A Phone Passion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Phone Passion

I love phones. All types of phones including iPhone, Android, Blackberry (and pretty much everything else except that Ugly Windows Phone 7 ). Anyway I was curious where do you think I could take this passion of mine?

Could I make it a career? Like working for AT&T or Verizon? I wouldn't want to work for T-Mobile. I've heard that it stinks to work there. Anyway, yah phones are my thing. I know a whole lot about all different types of phones and I'm really excited for the phone industry for the next decade or so.
    sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

I am sure you could make a career out of it.
    Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life.

Comment

I'm sure you could make it into a career with the proper schooling and drive. I don't know where it'll lead.. maybe some sort of management position with one of them??

I'd imagine selling the phones from a kiosk isn't what you have in mind? You could always ask Tatum Bell what he thinks..
      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I was fortunate to have made a career working for a phone company, once I graduated from U. But when I started, there was little more than simple phones, and basic long distance plans. I was lucky to ride the wave that came with new technology and vastly more competitive marketing, starting with a wider selection of phones, then calling features, cellular service, internet and where I worked, TV.....since I retired some of the new gizmos and platforms are making life quite exciting, with integrated hand held devices that seem to be growing in possibilities as we speak.

So.....good old telephone companies have become high tech, integrated, multi-faceted companies. The question is....where and what next (in the world of telecommunications)?

Good luck in your travels......you have an interest and that's cool......maybe make contact with an HR manager in a telco, and see what they recommend you apply for.
        Last edited by CanDB; 11-26-2011, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Start a phone review blog. If you're reviews are really good and well written you can get hired by tech websites that'll not only pay you but let you review phones as they're released. You can make money on you blog by selling ad spaces.

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
            I am sure you could make a career out of it.
            Do what you love and you will never work a day in your life.
            Thank you! I think I will look into the industry.

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
            I'm sure you could make it into a career with the proper schooling and drive. I don't know where it'll lead.. maybe some sort of management position with one of them??

I'd imagine selling the phones from a kiosk isn't what you have in mind? You could always ask Tatum Bell what he thinks..
            "Hello T.Bell? Yah we need you to suit up again. McGahee is injured and Knowshon is out so come on out." Lol is that what the conversation would look like?

I'd like to be a retail salesman for Verizon Wireless and work full time there. At this stage in my life that would be a really cool thing for me.

What type of degree should I go for? A business degree? Management would be O.K. I can't see it being too fun. Whatever pays the bills and lets me watch the Broncos on Sunday is cool though!

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            I was fortunate to have made a career working for a phone company, once I graduated from U. But when I started, there was little more than simple phones, and basic long distance plans. I was lucky to ride the wave that came with new technology and vastly more competitive marketing, starting with a wider selection of phones, then calling features, cellular service, internet and where I worked, TV.....since I retired some of the new gizmos and platforms are making life quite exciting, with integrated hand held devices that seem to be growing in possibilities as we speak.

So.....good old telephone companies have become high tech, integrated, multi-faceted companies. The question is....where and what next (in the world of telecommunications)?

Good luck in your travels......you have an interest and that's cool......maybe make contact with an HR manager in a telco, and see what they recommend you apply for.

Thank you Can! And definitely phones have changed from your lifetime to mine.
            Again as I said before my goal at this point in my life is to work for Verizon Wireless simply as a retail salesman. That would pay 99% of the bills that I have.

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
            Start a phone review blog. If you're reviews are really good and well written you can get hired by tech websites that'll not only pay you but let you review phones as they're released. You can make money on you blog by selling ad spaces.

That is a great idea. I just pimped out my YouTube account so now would be a perfect time to do this I suppose. Cp to you!
            sigpic

Comment

once you get that pimpin blog and they start handing you free phones.. you can hook me up with the latest and greatest so I am not buying new blackberrys every year

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                once you get that pimpin blog and they start handing you free phones.. you can hook me up with the latest and greatest so I am not buying new blackberrys every year
                For sure right?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
                  For sure right?
                  without a doubt the new bold 9900 has a 6% bigger key board! It drives me nuts every time I walk by one in a store. just calls my name... 'Loooook at meee with my bigger keyboard'

Comment

Of course you could make it a career. There are tons of things you could do - personally I wouldn't exactly find the retail & management aspect of the phone industry (or any industry!) appealing; but product design, OS design, marketing & advertisement... those things could certainly be interesting. Whatever path you eventually take, good luck to ya.
                    sigpic
                    - ★ -
                    2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

"Hello T.Bell? Yah we need you to suit up again. McGahee is injured and Knowshon is out so come on out." Lol is that what the conversation would look like? :

I'd like to be a retail salesman for Verizon Wireless and work full time there. At this stage in my life that would be a really cool thing for me.

What type of degree should I go for? A business degree? Management would be O.K. I can't see it being too fun. Whatever pays the bills and lets me watch the Broncos on Sunday is cool though!
                      u! )
                      Well.. since we are being serious and not :wave: I have a few things to say.

First.. you'll find as you get older your bills get bigger. It may not seem like it now, but as you make more you spend more. You get a nicer car. You get a nicer place. A lot live within their means, but many go over.

Working at a kiosk selling cell phones doesn't pay for the ideal life most American's dream about. I know you're sitting there with your current obligations thinking it doesn't get "bigger", but it does. I went from one cell phone at $12/mo to 2 smart phones at $120/mo for both. When I first moved out I paid $400/mo on rent. Now I'm looking a $1700/mo mortgage in the face for a 4 bedroom in Roseville, Ca. I started life at $200/mo for 6 months on my first car paid to my parents for a '88 Dodge Shadow 5 speed with turbo and moved into looking at a new truck at $500/mo for 60 months hoping insurance doesn't kill me!

So... long story short... yes, start planning for tomorrow. You are young now. So, yes, business major of some sort would benefit you. Don't plan to just sit and sell the cell phones. Don't plan to just sit and play with the cell phones and hope it pays the bills. You'll find the bills get bigger as you get older. But, there is still room to live how you want to live if you do it right.

Above all else.. you are young now. Enjoy it while you can. You get ONE shot to be young. Don't blow it.
                      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I would try to work for one of the manufacturers developing new phones. Go get a degree in computer programming, emphasis in Android. Or a degree in business, emphasis in electronics industry.

Comment

I don't understand what you're asking

Do you want to sell phones?

Help create/design phones?

Work in advertising for a company?
                          sigpic
                          Thank you Charger$

Comment

That is a great idea. I just pimped out my YouTube account so now would be a perfect time to do this I suppose. Cp to you!
                            No prob man. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by HavoK471 View Post
                              I don't understand what you're asking

Do you want to sell phones?

Help create/design phones?

Work in advertising for a company?
                              For now I think it would be reasonable to say I could get a job selling phones. To further pursue phone marketing I would need a different type of degree. So basically I'm asking where should I start?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X