No announcement yet.

Focus..........On The Right Things!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focus..........On The Right Things!!!!

Is it any coincidence that my title shows up the same night as the Victoria's Secret show.............I DIGRESS!

Okay........lets start over......which means I will probably lose 99% of those who actually started reading this.

ONE MORE TIME..........
    Have you ever noticed how you can "add injury" by thinking hard about a problem or pain you have? I believe I have made a certain ache go from a small discomfort to a serious concern, just by dwelling on it.......for a long time! And I know for a fact that a lot of our pains or issues seem to evaporate when something else comes along to displace them. I've had what I thought were things that needed urgent attention, simply disappear, because I began focusing on some other things.

Similarly, by over-thinking day to day problems, one can become a relentless assessor of these situations, and imagine the worst possible scenarios, until......well, you can think your way right into disasters that weren't there in the first place.

STOP USING YOUR WONDERFUL BRAIN FOR NEGATIVE PURPOSES!!!

On the other hand.......

Think of how similar but opposite the experience, if you dwell on positive things. Why not let the brain go wild on some good situations? Why not turn a simple positive thing into a huge success (by dwelling on it)? And while you're at it, why not focus as little as possible on non necessary negativity, while shining the light on what's worth your time.....the time you deserve.....the things you can control.....the dreams you can realize.

This is so true and timely for me Dave. Great insite as usual.

It has been a horrible year for my new family with bad things happening. The wifes knees, me being attacked at work, now being investigated for garbage in the name of political corectness, Wife's dad jut got a sudden spinal injury, She was forced to change jobs eariler in the year and lost a lot of income.....and the list goes on.

We discussed it the other night and realized it was consuming our happy little family. We also lost track of the good, ie our wedding and me completing the adoption of our daughter..who proudly calls me Dad all the time now.

If you think negative, and over analyze thing....things get wayyyyyy worse.

We have changed our thinking and we all are a lot better at home now.

The mind is a beautiful thing....unless you let it get ugly.
    sigpic

Comment

Very good post Can. Speaks to me a lot. I wish it were as simple as being able to find some positive things to think about rather than dwelling on the negative; and looking to the future with an optimistic mind-set as opposed to a pessimistic one; but sometimes life beats you into submission and it can be difficult to find your way to a more healthy perspective. You are 100% right though, bad things get worse when you focus in on them and let it consume you.

You know what might help?... A Victoria's Secret show. Hmm.
      sigpic
      - ★ -
      2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post

It has been a horrible year for my new family with bad things happening. The wifes knees, me being attacked at work, now being investigated for garbage in the name of political corectness, Wife's dad jut got a sudden spinal injury, She was forced to change jobs eariler in the year and lost a lot of income.....and the list goes on.

We discussed it the other night and realized it was consuming our happy little family. We also lost track of the good, ie our wedding and me completing the adoption of our daughter..who proudly calls me Dad all the time now.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles EM, but it sounds like you've got your head straight.

sigpic
        - ★ -

Comment

So true! Great post as usual Can!

I know my mind tends to jump to the worst possibilities when things aren't going as normal... Doesn't help that in similar situations it has been the worst of possibilities in the past, but again... One cannot dwell on the past... Reminds me of a great quote... "How can I change tomorrow, if I can't change today?"
          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
          Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post

Pulling for you bud! I know it's not easy to see through the clouds, but the fact you are says a whole lot about you and your gang.

Originally posted by sSync View Post
            Very good post Can. Speaks to me a lot. I wish it were as simple as being able to find some positive things to think about rather than dwelling on the negative; and looking to the future with an optimistic mind-set as opposed to a pessimistic one; but sometimes life beats you into submission and it can be difficult to find your way to a more healthy perspective. You are 100% right though, bad things get worse when you focus in on them and let it consume you.

You know what might help?... A Victoria's Secret show. Hmm.
            Is that all you think about??????

What the heck, I taped it!!!!!:thumb:

Comment

Thx guy. It is all about what CanD described though. Positive attitude and control what you can and never sweat the small stuff, because it all is.

If bad things didn't happen then how could we enjoy the good ones?

Like the point of this thread is: don't dwell on the stugg because it makes it worse and can consume you.

It's soooo true. Lingerie shows help though, and beer....
              sigpic

Comment

This is so true for me. It seems like i always have some sort of feeling that something within my body is not right & any little pain i experience i'm always thinking it to be something serious & i can't ever get it out of my mind.

That is until just as you point out Can, some other nagging ache or pain appears in a different location & won't ya know it that dam pain i had up til then seems to have just disappeared.

I really hate feeling or thinking this way but it seems it's been with me for many years & i always think something is seriously wrong & i won't be around much longer & it really sucks. I do try to think otherwise but those negative thoughts always seem to creep back in at some point. Well i guess i'm just crazy & need some therapy or something.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
                  This is so true for me. It seems like i always have some sort of feeling that something within my body is not right & any little pain i experience i'm always thinking it to be something serious & i can't ever get it out of my mind.

That is until just as you point out Can, some other nagging ache or pain appears in a different location & won't ya know it that dam pain i had up til then seems to have just disappeared.

I really hate feeling or thinking this way but it seems it's been with me for many years & i always think something is seriously wrong & i won't be around much longer & it really sucks. I do try to think otherwise but those negative thoughts always seem to creep back in at some point. Well i guess i'm just crazy & need some therapy or something.
                  You're definitely not crazy.....plenty of good people think like you do, and it's a shame, because you deserve better. Then again, you can make it better, just by changing your position slightly. Start looking more at the fairways and greens, and less the the traps and water hazards. Start seeing the beauty, and smell the coffee. Don't let those negative thoughts find any space in your positive perspective. Deny them from entering. Tell them all the seats are reserved for the good thoughts!

Comment

This is why medicinal marijuana is a good idea, it doesnt really help the pain, but you don't care about it anymore.
                    I really like Cheese.

Comment

I don't often find myself focussing on physical ailments and making them worse, but I do have trouble looking for a silver lining to my current situation most days. It's a pretty vicious circle, because every moment you spend dwelling on how things are is a moment you could've spent doing something to change it or make it better... Thus, making it worse, and even harder to find good things to focus on. Sadly, acknowledging that fact and acting upon it are two completely different things.

PS. Can, I'll take a copy of that recording please!
                      sigpic
                      - ★ -

Comment

Originally posted by sSync View Post
                        I don't often find myself focussing on physical ailments and making them worse, but I do have trouble looking for a silver lining to my current situation most days. It's a pretty vicious circle, because every moment you spend dwelling on how things are is a moment you could've spent doing something to change it or make it better... Thus, making it worse, and even harder to find good things to focus on. Sadly, acknowledging that fact and acting upon it are two completely different things.

PS. Can, I'll take a copy of that recording please!
                        Holy cow....I just watched Victoria's Secret.....and I forgot every problem I ever had!!!!!

But back to your post........I always tell people to keep moving, even if in small steps, rather than weigh yourself down with the situation. Too many of us waste precious time, and happy living, by getting into ruts. When you're in one, just get up and move. Try something new. Join something. Volunteer. Stay busy. Meet people.

And here's another tip that we all can benefit from.......hang out with positive people. Positivity can be contagious!!!

And good luck to you......life is not easy.
                        Last edited by CanDB; 11-29-2011, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          And here's another tip that we all can benefit from.......hang out with positive people. Positivity can be contagious!!!

And good luck to you......life is not easy.
                          no it's not easy, but it's full of challenges! (beautiful ones that is)
                          Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7

Adopted Broncos:
                          -:Mr. Decker:-

Comment

Working...
                          X