Protect Our Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    Wow. Thank you so much for sharing this and for all you've been able to do to help others and the healing you've found in this process. You never know when something you say or open up about can be a help to others. There are so many keeping things to themselves and blaming themselves. I can imagine that being freed from that prison is such a relief.
    One step after the next get's us where we're goin. Right?
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

You are a special person, eb.

Sometimes I wonder why we go through what we have. When I look into a little girl's eyes and tell her "I know exactly how you feel. I've been there, too." and see those eyes fill up and I hold her as she shakes...

It's worth it.
      Administrator
      sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Eb, Peanut - you're both such a blessing to so many.
        Hats off to you and huge hugs!

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
          You are a special person, eb.

Sometimes I wonder why we go through what we have. When I look into a little girl's eyes and tell her "I know exactly how you feel. I've been there, too." and see those eyes fill up and I hold her as she shakes...

It's worth it.
          I agree 100%!! Seeing the relief fill them is what makes me feel good. You too, are a special person. :hug:

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
          Eb, Peanut - you're both such a blessing to so many.
          Hats off to you and huge hugs!
          Huge hugs back!! Especially because we know you're doing your part across the pond.

Comment

I'm asking anyone who reads this to Take The Pledge. One in four children suffer food anxiety, meaning that they have no idea if or where they will be getting their next meal from.

No Kid Hungry is an organization that is striving to end this fear for children by ending child hunger by the year 2015. It is a lofty goal, but with YOUR help and the help of everyone who is involved to this point, we can do it. Please help anyway you feel you can. Be it a few dollars, your time, or even as simple as clicking a link that takes a few seconds and spreading the word, all we ask is for you to help our children and to end their food anxiety.

Please help us.

Comment

I'm pretty sure some of you have taken the Pledge. If not, and you're curious.. click the link in my sig.

Other then that.. if you've taken it.. now do something about it. :thumb:

Comment

Too much evil in this world. These Sandusky types are populating like rats.

Can congress pass a law that would allow citizens to kill child sex offenders?

Comment

Also, sorry to hear dat story ebsoria & peanut. I'm glad yall didn't let your experiences defeat you and were willing to share dem wit us.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Bird View Post
                    Also, sorry to hear dat story ebsoria & peanut. I'm glad yall didn't let your experiences defeat you and were willing to share dem wit us.

Anything to help.

Comment

Just to open some eyes....

Found it here.

"To protect children from sexual abuse, parents should keep some specific things in mind about how adults interact with their children, particularly in youth-service organizations largely staffed by volunteers, experts say.

Parents should be “attuned enough” to notice if “the kid who was happy and engaged until last month … starts breaking things, crying, being moody” -- and should try to find out why, said Dr. Jonathan Slavin, a clinical instructor in psychology at Harvard Medical School who works with adult survivors of trauma and sexual abuse.
                      Slavin said it’s not clear if increased outreach and education within youth groups and schools about sexual abuse recently has made it easier or more likely that children will report sex attacks or attempts.
                      Allegations of sexual molestation should always get a supportive, caring response from the adult a child confides in. Experts say kids need to be told they’ve done the right thing in telling, that they’re not to blame, and that they’re going to be protected.
                      Sexual predators seek out children who lack close parental ties, particularly those from single-parent homes. They’ll often befriend parents to gain access to the child.
                      Pedophiles mostly use affection and attention as their currency, devoting extraordinary amounts of time to the youngsters they target.
                      “The successful perpetrator has a very good way with kids, they’re not the scary guy in the raincoat, they’re very engaging,” said Dr. Judith Cohen, medical director at the Center for Traumatic Stress in Children and Adolescents at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh.
                      Cohen said many parents don’t provide enough “nitty-gritty details” about safety and healthy sexuality. “They need to explain that this kind of touching is wrong, that being alone with so-and-so is not OK. You need to tell (children) these things before you send them to preschool or to a coach or camp, and you need to drill it and practice it so they’re confident in saying no or telling the parent” about a problem."

Comment

Let's open some more eyes....

"By the time you finish reading this, 15 children will have been abused; In the next 5 minutes, 30 more; Within the next hour, 360 more: And by tonight, close to 8,000+ children will have suffered from abuse, 5 of which will die. Child abuse has increased 134% since 1980 and is now considered a worldwide epidemic. The high jump in child abuse deaths and the shocking increase in statistics highlight the frightening lack of public knowledge. Educate Yourself-- Lean the Facts--- In may Just Save a Child's Life!"

Please, don't turn a blind eye. Step up, say something, and let's makes a change!!!

Comment

Message I just got - "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ebsoria again."

Keep being a hero EB.
                          Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                          FF is awesome!

Comment

Thanks for all the information and stats Eb. This is really eye opening stuff. I knew it was a big problem but had no idea how widespread and bad it is until reading a lot of this. Also sorry to hear some of the stuff you and Peanut had to go through. But it's awesome that you both were able to come out as great people in spite of it.

Fortunately I grew up in a very sheltered home with two loving parents and never experienced any abuse. However I have a cousin who was not so fortunate. She was already in a wheelchair permantly though I can't remember for what now. I haven't talked to anyone in my Uncles family in years. But on top of what she already had to suffer through we came to find out that my uncle was abusing her sexually all the time. The only reason anyone even found out is because he eventually felt guilty enough to turn himself into the cops. Very fortunate because there is no telling how much more she would've had to endure if he hadn't. And she fits into that 80% stat of having a direct family member, her father, be the perp.

My Uncle spent 15 years in prison and actually got out this past May. Growing up before this incident he was everyone's favorite uncle. Me and my siblings and my Aunts kids all looked up to him a ton. Things have changed a lot from this though. I kept in touch with him initially but by the time I finished High school I lost contact. I now have a 10 month old of my own and it has now really really hit me much more what my family member has done. It hits more close to home now.

It's always tough turning your back on family but my wife and I have decided that we have 0 intention of ever letting him come in contact with or meeting our son. I actually haven't discussed this with my dad yet but I would assume he would understand completely. My brothers and sisters have said the same thing when it comes time for them to have children.

The really annoying thing is my cousin is gay. He wrote our uncle before he was released and told him. My uncles response: Being gay is a very evil sin. What???? Being gay is not a crime. He has no place judging my cousin after what he has done. But just more reason that I don't want him in my sons life.

So I haven't had personal experiences myself but I have every intention of raising my son right and protecting him at all cost from things like this. What I really need to remember is your advice on how to handle it if someday this happens to him at school or somewhere else. I know I would have a tough time holding my temper in.

I really hope awareness of this issue continues to grow though so that hopefully one day it will stop. Children do not deserve any of this.
                            sigpic

Comment

Keep doin your thing eb, and everyone else who has a worthy mission. I fully appreciate the need to give our young ones every opportunity to live a normal life.

I have been a bit of an advocate for helping the older folks, because I had the sometimes challenging task of being the main support for my parents in their later years. I saw and experienced a lot of sad things, and even though it's been a while now since each of them has passed, I still wish I could have done more. They don't want to be old and sick, and in pain. It woke me up to the "last part of life".

But again, we do have to take care of the children, and see to it that their journey is a fair and optimistic one. So keep it up folks....and if you have some time after all of that, try to lend a hand to some older folks, who just want to be comfortable and not forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                                Thanks for all the information and stats Eb. This is really eye opening stuff. I knew it was a big problem but had no idea how widespread and bad it is until reading a lot of this. Also sorry to hear some of the stuff you and Peanut had to go through. But it's awesome that you both were able to come out as great people in spite of it.

Fortunately I grew up in a very sheltered home with two loving parents and never experienced any abuse. However I have a cousin who was not so fortunate. She was already in a wheelchair permantly though I can't remember for what now. I haven't talked to anyone in my Uncles family in years. But on top of what she already had to suffer through we came to find out that my uncle was abusing her sexually all the time. The only reason anyone even found out is because he eventually felt guilty enough to turn himself into the cops. Very fortunate because there is no telling how much more she would've had to endure if he hadn't. And she fits into that 80% stat of having a direct family member, her father, be the perp.

My Uncle spent 15 years in prison and actually got out this past May. Growing up before this incident he was everyone's favorite uncle. Me and my siblings and my Aunts kids all looked up to him a ton. Things have changed a lot from this though. I kept in touch with him initially but by the time I finished High school I lost contact. I now have a 10 month old of my own and it has now really really hit me much more what my family member has done. It hits more close to home now.

It's always tough turning your back on family but my wife and I have decided that we have 0 intention of ever letting him come in contact with or meeting our son. I actually haven't discussed this with my dad yet but I would assume he would understand completely. My brothers and sisters have said the same thing when it comes time for them to have children.

The really annoying thing is my cousin is gay. He wrote our uncle before he was released and told him. My uncles response: Being gay is a very evil sin. What???? Being gay is not a crime. He has no place judging my cousin after what he has done. But just more reason that I don't want him in my sons life.

So I haven't had personal experiences myself but I have every intention of raising my son right and protecting him at all cost from things like this. What I really need to remember is your advice on how to handle it if someday this happens to him at school or somewhere else. I know I would have a tough time holding my temper in.

I really hope awareness of this issue continues to grow though so that hopefully one day it will stop. Children do not deserve any of this.
                                I am so sorry to hear she went through that. Thank you for sharing. Yes, be there for your little one.

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                                Keep doin your thing eb, and everyone else who has a worthy mission. I fully appreciate the need to give our young ones every opportunity to live a normal life.

I have been a bit of an advocate for helping the older folks, because I had the sometimes challenging task of being the main support for my parents in their later years. I saw and experienced a lot of sad things, and even though it's been a while now since each of them has passed, I still wish I could have done more. They don't want to be old and sick, and in pain. It woke me up to the "last part of life".

But again, we do have to take care of the children, and see to it that their journey is a fair and optimistic one. So keep it up folks....and if you have some time after all of that, try to lend a hand to some older folks, who just want to be comfortable and not forgotten.
                                Heya, Can!! Elder abuse is just as bad and sickening to me. It's always a horror story when you hear about the abuses they endure as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X