Lot Easier Being "Entertained" These Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lot Easier Being "Entertained" These Days

I was thinking about how much easier it would be to have had our kids these days versus when we did, in the early 80s.....and the early 80s was only 20 years ago. Back then, we didn't own PCs, and late night TV basically sucked. So for a tired Mom or Dad, who had to get up in the middle of the night to change the diapers and feed the baby, there was little to do, other than watch your precious child (which was pretty cool for the most part!). As I recall, if you got up somewhere between 1 am and 6 am, tv was deadsville!

Nowadays, if you are fortunate to have a PC and even a basic tv plan, you can stay entertained with some degree of flair, while watching your baby. You are connected in many ways with the rest of the world, and other than that initial shock of waking up to the sounds of a hungry babe ("hey, isn't it your turn???"), and perhaps the tough part of falling back to sleep, you can not complain about the in between.

That goes for other things as well.....with or without child. The overnight is no longer a lonely place necessarily. It may be dark, and it may be quiet, but it definitely is not without peers, and it definitely allows for good tv, whether on schedule or recorded. And on the web, it may be overnight where you live, but it's morning, afternoon, or evening somewhere else. People are awake, and people are connected.

Then, just when I think we had it tough, I think back further in time, when people were isolated from family and friends, and the quickest way to communicate (day or night) was via a letter, one that may take weeks or months to arrive. How different things are these days. Technology has its benefits!

So....for you folks who are new parents....it may be tough waking in the overnight....but think how much better we have it today then in recent past! (not to mention the real "good old days")

:thumb:

How about waiting for phone calls? We didn't have cell phones, and when someone said "I'll call you around 5" you hauled @$$ home to get that phone call!!

And answering trivia questions back then was pretty much 'the honor system.' Now you can Google things on your phone.

Going to concerts was affordable, and the bands actually played their own instruments. It wasn't a huge production as it is now. They actually cared about pleasing the fans, rather than pocketing $$$.
    sigpic
    HOPING TO SEE MORE OF THIS IN 2012

ESPN’s John Clayton reported that McKenzie is expected to review Jackson’s performance for the next week or so. Clayton reports that the odds favor Jackson staying in Oakland, but a decision has not been made. "I still get the feeling Jackson will end up being retained." 3 1/2 HOURS LATER, THE RAIDERS FIRED JACKSON.....GOOD CALL CLAYTON

Comment

Originally posted by AZOmae View Post
      How about waiting for phone calls? We didn't have cell phones, and when someone said "I'll call you around 5" you hauled @$$ home to get that phone call!!

And answering trivia questions back then was pretty much 'the honor system.' Now you can Google things on your phone.

Going to concerts was affordable, and the bands actually played their own instruments. It wasn't a huge production as it is now. They actually cared about pleasing the fans, rather than pocketing $$$.
      Good stuff bud!

Yah.....we had one phone, in the centre of our house. Luckily we had an extended cord, and I remember phoning a girl and pulling that phone as far as I could to get it into the bedroom.......also lucky we had a small house!!!

And yes, all those calling features.....call display, message manager, and so on. Back then, no messages......no display of caller.......then again, no telemarketing!!!!

Comment

I can't believe I'm actually saying this but I must disagree with you for probably the first time ever Can. There is a whole lot more entertainment these days at any time/place but to me it's harder being entertained. Because we are so used to being so entertained all the time when you don't have all that technology/entertainment it becomes even more mundane. When I was 10 I would sit for hours and study the stats on the backs of baseball cards but I honestly can't see a kid now being able to do that. Sitting at the docs office I would look at a any magazine they had and enjoy it now I play on the internet on my phone and somehow still get bored. To me it's worse now because of how spoiled people are with entertainment these days.
        sigpic
        Sig pic by dbfan2007

Originally posted by kishzilla
        You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
        You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
        Have It All - Blu3
        Conceited - Blu3
        Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
        All On You - Blu3

Comment

Kinda creeps me out when a friend calls, to be honest. We have become so dependent on the text message that I kinda like hearing their voices.
          *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
          *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
          *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by Foez View Post
            I can't believe I'm actually saying this but I must disagree with you for probably the first time ever Can. There is a whole lot more entertainment these days at any time/place but to me it's harder being entertained. Because we are so used to being so entertained all the time when you don't have all that technology/entertainment it becomes even more mundane. When I was 10 I would sit for hours and study the stats on the backs of baseball cards but I honestly can't see a kid now being able to do that. Sitting at the docs office I would look at a any magazine they had and enjoy it now I play on the internet on my phone and somehow still get bored. To me it's worse now because of how spoiled people are with entertainment these days.
            I do agree that some of us were a whole lot more creative back in the day, because that's what we did. It was fun, made us use our brains, and took us on exciting journeys.

As far as my initial post goes, the part about getting up with our newborns was pretty accurate in my opinion, in that we had less to do to keep us up while our babies did their late night thing. Lets put it this way, I wasn't very creative at that time of the night, and a simple movie or website may have kept me company......until all had settled, and it was time to tuck in the child, and then hope to fall asleep as quickly as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
              Kinda creeps me out when a friend calls, to be honest. We have become so dependent on the text message that I kinda like hearing their voices.
              haha, is it sad that when I get a phone call now I just think to myself "why didn't you just text me?"
              sigpic
              Thanks Freyaka for the Sig! And Avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by sbxxxiichamps View Post
                haha, is it sad that when I get a phone call now I just think to myself "why didn't you just text me?"
                Sometimes I answer the phone and say "Hey, I'm in the middle of something, just text me." Even though I'm just sitting there watching tv. Lol, now that is bad!

Comment

Originally posted by sbxxxiichamps View Post
                  Originally posted by InElwayWeTrust View Post
                  Sometimes I answer the phone and say "Hey, I'm in the middle of something, just text me." Even though I'm just sitting there watching tv. Lol, now that is bad!
                  Ya know... I'm gonna work on droppin a line instead of just texting. Might be fun!!

Comment

Lack of entertainment in those days is the reason for all them babies

Now with the way we're so easily entertained now the horizontal mambo isn't danced as often

Not only does it help entertain while raising children but also entertains you so you don't decide to make children all the time
                    sigpic
                    Thank you Charger$

Comment

Originally posted by HavoK471 View Post
                      Lack of entertainment in those days is the reason for all them babies

Now with the way we're so easily entertained now the horizontal mambo isn't danced as often

Not only does it help entertain while raising children but also entertains you so you don't decide to make children all the time
                      Then I miss the old days..........

The 60s and early 70s were bizarre!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        Then I miss the old days..........

The 60s and early 70s were bizarre!!!!
                        Wait.. are you referring to the 1960's and '70's or when you were in your 60's and 70's??

Just kidding Can.. who loves ya????

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                          Wait.. are you referring to the 1960's and '70's or when you were in your 60's and 70's??

Just kidding Can.. who loves ya????
                          lol post of the day right here..

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            I was thinking about how much easier it would be to have had our kids these days versus when we did, in the early 80s.....and the early 80s was only 20 years ago. Back then, we didn't own PCs, and late night TV basically sucked. So for a tired Mom or Dad, who had to get up in the middle of the night to change the diapers and feed the baby, there was little to do, other than watch your precious child (which was pretty cool for the most part!). As I recall, if you got up somewhere between 1 am and 6 am, tv was deadsville!

Nowadays, if you are fortunate to have a PC and even a basic tv plan, you can stay entertained with some degree of flair, while watching your baby. You are connected in many ways with the rest of the world, and other than that initial shock of waking up to the sounds of a hungry babe ("hey, isn't it your turn???"), and perhaps the tough part of falling back to sleep, you can not complain about the in between.

That goes for other things as well.....with or without child. The overnight is no longer a lonely place necessarily. It may be dark, and it may be quiet, but it definitely is not without peers, and it definitely allows for good tv, whether on schedule or recorded. And on the web, it may be overnight where you live, but it's morning, afternoon, or evening somewhere else. People are awake, and people are connected.

Then, just when I think we had it tough, I think back further in time, when people were isolated from family and friends, and the quickest way to communicate (day or night) was via a letter, one that may take weeks or months to arrive. How different things are these days. Technology has its benefits!

So....for you folks who are new parents....it may be tough waking in the overnight....but think how much better we have it today then in recent past! (not to mention the real "good old days")

:thumb:
                            Hate to break it to ya man, but the early 80's were about 30 years ago lol

And I'll agree that we're over-entertained nowdays. I force myself to escape civilization to keep myself as a normal human should be. Well, I shouldn't say force since it one of my favorite things to do
                            sigpic

Comment

As a parent of young kids, I sometimes wish there was less entertainment than there is today.

I remember growing up and I couldn't wait to go outside and play with my friends.

Nowadays, you have to monitor TV intake, video game playing, and, depending on where you live, wet up "play dates".

As a matter of fact, when I got transferred, high on the priority list was a location where there would be alot of kids and it would be a safe place for them to play outside.

Fortunately, I was able to find that place and the boys are outside alot and we discourage inside playing. Now my daughter...as she is now a preteen...that's alot harder.
                              My 2011 adopted poster.........and and

Adopted by: and

Comment

Working...
                              X