Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling All Armchair Scientists......

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Calling All Armchair Scientists......

    I was watching some snow flurry activity out our kitchen window, and noticed a bit of a phenomena (at least from my sheltered view!). The window I looked through has shutters.....the top were open wide, and the bottom were open partially. As the snow fell, it appeared that it fell heavier thru the bottom shutters, those that were only part open. It was an illusion of some sort. The question is....why does it look heavier in the partially open shutters, versus lighter in the fully open shutters?


    I am going to make the following assumption.....that the more wide open the space, the more likely we focus on all the surroundings, including the snow of course, but other objects as well.....like the trees, cars, even open air

    whereas......the tighter the viewing space (in this case the partially closed shutters) the more focus we have for the moving, bright snowflakes.....

    Make sense?

  • #2
    You are exactly correct.

    Looking through the totally open shutters, your eyes (well, actually your brain) is consuming all of the background which broadens your focus.

    The partially closed shutters should keep your vision closer and more focused on the shutters themselves and the snowflakes that fall near them.

    If we had those types of shutters on our house, I would attempt the experiment here shortly because the snow is getting ready to start falling again here.

    Correction... It has started.
    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      I was watching some snow flurry activity out our kitchen window, and noticed a bit of a phenomena (at least from my sheltered view!). The window I looked through has shutters.....the top were open wide, and the bottom were open partially. As the snow fell, it appeared that it fell heavier thru the bottom shutters, those that were only part open. It was an illusion of some sort. The question is....why does it look heavier in the partially open shutters, versus lighter in the fully open shutters?


      I am going to make the following assumption.....that the more wide open the space, the more likely we focus on all the surroundings, including the snow of course, but other objects as well.....like the trees, cars, even open air

      whereas......the tighter the viewing space (in this case the partially closed shutters) the more focus we have for the moving, bright snowflakes.....

      Make sense?
      Sure and here's what I found on the subject:

      Physiological illusions, such as the afterimages following bright lights, or adapting stimuli of excessively longer alternating patterns (contingent perceptual aftereffect), are presumed to be the effects on the eyes or brain of excessive stimulation or interaction with contextual or competing stimuli of a specific type—brightness, colour, position, tile, size, movement, etc. The theory is that a stimulus follows its individual dedicated neural path in the early stages of visual processing, and that intense or repetitive activity in that or interaction with active adjoining channels cause a physiological imbalance that alters perception.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by thundercty View Post
        Sure and here's what I found on the subject:

        Physiological illusions, such as the afterimages following bright lights, or adapting stimuli of excessively longer alternating patterns (contingent perceptual aftereffect), are presumed to be the effects on the eyes or brain of excessive stimulation or interaction with contextual or competing stimuli of a specific type—brightness, colour, position, tile, size, movement, etc. The theory is that a stimulus follows its individual dedicated neural path in the early stages of visual processing, and that intense or repetitive activity in that or interaction with active adjoining channels cause a physiological imbalance that alters perception.
        Um... what?

        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
          Um... what?

          I second that Joe!!!!


          ha ha....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by thundercty View Post
            Sure and here's what I found on the subject:

            Physiological illusions, such as the afterimages following bright lights, or adapting stimuli of excessively longer alternating patterns (contingent perceptual aftereffect), are presumed to be the effects on the eyes or brain of excessive stimulation or interaction with contextual or competing stimuli of a specific type—brightness, colour, position, tile, size, movement, etc. The theory is that a stimulus follows its individual dedicated neural path in the early stages of visual processing, and that intense or repetitive activity in that or interaction with active adjoining channels cause a physiological imbalance that alters perception.
            Having fun with ya....but thanks for the research!:thumb:

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CanDB View Post
              Having fun with ya....but thanks for the research!:thumb:
              Yeah, I know....it just sounded cool.

              We are getting snow right now here in Denver.....what a way to start the month!! :thumb:

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                Um... what?

                It was the "excessive stimulation" portion of the paragraph that hooked me.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Also keep in mind that your heat from the inside rises and is escaping out the top shutters, allowing the cold which sinks to come in at the bottom. Almost like a heat vacuum at that point...


                  ... but, enjoy the beauty for what it is.
                  *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                  *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                  *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                    Also keep in mind that your heat from the inside rises and is escaping out the top shutters, allowing the cold which sinks to come in at the bottom. Almost like a heat vacuum at that point...


                    ... but, enjoy the beauty for what it is.
                    eb.....you saying I left my windows open in the cold of winter????





                    (<<<<<<by the way, don't do this on a metal post on a wintery day!!!)

                    It will lead to this>>>>>>

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by thundercty View Post
                      It was the "excessive stimulation" portion of the paragraph that hooked me.

                      Too funny.

                      Can't get much more scientific than that! :thumb:
                      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        eb.....you saying I left my windows open in the cold of winter????





                        (<<<<<<by the way, don't do this on a metal post on a wintery day!!!)

                        It will lead to this>>>>>>ad:
                        Nope.. I'm saying you left your shutters open and there is still heat coming from the closed windows. As you said, "..The window I looked through has shutters.....the top were open wide, and the bottom were open partially.."

                        Aww crap.. I might've got stuck on the same poll.....
                        *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                        *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                        *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*


                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X