No announcement yet.

Cordless drills, what're you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to go Ridgid, but the batteries are different so I'd have to go all Ridgid. As just a consumer/homeowner, I probably didn't need the extra toughness, and price was a factor (both for getting extra batteries and additional supplmental tools that come in the kits). A sawzall is just a very handy thing.

That's why the green lithium line of Ryobi is a cool compromise. And jet is right, I appreciate the way Ryobi goes out of its way to try and keep you from having to get new batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
      It's "Ridgid,' you fake fan.
      You're right. My bad.

Still, I've been using Ridgid tools for about 10 years now.

I do have a Ryobi miter saw which I was lucky enough to purchase for $30 at a garage sale, and let me tell you, that sucker is the best damn tool I've got.

I've never changed the blade, and I've cut heaven knows how much green oak with it and it still slices like a hot knife through butter!!!

But we're talking about drills.

I'd have probably gone with Ryobi had I known at the time they were the same company that makes the Ridgid power tools.

But like you said, since the batteries aren't compatible, I'm stuck with Ridgid. Not that I mind one bit, but yeah, they are a bit more expensive... worth it, but more expensive.

Comment

Home Depot has made pretty big commitment it seems to Ryobi, for special buys and end-cap displays. It gave me some confidence that there would be some discounted items over the next few years, to allow me to get some cheap extra batteries and stuff.

Ridgid is the top of the line, so it's almost never marketed in some discounted way. Like "Buy this kit and get free stuff thrown in."

From just buying two of those introductory packages, I have

--2 different kinds of drills
        -- screw gun (very handy to use instead of a drill when needed)
        -- sawzall ( recip)
        -- circular saw
        -- two flashlights that run off the lithium batteries.

I have five batteries.

I even have a little leaf blower that runs off the same batteries. My wife uses it to clear off the sidewalk and she doesn't have to pull a starter or run a cord.

When I wanted to do a tile project with travertine ( stone type, won't cut from just a score and snap), I found this Ryobi tile saw for only $29. Sold without a battery, so a perfect compliment to what I already had.

http://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-P580-Wet.../dp/B004J14VGK

Last edited by Jay3; 12-04-2011, 05:36 AM.

Comment

My next acquisition will be this Ryobi powered caulk gun. My dad got one and it's the bees knees. It comes from the cheap, blue line, but will run off the batteries I already have. So it's not too expensive at less than $40.

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/po...lty_tools/P310

Comment

Well, you've got me sold... if I didn't already own Ridgid tools!!

Although you're right about the sales. It might almost be worth it to switch...

Except I'm pretty sure Mrs. Jet isn't gonna be down with a rash of tool buying when I already have good ones!!

But man, I'd love to get a cordless leafblower some time!!! It'd be awesome for clearing the sidewalks after mowing and weedeating and then come fall, too.

Comment

Makita. Never had any trouble except when it got stolen along with all the other tools but went and got the exact same one. Spend the extra money.

I was always told to stay away from Ryobi however on the mitre saws as Jet mentioned. They are great. Better than the Makita ones I have used in the past.

On the drill go with Makita.

Comment

Okay... Im in for the Ryobi lithium ion ones.. and the green does look pretty cool. Easy to find when you set it down then reach back for it and... wha?? Where's it at?!?! Oh.. right THERE!!!
                *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I got the leaf blower in this set, with a battery powered weedeater, a Home Depot. It was dirt cheap, and had another battery and charger with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-18v-P2...ht_3425wt_1396

I have a Stihl leaf blower and Stihl weed eater, but these have made a nice little supplement, and again, scarfed the extra batteries.

It just makes me feel like somewhere in the Ryobi company there's a dude who thinks like me.

Comment

I will say this -- the drills are a tad bit heavy. You will notice that the real pros who have to carry this thing around all day (perhaps on a tool belt) sometimes care a lot about weight. The high end expensive ones are lighter. For example, Ridgid is lighter than Ryobi, even though both are made by Ryobi.

But my thinking was "I don't do this for a living or every day, so all things being equal I don't want my dollar going towards making it lighter. I just want better, longer lasting."

Comment

I got the leaf blower in this set, with a battery powered weedeater, a Home Depot. It was dirt cheap, and had another battery and charger with it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-18v-P2...ht_3425wt_1396

I have a Stihl leaf blower and Stihl weed eater, but these have made a nice little supplement, and again, scarfed the extra batteries.

It just makes me feel like somewhere in the Ryobi company there's a dude who thinks like me.

Those are purdy.......
                      *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                      *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                      *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I am a dewalt guy.. Nove of mine have ever had so much as a glitch and i love that all mine can use the same batteries and that they make them to be like that.. I bought one with a battery and then a couple of spares.. After that all i have bought is the the tools without the batteries which made the collection so much cheaper.. Now i am loaded up amd happy.. Now if i was handy.....they would be ee more useful..
                        sigpic

Comment

I will say this -- the drills are a tad bit heavy. You will notice that the real pros who have to carry this thing around all day (perhaps on a tool belt) sometimes care a lot about weight.
                          This

I use my tools for a living, and makita makes the lightest power tools on the market.

I own that drill you posted earlier in the thread Eb in the 18v. It came in a set with an impact driver and two batteries. The charger charges the lith-ion batteries in 15 minutes and is a "smart" charger that will protect the battery when charging. You wont overcharge it, it wont charge it if it's hot, and it has a repair function as well. The batteries are expensive, so anything you can do to keep them functioning 100% is important.

I bought that set about 3-4 years ago and have used them just about every day except for one year that I went unemployed. Even then I was doing side jobs, and used them far more than your average home owner.

The set that I bought was $280 when I bought it but it's $199 right now at Home Depot out here with a nice case. The impact is a must for driving fasteners. When installing cabinets for instance, I'll have the drill set up with a drill bit and a countersink, and the impact puts the screws in. The impact keeps you from stripping the screws, and you don't have to push hard or hold against the torque of the drill. Just sends them in without a lot of effort. It's one of those things that I don't know how I managed before I had it.

I started off with DeWalts when I started needing them for work, and they are quality tools. They just got so heavy to carry around all the time that when this makita set came out (saw an electrician with them and couldn't believe how light they were) I was sold immediately. Also, the NiCad batteries were real susceptible to getting worn out on the dewalts.

Here's why I chose the Makita:

Lithium Ion Batteries: NiCad batteries don't withstand the rigors or many charges and they are far heavier

Smart Charger: Batteries cost more than the tools themselves. Protect them and they will take care of you, plus charging in 15 minutes is huge

Size: They aren't bulky, which makes them manageable in small areas.

Weight: Makes work just that much easier. Slinging around 10 lbs of power tools gets old.

Another little tidbit which is kind of inconsequential is there is an led light along the underside above the triggers on the drill and impact that has been really nice when there's isn't much light available. Turns on when you push the trigger and shuts off on it's own Just another nice little feature.

It all really depends on what you're going to use it for I guess. But that's my 2 cents :thumb:
                          Last edited by kishzilla; 12-04-2011, 11:24 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm in the process of finishing the renovetion of my house and as far as power tools are concerned:

Makita is the way to go.

Nicely priced for the performance and quality you'll get from the brand.

If not I'm a fan of the milwakee power drills, they are just that good (but pricey as....)

So, depending on the size of the job (like is it a one job use or do you intend to keep em) I'd favor makita all the way (Dewwalt, Bosch and Milwakee being very near but for $$ concerns, makita ! )
                            Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7

Adopted Broncos:
                            -:Mr. Decker:-

Comment

Working...
                            X