Protect Our Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FF posted this one the other day and it scares me;

22% of American children go to bed each night with food anxiety. Meaning that they are worried about where their next meal will come from.

Think about that a second. 22%. That's just over 1 in 5. That means that out of every 5 children you see today, one of them is scared of where their next meal is coming from.

I cannot fathom that!!!

I was watching the American Country Music Awards the other day. A company called Con Agra was advertising a program for feed the children. I looked into it and they offer many different foods we buy everyday. On their products are codes to enter online and with each entry food is donated to organizations to feed children. I know it puts more money in their pockets if we look for their products. But, most importantly, it puts more food into the bellies of these children.

Please.. look for this logo on your favorite foods and help the children. It won't cost you any money unless you buy more food. But, it may just feed that child next to you.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
      FF posted this one the other day and it scares me;

22% of American children go to bed each night with food anxiety. Meaning that they are worried about where their next meal will come from.

Think about that a second. 22%. That's just over 1 in 5. That means that out of every 5 children you see today, one of them is scared of where their next meal is coming from.

I cannot fathom that!!!

I was watching the American Country Music Awards the other day. A company called Con Agra was advertising a program for feed the children. I looked into it and they offer many different foods we buy everyday. On their products are codes to enter online and with each entry food is donated to organizations to feed children. I know it puts more money in their pockets if we look for their products. But, most importantly, it puts more food into the bellies of these children.

Please.. look for this logo on your favorite foods and help the children. It won't cost you any money unless you buy more food. But, it may just feed that child next to you.
      Support your local food bank, too. Often they can leverage $$ donations and purchase far more food on the dollar than you and I can. Our local food bank (not my organization which runs a food pantry) can purchase $10 worth of food for every $1 donated to them.

If financial support is not possible, consider food donations of shelf-stable, nutritious foods. My pantry is constantly in need of items like canned tuna, pasta, cereal, canned veggies, canned soups, etc. There is an increasing trend to have perishable food items donated as well, which is great but creates storage problems. It's harder for me to store fresh fruit due to limited refrigeration space than it is for me to store a can of peaches - and the nutritional value is still pretty close to fresh.

If donations are not possible at all, consider volunteering with a group that provides food relief in your area. We can't do it without you - really, we can't.
      Last edited by Flatlander Fan; 04-06-2012, 08:07 AM.
      Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
      FF is awesome!

Comment

Eric Justin Toth replaces Bin Laden in FBI's top 10

The FBI has updated it's top 10 most wanted, dropping Osama Bin Laden off the list. Eric Justin Toth has been placed into the top 10 most wanted now.

Story here.

Comment

There was a time when I was very closed about what I endured as a child. I was ashamed. I, like many, thought I was at fault for what happened and I was ashamed.

Not now.

If anyone who has SURVIVED is reading this and is feeling like I once felt... it was NOT your fault.

It was the fault of the person who hurt you.

Go back and read that last line again.........

How does that make you feel? I'll tell you how it makes me feel. It makes me angry. It makes me angry because you are hurt. Because you are not okay right now. Because you have not yet found that place where you can feel comfortable to reach out for help.

There IS help. It's out there. Even if it's an anonymous post or private message of phone call.. there IS help. Reach out for it. You are not alone. You are not at fault. PM me if you need help or just want to talk. Post here if you can. THERE IS HELP and there is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Comment

Another great article I found

Here's another great one I found. The 7 things you should NOT do if your child discloses sexual abuse. I underlined two key points that really stood out to me.

http://voices.yahoo.com/7-things-not-if-5643392.html

"There is nothing more terrifying to a parent than to learn that your child has been sexually abused. Unfortunately, statistics tell us that 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 5 boys will be sexually abused before they reach the age of 18. If you find yourself in a situation where your child reports abuse or you suspect abuse, there are some things that you should definitely NOT do.

1) DON'T panic. This may seem like an unreasonable request. You will be flooded with emotions and may have difficulty containing them. However, your initial reaction will create a lasting impression upon your child. Very young children may not even know the full magnitude of what they are telling you and your reaction will color their perception of the event and also themselves. Intense anger can be very scary to a young child and they often misinterpret it as being directed at them. Do what you need to do to process your feelings about the disclosure, but do not do it in front of the child.

2) DON'T ask specific questions. You can ask your child if she is okay. You can ask her to tell you who was involved and where it happened if they do not disclose that information initially. But as hard as it will be, you must refrain from asking any probing questions in order to elicit details. There are two reasons why this is prudent. First of all, young children can be highly suggestible. The very nature of your question can alter their answer. You could unknowingly be leading them to state facts that are simply not true just by the content of your question. Secondly, if there is to be a criminal investigation, you want it to be as "clean" as possible. The fewer interviews the child has to endure, the more consistent and more comprehensive her statement will be. Professionals are trained in how to ask questions so that they do not lead the witness into making an inconsistent and thereby inadmissible statement. You want the person who did this to your child to receive the maximum punishment possible. Don't create a defense by weakening your child's statement. Prosecuting perpetrators is very difficult. The authorities will need all the help they can get.

3) DON'T keep it a secret. Sexual abuse thrives on secrecy. It is its lifeblood. Do not tell your child to keep it a secret. Telling her to keep it a secret sends the message that she did something bad (young children often see themselves as complicit in a sexual abuse incident, particularly non-violent abuse). Secondly, teaching her that it is okay to keep secrets is exactly the type of groundwork that perpetrators hope you will lay - it makes your child an easier target. Praise her for telling you and contact the authorities (police or child welfare) immediately.

4) DON'T contact the perpetrator yourself. You may want to contact the alleged perpetrator and give him or her a piece of your mind (or fist). Again, this would be a huge mistake. You do not want to help him. He needs to be caught off guard. Giving him time to prepare a response is not a luxury you want to extend. Leave the contact to the authorities.

5) DON'T allow your child to have any unsupervised contact with the suspected perpetrator. This can be complicated in situations where the perpetrator lives in the home with you. But do whatever it takes to safeguard your child. Sleep on the floor of her room or go to a hotel. There is nothing too extreme that you can do to keep her safe. Assure your child that the lack of contact with the suspected perpetrator is not a punishment for telling. Calmly explain that what happened to her was not safe and that your job is to keep her safe.

6) DON'T minimize or explain away your child's disclosure. Studies have found that children whose parents believe them from the very beginning have the most favorable outcome from treatment. She needs to know that you believe her and that you are going to do whatever you can to protect her. If you do this, your child will have a much better chance of coming through the other side of this tragedy with her sense of self in tact.

7) DON'T wait to get treatment. Get your child into treatment with a licensed professional therapist who is trained in both evaluations and treatment as soon as possible. Your child will likely need an evaluation and treatment and the fewer transitions she has to endure the better.

Following these guidelines upon disclosure of sexual abuse will ensure that you are doing everything within your power to punish the person who did this. But more importantly, you will be providing the support and safety your child so desperately needs."

Comment

More accusers come forward in Sandusky's case.

Sick. Utterly sick and disgusting. I'm the type when it comes to this type of thing that where there's smoke there is a fire. In Jerry's case.. there is a raging wildfire!! As many of you know my patience for this kind of stuff is very thin and even borders on not existing. Let the courts take their toll, but in the court of public opinion, this man is done. His life is over. You don't get found innocent in the court and everyone forgives you. In a case like this.. you're done.

Comment

This is why we work so hard to try to raise awareness.

Comment

Need some cash? Seen this guy? Report him and help a child.

http://www.rewardhunt.com/content/po...winklebeck-pic

Comment

There's a special place in hell for those who harm children.

Be aware. Believe our children. Protect our children.

Comment

Here's something chilling I came across that I had to share;

"Words From Sexual Offenders
                      I am probably well-known and liked by you and your child.
                      I can be a man or woman, married or single.
                      I can be a child, adolescent, or adult.
                      I can be of any race, hold any religious belief, and have any sexual preference.
                      I can be a parent, step-parent, relative, family friend, teacher, clergyman, baby-sitter, or anyone who comes in contact with children.
                      I am likely to be a stable, employed, respected member of the community.
                      My education and my intelligence don't prevent me from molesting your child.
                      I can be anybody
                      ~ written by offenders in treatment at the Center for Behavioral Intervention in Beaverton, Oregon (n.d.) "

We can't hide this from our children. We need to talk to them and make sure they know that if anyone is hurting them they need to tell someone.

I also came across this that I felt needed to be shared;

"What Is Child Abuse? --
                      Child abuse is the physical, psychological or sexual maltreatment of children. While most child abuse happens in the child’s home, a significant portion also occurs in organizations involving children, such as churches, schools, child care businesses, and residential schools. There are four major categories of child abuse: neglect, physical abuse, psychological or emotional abuse and sexual abuse. There are different subcategories within each type of abuse. It’s easy to identify some forms of child abuse, but difficult for other forms. The fact that a child experienced harm doesn’t necessarily reveal abuse. Child abuse is an action or inaction that harms a child. The person responsible should have known their action or inaction was likely to cause harm. Well, that’s a very legalistic point of view. Let me give you another one:
                      Child abuse, from the standpoint of the victim, is anything that harms you!!"

Comment

There was a time when I was very closed about what I endured as a child. I was ashamed. I, like many, thought I was at fault for what happened and I was ashamed.

Not now.

If anyone who has SURVIVED is reading this and is feeling like I once felt... it was NOT your fault.

It was the fault of the person who hurt you.

Go back and read that last line again.........

How does that make you feel? I'll tell you how it makes me feel. It makes me angry. It makes me angry because you are hurt. Because you are not okay right now. Because you have not yet found that place where you can feel comfortable to reach out for help.

There IS help. It's out there. Even if it's an anonymous post or private message of phone call.. there IS help. Reach out for it. You are not alone. You are not at fault. PM me if you need help or just want to talk. Post here if you can. THERE IS HELP and there is nothing to be embarrassed about.
                        Thank you for talking so openly about this and to everyone else who have shared their stories in this thread.
                        It angers me that you have suffered so much but I admire you for using your suffering to raise awareness and help others.
                        Last edited by Jaws; 06-30-2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                          Thank you for talking so openly about this and to everyone else who have shared their stories in this thread.
                          It angers me that you have suffered so much but I admire you for using your suffering to raise awareness and help others.
                          Thank you. Survivors appreciate your support. But, don't be angry. Be aware and reach back if ever someone reached out to you. Of course, why am I telling you? You are a very big hearted person.. err.. shark. :hug:

Comment

Thank you. Survivors appreciate your support. But, don't be angry. Be aware and reach back if ever someone reached out to you. Of course, why am I telling you? You are a very big hearted person.. err.. shark. :hug:
                            Hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you work your way through all the negative emotions and pain and turn it into something that has made you come out as strong as you are?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                              Hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you work your way through all the negative emotions and pain and turn it into something that has made you come out as strong as you are?
                              I don't mind you asking at all. Short answer? It was a decision I made and left myself no options.

When I was much younger I was forced into therapy. It didn't work for me. I went in a shy, silent little boy. I came out a shy, silent little boy who the doctor said "had nothing to talk about". I stayed that way for many years. It was in High School that I started to find myself and started to express who I was. It was about my senior year that I started to realize that I did nothing wrong, but I wasn't as open about my experiences quite yet.

I had a serious girlfriend my senior year of high school and we ended up moving in together after graduation. I opened up to her and it scared and stressed her out to the point it had a negative impact on our relationship. We broke up and I ended up moving to Sacramento. I met some new friends and even started dating my 1st wife(the mother of my two children, but the divorce is another whole story). I opened up to her and my new friends and they all welcomed me and I had a positive reaction. They took no pity, they just showed love and support. Through those friends I was able to meet some children who had been through very similiar situations and I had a chance to help them. Kinda "mentor" them, if you will.

But, there was one little boy who touched my life. His mom worked with my ex. She was talking to my ex at work one day about her little boy and the abuses he had gone through until she found out and put an end to it. She said she felt so guilty and felt like she ruined his life. My ex mentioned me and what I went through. The lady right away asked if I'd be willing to talk to her son since we had all met and he seemed to really like me. I said "of course!!!!".

I didn't talk to him directly at first. Just hung out with him. Took him to the park a couple times. Just chilled. Then once day he says- "Mom told me what you went through. What did you do to get into so much trouble?" That broke my heart and I right away told him that I did nothing wrong that brought that stuff on me. I told him he did nothing wrong and that what he went through was not his fault. We talked off and on for a few months after that. His behavior and attitude changed. His school grades starting going up. He became quite the different little person. It was wonderful!!

That was what tempered me into my beliefs and thoughts. The innocent little "What did you do to get into so much trouble?" is what made me realize that the children do believe they did something wrong to deserve such a punishment. That was the moment that I realized that we just need to be there and let them know they are okay and we're here to help and then actually help when they're ready for it.

It was the actually feeling like I helped change one life that helped put me where I am. Added to that are the people around me. I've opened up to all of the close friends I have as a sort of "test" and they've embraced me and my past for what I am. So I've kept them close. I have a great support system, which all survivors need. And I have such a huge positive reinforcement from opening up and having those positive reactions. I've had many more positive then negative. And, like Pavlov's dog, I really like that reward I get knowing my opening up has helped someone. I have a few friends I've opened up to who have said- "You've just verbalized what I feel and what I went through, thank you". My opening up has allowed them to open up and seeing their faces light up in relief makes me feel good.

It was being able to see that I was not alone and that opening up allowed others to open up.

I even have a distant family member who saw all of my postings about the Sandusky crap last week on Facebook. She sent me a PM telling me about some of the crap she went through and thanked me because she finally felt like she had someone she could talk to. That's what makes me strong.
                              Last edited by ebsoria; 07-01-2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing this and for all you've been able to do to help others and the healing you've found in this process. You never know when something you say or open up about can be a help to others. There are so many keeping things to themselves and blaming themselves. I can imagine that being freed from that prison is such a relief.

Comment

Working...
                                X