Question for Jersey (or anyone else)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Jersey (or anyone else)

Have you been to Times Square for New Year's? What's it like? Is it absolutely insane? Or is it overrated? I'm curious because some friends of mine are planning a trip up there and I want to know if it's worth shelling out the cash for it.
    sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

It is completely insane, I was lucky enough to experience it New Years 96. My favorite part is you see groups for all different nationalities and creed celebrating in their own way. Not to mention all the beautiful people you see. It was a definate experience. I probably won't do it again, but I certainly recommend doing once if you have the opportunity.

Comment

well, i kinda think it's overrated...i guess it's something to see, but your basically like cattle, everybody is put into certain sections, and you can't leave to go to the bathroom, and there is no alcohol allowed.
      If your in NYC and you want to have some fun, i would suggest going downtown and checking out the scenes.
      There's always lots of beautiful women in nyc, regardless of the time or date, so don't worry about that too much

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

Originally posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
        well, i kinda think it's overrated...i guess it's something to see, but your basically like cattle, everybody is put into certain sections, and you can't leave to go to the bathroom, and there is no alcohol allowed.
        If your in NYC and you want to have some fun, i would suggest going downtown and checking out the scenes.
        There's always lots of beautiful women in nyc, regardless of the time or date, so don't worry about that too much
        How many times have you been to New Year's on Times Square, Jersey? Reading what SC said, it may be a good one time experience. But you sound jaded when you describe it.

I honestly don't know if I'll go or not. I'm still debating.
        sigpic

Comment

I've gone once to times square, but i go into the city almost every year.
          I suppose when it comes down to it, Times square is certainly the touristy thing to do, but if you want to just have a great time partying, then downtown is the answer.
          Will this be with friends, or family?
          i think with friends = downtown
          family= times square.

"The Gagne T-shirt jersey comes with a complimentary can of gasoline and a set of matches."

Comment

I've gone once to times square, but i go into the city almost every year.
            I suppose when it comes down to it, Times square is certainly the touristy thing to do, but if you want to just have a great time partying, then downtown is the answer.
            Will this be with friends, or family?
            i think with friends = downtown
            family= times square.
            I'll be with friends if I go. No way could I get tore up if I went with my fam. Thanks for the input, though. You too, SC.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Broncos
              I'll be with friends if I go. No way could I get tore up if I went with my fam. Thanks for the input, though. You too, SC.
              That's the thing though. if you go to times square with friends, you won't be able to get torn up either. The whole area is completely alchohol free, and while you might pre-game, you'll be sober by the time the ball drops i would think.
              I don't know if you read 'Stuff' or not, the new issue has a list of top ten and worst ten places to go for new years, downtown nyc made the top ten, and times square made the ten worst...i'm gonna type of what it says when i get a chance, let you judge for yourself.

Comment

I have done it, but it was back in 1992, and I think a lot of the rules have changed since then. It was a good experience, but I agree it is something you'd only do once. Everyone is crammed together, and that whole "body-heat" thing does not apply. It's friggin cold!

When I went, I drank from my flask (and people were MORE than willing to refill it for me) all night, and no-one said anything. Of course, we were not causing a ruckus, nor attracting any attention to ourselves, which may have been part of why they left us alone.

There were also no women in our little circle, so peeing was not a problem as long as everyone you're with has no problem with sticky shoes.

If you really want to do it, my suggestion would be to go downtown to do your boozing & hanging. Then cram your way in to a circle at about a half-hour before midnight, then get the hell out of there within a minute after the ball drops or else you will never get out of there and there will not be an empty seat in any bar for 25 square blocks.

Comment

That's the thing though. if you go to times square with friends, you won't be able to get torn up either. The whole area is completely alchohol free, and while you might pre-game, you'll be sober by the time the ball drops i would think.
                  I don't know if you read 'Stuff' or not, the new issue has a list of top ten and worst ten places to go for new years, downtown nyc made the top ten, and times square made the ten worst...i'm gonna type of what it says when i get a chance, let you judge for yourself.
                  Cool. Looking forward to it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hey Jersey, you get a chance to type that article yet?
                    sigpic

Comment

no...i forgot the magazine at home...i'll type it up when i get home in like 30.

Comment

Times Square, NYC
                        Each year, thousands of people pack the square and later try to convince themselves that it was awesome. There is zero tolerance for boozing, so plan on being cold, sober, or busted. Former mayor Rudy Giuliani eradicated most of the crime in the area. And the fun.

Downtown, NYC
                        Skip the Times Square insanity and go downtown, where the tragically hip hold court. Check out celebrity hangout Marquee or head to nearby Ruby Falls, an intimate 5,000 square foot club that offers an open bar, munchies and servers in lingerie, all for $125.00. Past New Years spinners have included Johnny Knoxville, Mark Ronson, and Disciple. Ruby Falls' numerous well-placed bars allow to actually get a drink there this year alongside celebrities like P. Diddy, Ludacris, and both Neve and Naomi Campbell (The family resemblance is uncanny!)
                        Stumble back to the Maritime Hotel (themaritimehotel.com), which is located on the edge of the meatpacking district and achieves that asian submarine ambiance with porthole windows, sake in the minibars and Matsuri, the city's hottest sushi bar.

Comment

Working...
                        X