Do you shop on Black Friday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you shop on Black Friday?

Just watch a story about this on the news, and I wonder, how many people here go out and shop on Black Friday?

Do you encounter massive crowds? Do you save money? Is it worth it?

I have never done this. I tend to get my shopping for the holidays done throughout the year. For example, while in NY this summer, I found a nice, (but cheap) picture of the old Yankee Stadium my buddy will just love. Christmas shopping for him? Done in June.

For you New Yorkers, this was from a stand just down the street from the Met. Museum in the park. If I remember right, that's on 5th Ave.?

When I find something I think will make a great present, that's when I grab it. I don't wait until this time of year, hoping for a deal on junk the intended probably doesn't really want anyway.

Also, do you go out ON Thanksgiving to shop? I know more and more stores are opening up that day, hoping to cash in. (That's what the story on the news was about.)

One more question.

What do you get for a dad, in his 80's, who just want's "another grandchild"?

He aint gettin that! :nono:

He used to hike and Ski while in Aspen, and I have bought him all sorts of things for that. All of it still sits in drawers in the original packaging. I have bought him Bronco and Nugget stuff, shirts, jackets, etc., only to find them hanging in his closet with the tags still on them, unworn.

The last few years, I have just bought him, and my mom, a nice gift set of wine. They drink that, but I'd like to find something different this year.

Any suggestions for a guy who want's for nothing? Except more grandchildren?

Originally posted by JWinn View Post
    Just watch a story about this on the news, and I wonder, how many people here go out and shop on Black Friday?

I have never done this. I tend to get my shopping for the holidays done throughout the year. For example, while in NY this summer, I found a nice, (but cheap) picture of the old Yankee Stadium my buddy will just love. Christmas shopping for him? Done in June.

For you New Yorkers, this was from a stand just down the street from the Met. Museum in the park. If I remember right, that's on 5th Ave.?

When I find something I think will make a great present, that's when I grab it. I don't wait until this time of year, hoping for a deal on junk the intended probably doesn't really want anyway.

Also, do you go out ON Thanksgiving to shop? I know more and more stores are opening up that day, hoping to cash in. (That's what the story on the news was about.)

One more question.

He used to hike and Ski while in Aspen, and I have bought him all sorts of things for that. All of it still sits in drawers in the original packaging. I have bought him Bronco and Nugget stuff, shirts, jackets, etc., only to find them hanging in his closet with the tags still on them, unworn.

The last few years, I have just bought him, and my mom, a nice gift set of wine. They drink that, but I'd like to find something different this year.

Tell him your daughter's getting married... That's a granchild in law!

I like to go out on Black Friday, but only later in the day... Best Buy is kinda fun to venture into and see the disaster it's been turned into after a day of thousands and thousands of people have been in it... Sometimes I'll even pick up a game there or something... My pay day falls on Black Friday this year so that could get interesting Mostly though I actually do my shopping online... The Monday after Thanksgiving is a great day to do that stuff... Kinda sucks that this year I already know what I'm doing for my mom and it can't be bought in a store or online, and I don't expect a holiday season discount for a tattoo...
    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
    Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

I would just get him more wine or something. Or try to think about something he used to have when he was younger that he hasn't had in years. Old folk tend to like things that bring back memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
        Tell him your daughter's getting married... That's a granchild in law!

I like to go out on Black Friday, but only later in the day... Best Buy is kinda fun to venture into and see the disaster it's been turned into after a day of thousands and thousands of people have been in it... Sometimes I'll even pick up a game there or something... My pay day falls on Black Friday this year so that could get interesting Mostly though I actually do my shopping online... The Monday after Thanksgiving is a great day to do that stuff... Kinda sucks that this year I already know what I'm doing for my mom and it can't be bought in a store or online, and I don't expect a holiday season discount for a tattoo...
        THAT will kill him! He is not too fond of her boyfriend.

Naw, that's not gonna work......

I do some shopping online. My sister wants a copy of a Star Trek NG episode I found on ebay, but all the sellers have some pretty bad feedback. They have lots of good feedback too, but the bad is REALLY bad!

You might call around to parlors. Some of them might have holiday discounts. Worth a few minutes with the phone book.

Comment

Black Friday for me consists of: sleep in, eat, sit, eat some more, maybe go deer hunting for a few hours.
          sigpic
          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
            I would just get him more wine or something. Or try to think about something he used to have when he was younger that he hasn't had in years. Old folk tend to like things that bring back memories.
            Unfortunately, Noah's Ark isn't for sale.

Not a bad idea. I got him a Proof Silver Dollar from the year he was born a few years back. He seemed to like that.

Comment

One more question.

NO!

I love shopping, but I really dislike crowds and rude people. Hubby would have to come bail me out.

I do like you do. Buy throughout the year. My only problem is remembering my hiding places. I have found Christmas presents like 5 months later.

What to get your Dad?

Grandchildren. The ones he already has. Put together pictures/videos that you have of your kids and put it on DVD. There are lots of programs that do this or a shop that you can take the stuff to and let them do it.

It's not the same as holding a baby, of course, but you all could have fun telling stories and remembering.

No? I'm out of ideas.
              Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                Black Friday for me consists of: sleep in, eat, sit, eat some more, maybe go deer hunting for a few hours.

I am actually thinking of going fishing this year! :thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                  Deer hunting
                  sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                    NO!

I love shopping, but I really dislike crowds and rude people. Hubby would have to come bail me out.

I do like you do. Buy throughout the year. My only problem is remembering my hiding places. I have found Christmas presents like 5 months later.

What to get your Dad?

Grandchildren. The ones he already has. Put together pictures/videos that you have of your kids and put it on DVD. There are lots of programs that do this or a shop that you can take the stuff to and let them do it.

It's not the same as holding a baby, of course, but you all could have fun telling stories and remembering.

No? I'm out of ideas.
                    We did that one year for his birthday. One of those electronic frames that puts up a different picture every few minutes.

He couldn't figure how to make it work.

Comment

You guys would love my yard. Today I fed 7 Mulies. A doe with two babies, and four bucks. Three 4 pointers, and a little 2 pointer.

Mean Doe, didn't want to let anyone else eat.

Comment

THAT will kill him! He is not too fond of her boyfriend.

Naw, that's not gonna work......

I do some shopping online. My sister wants a copy of a Star Trek NG episode I found on ebay, but all the sellers have some pretty bad feedback. They have lots of good feedback too, but the bad is REALLY bad!

You might call around to parlors. Some of them might have holiday discounts. Worth a few minutes with the phone book.

I've already got the artist picked out... Friend of mine I went to school with who did my Broncos tat... Anyways, back to black friday! It's one of my top 5 favorite days of the year
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                        Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

No, I'm broke & I don't like madhouses
                          "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                            Deer hunting

Dude, how did you know!?

sigpic
                            Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

I love black Friday. I go to work, nobody else goes to work or at least it is very few. When there is noone here they tend to give you the afternoon off but still get paid!!!! And if I have to stay all day it is quiet enough to be alright!!

I am a man Christmas shopping is done on Christmas eve. What is wrong with you people? I am only kidding and if someone wants to pick me up one of those 40 inch flat screen TVs for a couple hundred bucks, I am cool with that! TIA -- 86

Comment

Working...
                              X