Scientists see 'endgame' for subatomic quest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists see 'endgame' for subatomic quest

Ok so I came across this article and thought it was pretty interesting but I don't do good with scientific mumbo jumbo so can someone put it into simpler words for me?

Like in 2nd or 3d grade form thanks. JK I do somewhat get it but I know there are some really smart guys on here who can make more sense of it.

Physicists investigating the makeup of the universe say they are closing in on the long-sought but elusive Higgs boson, a particle they believe was key to turning debris from the big bang into stars, planets and finally life.

The researchers spoke after the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois, also known as Fermilab, reported that it had spotted likely signs of the particle. Europe's CERN research center saw similar signals late last year.

"The endgame is approaching in the hunt for the Higgs boson," said Jim Siegrist, associate director for High Energy Physics at the Department of Energy in Washington, which oversees Fermilab operations.

"It is good to see all the signs lining up," said CERN spokesman James Gillies, while Oliver Buechmueller of the center's CMS experiment said: "It seems we are getting closer and closer ... this summer is going to be very hot."

But they all insisted it was much too early to claim a formal discovery, which would fill in the last major gap in the so-called Standard Model of particle physics that has underpinned science's view of the cosmos for 40 years.

Existence of the boson, and its linked particle field, was posited in 1964 by British physicist Peter Higgs, who argued that a mechanism must exist to turn matter into mass after the primeval explosion that created the universe 13.7 billion years ago.

The search began in earnest only in the 1980s, first in Fermilab's Tevatron particle collider and later in a similar machine at CERN, but most intensively since 2010 with the start-up of the European center's Large Hadron Collider.

FULL ARTICLE HERE : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46654588...1#.T1huMnmP-PR
    Now go get your shine box

Standard Model: theory of what the universe is made of and what holds it together. Talks about stuff down to the size of electrons and quarks.

Higgs Field: Explains why some particles have a large amount of mass, some have little, and some have none. Particles that interacts more with the Higgs Field, have more mass. Top quarks and electrons are the same size, but top quarks have a lot more mass because they interact with the Higgs Field more. Think of different shaped fish and water, where the water is the Higgs Field.

Higgs Boson: "The God Particle". Smallest part of the Higgs Field. Think of it like H2O molecules (Higgs Boson) making up water (Higgs Field). The moniker was given by the media and doesn't explain stuff like gravity or the actual origin of the universe.

All of this is theory for understanding the structure of matter, and is one of the things CERN, and other places, is testing.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
      Standard Model: theory of what the universe is made of and what holds it together. Talks about stuff down to the size of electrons and quarks.

Higgs Field: Explains why some particles have a large amount of mass, some have little, and some have none. Particles that interacts more with the Higgs Field, have more mass. Top quarks and electrons are the same size, but top quarks have a lot more mass because they interact with the Higgs Field more. Think of different shaped fish and water, where the water is the Higgs Field.

Higgs Boson: "The God Particle". Smallest part of the Higgs Field. Think of it like H2O molecules (Higgs Boson) making up water (Higgs Field). The moniker was given by the media and doesn't explain stuff like gravity or the actual origin of the universe.

All of this is theory for understanding the structure of matter, and is one of the things CERN, and other places, is testing.
      Thanks.

But I forgot to ask..

What can they do with it when they get it? Besides study it of course.
      Now go get your shine box

Comment

Originally posted by jc13 View Post
        Thanks.

But I forgot to ask..

What can they do with it when they get it? Besides study it of course.
        I don't think there is really any purpose of it other than to prove the Standard Theory.

I guess they would just know on what basis to work on in future theories and such, but I have no clue.

Comment

mmmmmmmmmm god particle.

have you seen angels and demons (da vinci code 2)

pretty much that is what is going to happen.

Comment

Working...
          X