Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone help me with this homework question?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone help me with this homework question?

Alright I've been confused as hell on what my sociology professor is asking me, if someone could elaborate on this question please do!

Introduce and explain yourself, and give 1-2 past, present, or anticipated sociological obstacles you have, or plan to overcome.

I don't exactly get what's going on in the class anyways, so please someone explain this to me!

social obstacle as in something you have had to overcome based on the society.

So say you were a fat kid when you were really young you had to deal with the 'stigma' of being big.
    or presently say you have braces present day there would be obstacles in dealing with that. etc

Comment

I was beautiful and it was hard to overcome all the people taking my picture and gazing at my beauty. It was tough growing up.

Lol just kidding. But remedy answered it. It seems like a pretty easy assignment unless your not one to open up a bit about your life.

Comment

Hell, this would have been the easiest assignment of my life
        "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

When in doubt, email your teacher. That's really the best answer.

I'll hazard my take on it anyway though.

social obstacle as in something you have had to overcome based on the society.

So say you were a fat kid when you were really young you had to deal with the 'stigma' of being big.
          or presently say you have braces present day there would be obstacles in dealing with that. etc
          Err... I don't think that's what he means, Remedy.

"Social" means something different to us "normal folk" than "Sociological" means to a sociologist.

I think that what he's referring to is in essence, a social sphere that one is stuck in, or that one wants to break into.

For example, I ran around with a motorcycle club. Still do sometimes. They're a club full of Marines. I was in the Air Force.

That alone took me somewhat out of my element. Not as much as they'd like to believe, but the fact that they thought I was out of my element did have some social impacts.

This club... They're not on the FBI list or anything, but I wouldn't screw with them either, and they're not exactly choir boys. Hell, the priest was packing heat. Yeah, he's a real priest.

"I wouldn't screw with them too much."

Take what you know about me, and imagine the obstacles that were present for me entering that world:

My appearance. My vocabulary (I speak how I write). My musical tastes, my belief system, my obsession with perfection - and others.

Many of them are religious. They're not clean cut. Most of them are pretty big. They're conservative politically - and they're active politically. They're also under the impression that Marines are the only people in the universe that are actually trained for combat, and while it doesn't bug me that they think their experience is unique - it did cause them to treat me differently because of their perceptions of where I came from.

Here I was trying to inject myself (actually, I was kind of dragged into it - but I didn't resist very much) into a world very different from my own normal spheres of familiarity.

Getting to learn the lingo, the procedures, the nuances, the behaviors, the method of posturing and presentation... Kind of interesting.

THAT is a sociological obstacle, or barrier.

The professor doesn't care if you're skinny, fat, wear glasses or have a lisp. Those are just personal social traits.

A sociological obstacle is something far more substantial than that. It's the equivalent of being female and wanting to be a kicker in the NFL.

It's not about appearances or superficial behaviors. He wants to know where your boundaries are, which ones you'd like to break, or which ones you've already busted through to.

I suspect at any rate.

Originally posted by HUMCALC
          Hell, this would have been the easiest assignment of my life
          Not true. For most people, breaking through genuine social obstacles doesn't happen until after college, and sometimes not even then. We're creatures of comfort, and it's kind of a rare trait for someone to try to bust through to go places they're not familiar with or generally accepted in at first.

That's not as common as people think. Many of the students in Blue Thunda's class are going to struggle on this assignment, because my wager is that most of them have never actually challenged very many sociological barriers.

I also suspect that's kind of the point the professor is trying to make to people that want to be sociologists one day. They're not going to be able to do that if they just camp in the womb they were conceived in.

It's a clever assignment, actually. I like your professor already, Blue.

Comment

I'ma ask some questions, Blue.

Have you ever changed religions? Have you ever either started being religious or stopped and are now atheistic despite that most in your family have remained devoutly religious?

If you were anywhere in your later teens when that happened, that might be a sociological obstacle. That's a huge alteration of your comfort zones, and a massive exploration of a new one.

Perhaps you were raised very wealthy and then in your teens your family went bankrupt. You changed schools, had to move to a new one, a new environment with people who were living in poverty - and the social customs were very very different. Perhaps you were raised in poverty and in your teens your folks landed that uber-job that suddenly made you one of the rich kids.

Your professor's not looking for physical traits that create challenges for you.

He wants to know when you have genuinely been a fish out of water - or what beach you want to hop up onto in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor

"Social" means something different to us "normal folk" than "Sociological" means to a sociologist.

I think that what he's referring to is in essence, a social sphere that one is stuck in, or that one wants to break into.

For example, I ran around with a motorcycle club. Still do sometimes. They're a club full of Marines. I was in the Air Force.

That alone took me somewhat out of my element. Not as much as they'd like to believe, but the fact that they thought I was out of my element did have some social impacts.

This club... They're not on the FBI list or anything, but I wouldn't screw with them either, and they're not exactly choir boys. Hell, the priest was packing heat. Yeah, he's a real priest.

Take what you know about me, and imagine the obstacles that were present for me entering that world:

My appearance. My vocabulary (I speak how I write). My musical tastes, my belief system, my obsession with perfection - and others.

Many of them are religious. They're not clean cut. Most of them are pretty big. They're conservative politically - and they're active politically. They're also under the impression that Marines are the only people in the universe that are actually trained for combat, and while it doesn't bug me that they think their experience is unique - it did cause them to treat me differently because of their perceptions of where I came from.

Here I was trying to inject myself (actually, I was kind of dragged into it - but I didn't resist very much) into a world very different from my own normal spheres of familiarity.

Getting to learn the lingo, the procedures, the nuances, the behaviors, the method of posturing and presentation... Kind of interesting.

The professor doesn't care if you're skinny, fat, wear glasses or have a lisp. Those are just personal social traits.

A sociological obstacle is something far more substantial than that. It's the equivalent of being female and wanting to be a kicker in the NFL.

It's not about appearances or superficial behaviors. He wants to know where your boundaries are, which ones you'd like to break, or which ones you've already busted through to.

I suspect at any rate.

Not true. For most people, breaking through genuine social obstacles doesn't happen until after college, and sometimes not even then. We're creatures of comfort, and it's kind of a rare trait for someone to try to bust through to go places they're not familiar with or generally accepted in at first.

That's not as common as people think. Many of the students in Blue Thunda's class are going to struggle on this assignment, because my wager is that most of them have never actually challenged very many sociological barriers.

I also suspect that's kind of the point the professor is trying to make to people that want to be sociologists one day. They're not going to be able to do that if they just camp in the womb they were conceived in.

You wouldn't believe the obstacles I've overcome and not just the obvious one
              "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by HUMCALC
                You wouldn't believe the obstacles I've overcome and not just the obvious one
                A "Sociological Obstacle?"

If you've got examples, list them if you're open to it. They might help Blue.

Comment

I've changed religious affilations
                  I've gone from being a millionaire to $400,000 in debt
                  I hung out with only handicapped people & then I hung out with anybody but the handicapped

I'll name some more later

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor

I suspect at any rate.

I think you're right, and this is why semantics mater in writing.
                    you would think after all my years of school / couple of degrees I would learn to read haha

Comment

Damn Alastor, you hit the nail on the head. Thanks for clarifying for me because it was difficult to really understand the concept because it just hasn't necessarily happened yet like you said.

But to answer your questions, I live in alabama currently. I was born and raised in Florida from when i was born till I turned 6. Both of my parents are Yankees, mom grew up in the Bronx, Dad in Connecticut, and moved to Florida. We moved because dad got a promotion, been surrounded by hillbillies and rednecks ever since. Lol jk (kinda).

Both of my parents are Athiests generally (mom's agnostic). So I was never really raised into any form of religion, I am athiest. Down in Bama, Loving jesus is the bomb.com. If you don't love him, you're called out in front of everyone to be stoned (Exaggeration obviously). I guess that's kind of my only sociological obstacle.

But anyway back to my parents. Both are democrats as well. We live in a red state and are swarmed by Ron Paul lovers and Obama Haters. Dad makes a good salary, mom works hard too. I go to a Liberal Arts school in a small town in Montevallo (University of Montevallo).

But we do have to present these to the class, so I would love to use the athiest vs the christians pick. But I'm too afraid to be able to speak it without drawing bad blood or anything haha. But the point of the assignment is exactly what I'm thinking to do. Idk for sure yet though.....

Comment

But yes my teacher is ballin'. I've always enjoyed discussion based classes and this is definitely a discussion class.

Comment

I'm glad I could help. If you don't want to talk about your current situation, the profo also asked what social obstacles you'd like to overcome too, right?

Maybe you'd like to go to Africa and be a teacher. Maybe China. Maybe you want to go start a small business in Colombia one day. Maybe you want to be a male OBGYN - which is an almost exclusively female field these days.

Things like that.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎