X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebsoria
    replied
    Originally posted by Emily Diana View Post
    You're welcome, Eb. I saw you had posted you wanted more information on Erin's Law, and had some time to check into it further for you. I'm proud my state has passed Erin's Law. Here's hoping the rest follow suit. Training is important for those who work with children. They may be the first -- or only -- person a hurting child turns to for help. And educating our children helps aid prevention as well.
    It all starts with education and telling our children it is NOT "okay".

Leave a comment:

• Emily Diana
    replied
    Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
    Thank you for this. :hugs:
    You're welcome, Eb. I saw you had posted you wanted more information on Erin's Law, and had some time to check into it further for you. I'm proud my state has passed Erin's Law. Here's hoping the rest follow suit. Training is important for those who work with children. They may be the first -- or only -- person a hurting child turns to for help. And educating our children helps aid prevention as well.

Leave a comment:

• Emily Diana
    replied
    - Child Sexual Abuse: Top 5 Countries With the Highest Rates -

"United States: "Even if the true prevalence of child sexual abuse is not known, most will agree that there will be 500,000 babies born in the US this year that will be sexually abused before they turn 18 if we do not prevent it," according to the Children Assessment Centre (CAC). ...

...Adult retrospective studies show that 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men were sexually abused before the age of 18. This means there are more than 42 million adult survivors of child sexual abuse in the US," said the CAC."...

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/child-sexua...-rates-1436162

Leave a comment:

• Emily Diana
    replied
    - Vt. doctor specializes in spotting child abuse -

"Dr. Karyn Patno knows the horrors of child abuse all too well.

"Ultimately the goal is not to get the bad guy, the goal is to protect the child," she said.

Patno is Vermont's first board-certified child abuse pediatrician, a sub-specialty that was developed by the American Board of Pediatrics in 2009. Before that, investigators relied on general pediatricians to evaluate children for child abuse."...

http://www.wcax.com/story/24729992/v...ng-child-abuse

Leave a comment:

• Emily Diana
    replied
    - California educator accused on YouTube of sexual abuse charged with 16 felonies -

"A California educator who authorities say is the person accused in a YouTube video of sexual abuse by a former student was charged Monday with 16 felony counts of child sex abuse, the Riverside County District Attorney's Office said.

Andrea Michelle Cardosa was charged with five counts of aggravated sexual assault on a child and 11 counts of lewd acts on a child, the DA's office said."...

"...Two women have come forward in connection with the case. The first woman, now 28, posted a YouTube video in which she accused the educator of abusing her at age 12.

The second alleged victim, now 18, has filed a complaint accusing the Val Verde Unified School District in Perris, California, of negligence."...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/03/justic...teacher-abuse/

Leave a comment:

• ebsoria
    replied
    Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
    Well I had misunderstood the thread from the very start, I thought it was about raising awareness on child abuse. I was unaware that it was for the awareness of adult survivors. If controversial news is going to be posted on any thread, there should be an option to discuss it. If it is not up for discussion, all I had suggested is that those stories be moved to a thread in the political forum rather than here.

I understand now that this is a thread for survivors to gather and not so much about awareness, that being said I will stay off this thread going forward.

Emily Diana: you said you wish it had been discussed on a different thread and not here. The articles that you are posting here to some extent would not typically be allowed in this area of the forum, or it was my understanding that more controversial issues were for the political forum. However, because they have been mixed in here, as it turns out this is one thread that controversial news stories are allowed on, and those who view them differently than you do are not really allowed to have an opinion.

I will not remove my quote, because the quote was in regards to the controversial news story your were posting and not directed at you or any other individual on this board who has survived child abuse. If you would like to remove the stories that you are posting on that issue… then at that point I will request my post on it be deleted. If you would like me to respect you, I ask the same in return.
    This thread did indeed start that way and has morphed into what you see now.

I think the only thing you misunderstood is what I Was trying to say. You can post here all you want. All I was asking was that you be sensitive.

Leave a comment:

• Sophia23
    replied
    Well I had misunderstood the thread from the very start, I thought it was about raising awareness on child abuse. I was unaware that it was for the awareness of adult survivors. If controversial news is going to be posted on any thread, there should be an option to discuss it. If it is not up for discussion, all I had suggested is that those stories be moved to a thread in the political forum rather than here.

I understand now that this is a thread for survivors to gather and not so much about awareness, that being said I will stay off this thread going forward.

Emily Diana: you said you wish it had been discussed on a different thread and not here. The articles that you are posting here to some extent would not typically be allowed in this area of the forum, or it was my understanding that more controversial issues were for the political forum. However, because they have been mixed in here, as it turns out this is one thread that controversial news stories are allowed on, and those who view them differently than you do are not really allowed to have an opinion.

I will not remove my quote, because the quote was in regards to the controversial news story your were posting and not directed at you or any other individual on this board who has survived child abuse. If you would like to remove the stories that you are posting on that issue… then at that point I will request my post on it be deleted. If you would like me to respect you, I ask the same in return.

Leave a comment:

• Emily Diana
    replied
    I'm sure I'll be hated for this post… yet I'll write it anyways.

I'm not a fan of woody allen, but have a hard time with this being something that was an open letter in a newspaper. To me… that sounds a little bit more like some sort of cold revenge of an ex( what is her mom's name) than a child who was sexually abused and suddenly wanted the world to know. I think if an individual was abused, there is going to be a different approach for justice… Not this.

Maybe I should be silenced because I wasn't abused as a child… I was probably more sheltered than anything else. Yet those I've known who were abused had a different attitude or approach…. than others who seem to do it for attention of spite over a different matter.

Sorry if I offended anybody with my post here, but I was impressed with so much on it up until recently….

I don't hate anyone for having or expressing an opinion. I do wish this would have been done in a different thread; one for discussing or maybe debating(?) current news events, instead of a safe thread regarding child abuse... but that isn't up to me.

I will ask you to please edit your first post on this topic, to remove your quoting a post of mine. You are entitled to your opinions regarding Dylan, me or any other abuse survivor -- and choosing whether you believe us or not -- but I do not want mine attached to your sharing them. Thank you for removing the quote. Take care.

Leave a comment:

• ebsoria
    replied
    I don't feel that I was being disrespectful at all of anyone on this thread. I do apologize if it came off that way. I have some very strong feelings on the subject wether it is something that happened to me or not. I feel that when something as devastating as child abuse is brought up with pertinent information that drives attention to it that is important. I feel when a controversial news story comes up that many are 50/50 on and it is mixed in with something that is more serious such as legitimate information on certain programs to protect children… it takes away the importance of the serious issue by mixing it with something controversial that others may be torn on because it comes off as maybe a topic for the political room on did or did not this famous actor do this as opposed to saying lets mix it into this thread… My opinion. I would hope that my opinion would be respected on these boards as well.
    Your opinion is very valued. I was just referring to blanket statements like "I think if an individual was abused, there is going to be a different approach for justice… Not this." and "Yet those I've known who were abused had a different attitude or approach…. than others who seem to do it for attention of spite over a different matter." No two people repsond in the same manner. Some have litteraly killed the person and people who hurt them. Some have litteraly killed themselves. We can't predict how someone reacts or responds nor can we condemn them in how they do it.

False alegations? Well, that's another conversation for another day. When it comes to child abuse I do tend to lean heavily on the "where there's smoke" theory because we don't listen to our children. Those hurting our children are often people they are supposed to trust and it confuses them into thinking it's okay becuase they are being told it is okay.

Of course we can't, and I won't engage in a political conversation here with you about this. The intent of this thread was more to create a place for survivors to find some hope and inspiration and while I was at it maybe raise awareness just a little.

Leave a comment:

• Sophia23
    replied
    Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
    Well, I won't say you're hated for expressing your opinion. Nor will I ask you to change it. That's the point of mose of the discussions on these boards.

What I can ask is that you be sensitive in this thread to those who have and are having those experiences that have changed their lives. There are many different ways people respond act who have been through this. I personally know a few who never faced what they went through and years later, in their twilight years, are dealing with it in ways that fit what you say you don't typically see. In most cases it's not for attention other then draw the public's eyes to a very serious problem. It's not "spite" other then that they now feel they can take steps for change and possibly to birng the person who hurt them some sort of pennance.

Sophia, please understand, I am posting as one of those survivors who took years to face and deal with what I went through. I am one of those survivors who is bringing it out in a very public manner to force change and raise awareness. Do some people do it out of the form of spite and attention you manetion? Sure. But, for the large part, most survivors do not.
    I don't feel that I was being disrespectful at all of anyone on this thread. I do apologize if it came off that way. I have some very strong feelings on the subject wether it is something that happened to me or not. I feel that when something as devastating as child abuse is brought up with pertinent information that drives attention to it that is important. I feel when a controversial news story comes up that many are 50/50 on and it is mixed in with something that is more serious such as legitimate information on certain programs to protect children… it takes away the importance of the serious issue by mixing it with something controversial that others may be torn on because it comes off as maybe a topic for the political room on did or did not this famous actor do this as opposed to saying lets mix it into this thread… My opinion. I would hope that my opinion would be respected on these boards as well.

Leave a comment:

• ebsoria
    replied

I'm not a fan of woody allen, but have a hard time with this being something that was an open letter in a newspaper. To me… that sounds a little bit more like some sort of cold revenge of an ex( what is her mom's name) than a child who was sexually abused and suddenly wanted the world to know. I think if an individual was abused, there is going to be a different approach for justice… Not this.

Maybe I should be silenced because I wasn't abused as a child… I was probably more sheltered than anything else. Yet those I've known who were abused had a different attitude or approach…. than others who seem to do it for attention of spite over a different matter.

Sorry if I offended anybody with my post here, but I was impressed with so much on it up until recently….
    Well, I won't say you're hated for expressing your opinion. Nor will I ask you to change it. That's the point of mose of the discussions on these boards.

What I can ask is that you be sensitive in this thread to those who have and are having those experiences that have changed their lives. There are many different ways people respond act who have been through this. I personally know a few who never faced what they went through and years later, in their twilight years, are dealing with it in ways that fit what you say you don't typically see. In most cases it's not for attention other then draw the public's eyes to a very serious problem. It's not "spite" other then that they now feel they can take steps for change and possibly to birng the person who hurt them some sort of pennance.

Sophia, please understand, I am posting as one of those survivors who took years to face and deal with what I went through. I am one of those survivors who is bringing it out in a very public manner to force change and raise awareness. Do some people do it out of the form of spite and attention you manetion? Sure. But, for the large part, most survivors do not.

Leave a comment:

• Sophia23
    replied
    Originally posted by Emily Diana View Post
    - Dylan Farrow Speaks Out About Her Woody Allen Allegations – and the Backlash -

"It was a letter she wished she never had to write, about something she says she wished had never happened.

Dylan Farrow says it took all the courage she had to finally pen the emotional open letter she sent to the New York Times detailing her claim that her adoptive father, Woody Allen, had sexually molested her as a child, she exclusively tells PEOPLE.

"It took all of my strength and all of my emotional fortitude to do what I did this week in the hope that it would put the truth out there," says Dylan, 28, now a happily married writer. "That is my only ammunition. I don't have money or publicists or limos or fancy apartments in Manhattan. All I have is the truth and that is all I put out there."...

http://www.people.com/people/article...784292,00.html

Leave a comment:

• Emily Diana
    replied
    - N.C. senator wants sex abuse prevention education in schools - :clap:

..."Robinson said she plans on introducing a bill to enact the law in North Carolina when the General Assembly reconvenes in May.

“There needs to be a curriculum to instruct our children on what is good touch versus bad touch,” she said. “We educate our kids about fire prevention, about other topics, but not this.”

The law, named after Illinois sexual abuse victim Erin Merryn, mandates sexual abuse awareness and prevention education yearly from kindergarten through 12th grade."...

http://www.news-record.com/news/arti...7a43b2370.html

Leave a comment:

• Emily Diana
    replied
    - Dylan Farrow Speaks Out About Her Woody Allen Allegations – and the Backlash -

"It was a letter she wished she never had to write, about something she says she wished had never happened.

Dylan Farrow says it took all the courage she had to finally pen the emotional open letter she sent to the New York Times detailing her claim that her adoptive father, Woody Allen, had sexually molested her as a child, she exclusively tells PEOPLE.

"It took all of my strength and all of my emotional fortitude to do what I did this week in the hope that it would put the truth out there," says Dylan, 28, now a happily married writer. "That is my only ammunition. I don't have money or publicists or limos or fancy apartments in Manhattan. All I have is the truth and that is all I put out there."...

http://www.people.com/people/article...784292,00.html

Leave a comment:

• Emily Diana
    replied
    - 10 Undeniable Facts About the Woody Allen Sexual-Abuse Allegation - 2/7/2014

"This week, a number of commentators have published articles containing incorrect and irresponsible claims regarding the allegation of Woody Allen’s having sexually abused his adopted daughter, Dylan Farrow. As the author of two lengthy, heavily researched and thoroughly fact-checked articles that deal with that allegation—the first published in 1992, when Dylan was seven, and the second last fall, when she was 28—I feel obliged to set the record straight. As such, I have compiled the following list of undeniable facts:" ...

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...abuse-10-facts

The scathing 33-page decision from the presiding judge in Woody Allen’s 1992 custody suit against Mia Farrow.

http://www.vanityfair.com/dam/2014/0...stody-suit.pdf

"I’ve avoided writing about this case because it’s so terribly sad, and plenty of good stuff has already been written. But I’ve been driven to add yet another piece to the flood by something that seems to me to have been overlooked so far, namely, the surprising fact that Mia is constantly accused of brainwashing and Woody is not."...

http://excrementalvirtue.com/2014/02...washing-woody/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X