Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alastor
    replied
    GPA's take more than a couple of missed days of school to trash at the High School level. Let's be serious here. I attended about half my classes, if that many, and came out with a B average or so, this despite being kicked out (literally) of three different high schools, and finally graduating from the fourth.

Not to mention that if you're a good kid, the teachers will cut you slack. If your grades are normally high and you get suspended, they're more likely to weasel in a way to let you get some "extra credit" if they even stick with the "he's suspended so should take zeros on this work" policy - and in my experience a lot of teachers don't give a crap about that policy.

Once into college - ANY college, if a high GPA is held for the first two years, you can re-apply at any school in the nation, just like I did. I was accepted to Ivy League schools after two years at a state college. I turned them down because of a girl - the bane of my existence.

Anyway, now I'm out of college with my degrees and happy as a pig in slop, and I'm applying for my doctorate school (since it doesn't look like I'm getting a job soon). I'm only applying to the top ten schools in the nation for acceptance - and one of them WILL invite me in, I'm certain of it.

And uh... it's not like I saved mankind, or found a new source of rocket fuel. I'm just a guy, who drank three nights a week in college, skipped at least 5 classes a semester, slacked off on homework, dated, went to parties... I just learned how to study, read and write and kept my grades high in college.

Besides, grades alone won't do anything. You need community involvement and stuff. The time spent getting straight As by most kids would be better served getting Bs and being involved in sports, clubs and the community - that's what they look for at the most popular schools in the nation.

Your GPA in high school is a footnote at best. They're looking for other things, especially at schools like MIT. Any idiot can memorize a book. MIT does not produce idiots. They look for other qualities.

They DO look at GPAs, don't get me wrong. But they're hardly the end-all be-all that seems to be the common perception. Anyone can memorize test answers. They're looking for more than that at that level.

::shrug::

In any case, a three to five day suspension at the high school level shouldn't impact your GPA. If it does, your GPA was trashed anyway to begin with.

Alastor.

Leave a comment:

• chickennob2
    replied
    Originally posted by MoFo_JoRo
    I dint get suspended tho, jus some stupid weekend detention thingys
    hahaha, then dont sweat it man. altho i guess since we have on average 2 to 3 fights a week, a lot of them girl on girl (the halls are always filled with cries of "dat bi*** ripped out my weave"), we are a little stricter here on punishing fights.

Leave a comment:

• MoFo_JoRo
    replied
    I dint get suspended tho, jus some stupid weekend detention thingys

Leave a comment:

• chickennob2
    replied
    now maybe your whole "permanent record" thing is a myth, but your GPA is not. You get suspended for even a day or two your GPA is down the crapper and youre pretty much stuck with some crappy little college. my bro kept himself and ended up at MIT, his best friend got in 2 fights over his entire high school "career" and is now at U of Memphis (not a very good school in case udont know. our school gave us the ACT in 7th grade, i qualified for the U of M honors school with my 7th grade score)

Leave a comment:

• Alastor
    replied
    So wait, you got your ass beat by a coupla girls and then one of them still liked you enough to date you? Hahahahahahahaha...what the crap!? That's funny in a way you must admit.
    Yup, that's about the gist of it. And yeah, I think it's funny too... now.

Alastor.

Leave a comment:

• margerafanisbac
    replied
    i agree with Uula, if someone's screwing with you, dam straight hit him..they're pretty much asking for it anyways. im not saying fighting solves everything, but it works sometimes
    but then again i agree with who ever said something about guys fighting to get girls..it doesnt always get you girls, but what chick doesn't want a man who can fight? lol ok ive said too much

pimpette

Leave a comment:

• RealBronco
    replied
    Originally posted by Alastor
    Meh, it ain't all it's cracked up to be. It's fun for a while, but it gets old and comes at a price. I did get the girls that liked the "bad boys" but all they ever wanted to do was "fix" me (no, not like a cat).

It was okay to release stress once in a while, but in hind-sight I did myself a terrible dis-service.

I'm not going to preach, but it's worth your time to keep it clean in my opinion. If I could do it again I'd do it very differently now.

Besides, you don't always win. Even when you win you lose.

A friend of mine got a knife dragged across his eyes in a fight and was blind for about a month - and they weren't sure he'd see again until the month was over. My other friend got hit with the sand-paper side of a skateboard during the same altercation (which ripped the skin off his scalp and sent blood just SPEWING). I took a key shot in the .... groin... and subsequently found my face slammed into the concrete. I'm pretty sure it broke my nose. At some stage I got a bruised rib to boot.

Meanest girls we ever met. One really shouldn't call anyone a "dyke" just because they have a skateboard - not because it's PC, but because they might also be packing a switch-blade. I dated one of them for nearly a year after that. Man she was hot. We never really "fought" either. We more or less "engaged in combat."

Surely there's a better way to meet girls though. Clean livin' I tell ya; the easy way to date.

Alastor.
    So wait, you got your ass beat by a coupla girls and then one of them still liked you enough to date you? Hahahahahahahaha...what the crap!? That's funny in a way you must admit.

Leave a comment:

• MoFo_JoRo
    replied
    that sounds pretty fun, im thinkin if i dont make it big to nfl someway or another ill box

Leave a comment:

• MoFo_JoRo
    replied
    Well I felt alot better, but now hes playin the victom so everyones givin me crap

Leave a comment:

• SCI03
    replied
    I'm glad you didn't get hurt, but fighting is just plain stupid. and should be only used as a last resort. For defending your family, country or faith. But throwing down over a Salisbury steak or a choice of milk is just plain loco.

Leave a comment:

• Uula Bear
    replied
    don't let these people tell you it's not alright to fight when someone's trying to bully you or take advantage. I think you did the right thing by steping up to some retard who's been taking your grub.

Leave a comment:

• Alastor
    replied

I wish I had gotten into more fights and trouble when I was in school, now that I know the "permanent record" is pretty much a myth.
    Meh, it ain't all it's cracked up to be. It's fun for a while, but it gets old and comes at a price. I did get the girls that liked the "bad boys" but all they ever wanted to do was "fix" me (no, not like a cat).

It was okay to release stress once in a while, but in hind-sight I did myself a terrible dis-service.

I'm not going to preach, but it's worth your time to keep it clean in my opinion. If I could do it again I'd do it very differently now.

Besides, you don't always win. Even when you win you lose.

A friend of mine got a knife dragged across his eyes in a fight and was blind for about a month - and they weren't sure he'd see again until the month was over. My other friend got hit with the sand-paper side of a skateboard during the same altercation (which ripped the skin off his scalp and sent blood just SPEWING). I took a key shot in the .... groin... and subsequently found my face slammed into the concrete. I'm pretty sure it broke my nose. At some stage I got a bruised rib to boot.

Meanest girls we ever met. One really shouldn't call anyone a "dyke" just because they have a skateboard - not because it's PC, but because they might also be packing a switch-blade. I dated one of them for nearly a year after that. Man she was hot. We never really "fought" either. We more or less "engaged in combat."

Surely there's a better way to meet girls though. Clean livin' I tell ya; the easy way to date.

Alastor.

Leave a comment:

• twotone
    replied
    Good, hope ya beat the living crap out of him.

I wish I had gotten into more fights and trouble when I was in school, now that I know the "permanent record" is pretty much a myth.

Leave a comment:

• PAINTERDAVE
    replied
    hey

And Booher, you know, I was just gonna ask you about Polyatomic Ions! Dang Son, what the hell! You can't let me down here!

Leave a comment:

• Booher
    replied
    Sometimes you gotta fight for what you beleive in however that seemed like something you should not of had to fight over.......I got in a fight my senior year long time ago........It screwed me for the year......got out of school suspension for a week .......which meant I went surfing those days , But in chemisty class that was the week they went over polyatomic ions .......I was left struggeling to catch up for the rest of the year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X