Cordless drills, what're you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless drills, what're you using?

I'm in the market for a new cordless drill. My prvious one was stolen a few years back and I never had need for a replacement. Now that we're a few weeks from closing on our house I'm in "tool buy anticipation" mode and trying to piece back together what I lost(and I refer to the ex having had her "boyfriend" pick through the tool box within 1 week of our seperation).

I've read reviews on the Rayobi +1, but am reluctant because a lot of the guys in my shop use the Makita and they are rough on stuff. My only problem is $$. I'm cheap. But, then I try to justify the money buy thinking long term... $80 more now on the Makita could save me from having to buy another in 3- 5 years.

Thought???

It's this Makita that they use...

*2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

I have a kobalt that I got at lowes about 4 years ago. I've remodled a kitchen and a rebuilt garage, along with other household things. The battery doesn't last quite as long anymore....but 4 years will do that.

I think it wasn't more than $50:
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
      I have a kobalt that I got at lowes about 4 years ago. I've remodled a kitchen and a rebuilt garage, along with other household things. The battery doesn't last quite as long anymore....but 4 years will do that.

I think it wasn't more than $50:
      I saw those. I'll go take a peek at them. Thanks Cory!!

Comment

Get the green colored lithium Ryobi's. I started accumulating them on special buys a few years back and I have been very pleased.

Get one of those intro kits where you a drill, two batteries, and something else. The circular saw and reciprocating saw are particularly handy. Also the screw gun.

And one of the cool things is those batteries work in the cheaper blue version of Ryobi. So say you might one day want a supplementary tool -- like a jigsaw. For $29 you can get it and run it off your lithium batteries.

http://www.ryobitools.com/lithium/

Comment

If you want the one that is sort of emerging as the best contractor grade, get a Ridgid. It's also made by Ryobi, but it's sort of their pro brand. (Just like Dewalt was the pro brand of Black and Decker).

Comment

This is an extremely handy set I bought a couple of years ago -- two batteries and the other items come in handy. Seems like the whole thing was $179. Can't beat the power and quality for the cheap price. Still going strong and I do tons of projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
              This is an extremely handy set I bought a couple of years ago -- two batteries and the other items come in handy. Seems like the whole thing was $179. Can't beat the power and quality for the cheap price. Still going strong and I do tons of projects.

See... and that's my main draw to the Ryobi.. they seem to have so many tools that are compatible with each other.

Thanks for the input!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                See... and that's my main draw to the Ryobi.. they seem to have so many tools that are compatible with each other.

Thanks for the input!!!
                After doing this for 20 years, I've figured out the money is tied up in the batteries -- how many you get, how long they last, and how many other things you can run off the same type of rechargeable battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
                  After doing this for 20 years, I've figured out the money is tied up in the batteries -- how many you get, how long they last, and how many other things you can run off the same type of rechargeable battery.
                  Well, to start with 2 batteries and have a plethora of tools that can run off them? That's a HUGE factor.

Comment

I use DeWalt, have for years. Batteries last forever, are available, and the drill is 1st class.
                    Been in love with the Broncos since 1960!
                    sigpic
                    I was 9 years old .... I hear the thunder again!

Tebow Army number 69
                    Adoptees: thatkidhunt, Peanut, CanDB, Gatorgirl (so far)

Democracy.. Is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ... Is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by rjent View Post
                      I use DeWalt, have for years. Batteries last forever, are available, and the drill is 1st class.
                      Can't go wrong with DeWalt. Had 'em all and used 'em for years.

If you look closely, though, they've gotten a bit stingy with the batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                        That's a nice drill with good torque. I used these exact ones at the construction site. The problem with them was the batteries need recharged quite a bit during the day so we had to have a backup constantly on the charger.

Didn't care too much for the Dewalts as they are a tad larger and heavier for fitting into tight spaces. But not a bad drill overall.

I have a Power Glide here at home and it's a pretty decent drill for around the house projects.
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I have a craftsman. Maybe 7 or 8 years old.

Not the best I have used but works for building war game tables.
                          sigpic

Comment

Rigid is the only way to go, man.

I've owned my for about 7 years now and it's still going strong. I use it for everything.

I'm telling you, the things are nigh indestructible, and the customer service, when needed, is second to none.

Ryobi/Rigid are one of the few brands that will allow for interchangable batteries, allowing you to use the new lithium batteries in the old machines.

Milwaukee, Makita and those guys are making their customers buy all new equipment.

Rigid just makes the best stuff, from power machines for threading and cutting pipe, to pipe wrenches to their power tools, and they treat their customers right.

Comment

It's "Ridgid,' you fake fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X