Interesting knowledge from your profession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting knowledge from your profession

Saw this on another forum and it was a great thread: What sort of knowledge do you have that may not be commonly known to the general populace due to work duties?

I am a forester so there isn't a lot of really shocking news to the public, but I can say I have seen first hand how one spotted owl bird has cost the public a few hundred thousand dollars to attempt to preserve. These guys get expensive fast when you start throwing out timber sales that are already marked up for removal.

Eco activists try to "preserve" a lot of US forests... when successful they aim to designate habitat for endangered species to go sort of un-managed. Well, when the wood demand is not met with our (USA) own timber supply, we import from other countries without such strong government regulation... this often results in the removal of exotic rain forests and sensitive habitat over seas. Forestry should be left to the professionals and practiced as a crop. Think of production trees as a very large tomatoes to a farmer.

Currently the Fish and Wildlife service are testing treatments to preserve the spotted owl's habitat by removing another competing species of owl via shotgun treatment. Read up on it here: http://earthfix.kcts9.org/flora-and-...d-owl-habitat/

Really interesting stuff...
    Last edited by Zealander; 04-02-2012, 12:03 AM.

Approximately 22% of the children in the US live in poverty.

Just over 20% of households with children reported food insecurity compared to just under 12% of households without children.
    Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
    FF is awesome!

Comment

I truly know what pressing the red button will do.
      Adopted Poster
      AZ Snake Fan

Comment

milk can be at room temperature for 7 hours before it expires.
        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
        Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

It snows in warehouse freezers.
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

People return a crapload of stuff to Wal-Mart.

Comment

women never ever look as good in person as they do on TV or in Magazines. Make-Up, Spanx and Photoshop make a world of difference.
              Family, country, rugby, football

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Comment

Illegal income is taxable, and is required to be reported on a tax return.

Comment

This aint no secret but people live in forclosed homes months after they have been forclosed on. Actually kinda sad to see all the kids toys in the yard when they are technically homeless.

Comment

sudo apt-get install (a ton of free fun, and productivity software)

Comment

The PaperPro stapler is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
                        sudo apt-get install (a ton of free fun, and productivity software)
                        I sudo a whole lot in my spare time.
                        Adopted Poster
                        AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Medicare will not cover the cost of cataract surgery unless you are unable to read the top line of this eye chart...... WITH CORRECTIVE LENSES.

sigpic
                          2014 Adopted Bronco: Juwan Thompson

Comment

Most old people that die in their homes do it on the toilet....

True story
                            sigpic

Comment

JHA is not a fool-proof system created by OSHA.

Furthermore, a JHA analysis is a pain in the ass!!!
                              Last edited by getlynched47; 03-30-2012, 08:40 PM.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X