected and analyzed 109 reviews of Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V from international magazines and websites.

The Verdict: Experts rate this product 86/100 and users 83/100. Comparing these reviews to 646756 other Digital Compact Cameras reviews gives this product an overall alaScore 93/100 = Excellent.

I dunno if it's too expensive though, if it is, let me know.
                      Yeah, this is one of the best models I'm seeing, unfortunately, it's way out of my price range right now.

I was really hoping to find something decent, maybe even used or refurbished on the low end of $100-$150 price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                        Check out some of the Olympus cameras. Specifically maybe the SZ-30MR...

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...&page=overview

Olympus' ability to put high quality lenses in their compact digitals has always amazed me. A high quality lens is always important, but it's even more so when dealing with compacts. This camera scored a 91 at alatest. Lowest price I could find was $276.

Yeah, those look like amazing cameras, but they're way out of my price range atm.

Comment

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
                          Yeah, this is one of the best models I'm seeing, unfortunately, it's way out of my price range right now.

I was really hoping to find something decent, maybe even used or refurbished on the low end of $100-$150 price range.
                          Didja check ebay??
                          *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                          *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                          *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Working...
                          X