Elders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Foez View Post
    On the 6th I went to Florida to visit my Grandpa. He just turned 90 a few days ago but saying as how I haven't seen him in a good 11 or 12 years it was my first real chance to get to know him as a man and show him the kind of man I am because I had just turned 27. He was a good man and lived a hell of a life including fighting in WW2, being a leather head, and building a house for his family himself. I'm thankful I got to see him and talk to him one last time and it was fun. With my mom and all my aunts and uncles talking about all the memories and blah blah blah me and him were discussing sports. Walking into his "apartment" the first thing I noticed was he wrote down a list of baseball games he wanted to watch that day. I respect the hell out of the man and no doubt when ultimate comes he will be in a much better place. One of my favorite memories will forever be him showing me pictures of his unit in WW2 and pictures of when he played semi pro football as a leatherhead.
    Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
    Wow Can, you never cease to amaze me with the threads you make. My best friend lost his grandfather tonight to an ongoing battle with cancer and respiratory problems. We sat around for a few hours tonight getting drunk and reminiscing about the old fart. He was still so sharp and had a wealth of things to share with us every time we went in to see him. It really made me appreciate my own grandfather and at the same time made me feel horrible because I definitely don't spend enough time with him and my gram.

I'm not going to let myself take the little time they have left for granted. Pap always has some crazy summer project going on and I can't wait to help him work on them and spend the time. We built a really funny overly-elaborate bird feeder last year complete with squirrel and bear protection. He's definitely the person I think I get most of my creativity from. Can't wait to see what we get into this year. Thanks Can.
    Thx for sharing guys!

:thumb::thumb:

Comment

Just some words of advice to consider, if your folks are getting older.......

Where I live, in a place that has decent care from my perspective, it is still a tricky process once you need to move your folks/loved ones to a care facility. Unless you are extremely wealthy, it is likely that you will be given limited choice as to where you want your loved ones to be taken care of. In fact, you will be lucky to get a place you like or one that is close to you. And if you intend on visiting regularly, it can become very time-consuming.

But worse, you could end up in a facility that is quite depressing. Your parent for example may be much sharper than most of the others there, which can be difficult. And due to certain illness, the poor folks are very hard to live around. It is very sad and very unappealing for those who must stay nearby.

It was a tough pill to swallow, and in time one gets more used to it. And to some extent, a number of care folks seem to have lost their interest in helping others. Not all of them, but some for sure. Plus some of the doctors involved need to be held in check when it comes to the drugs they prescribe for your loved ones. It is a very complex and sometimes worrisome environment. Do not trust and believe in everything that some of these folks tell you. You must be attentive.

Not trying to be a voice of despair. There are plenty of good facilities and care givers. But don't assume that all is perfect. Get involved.

Please.......I've seen some of this, and have heard a lot more. It's in your best interest to ask questions and expect honest, in depth answers.
      Last edited by CanDB; 05-02-2012, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Wonderful thread.

I have two grandmothers going strong today; one is 84 and the other is 91. I try to talk to them at least once a week (primarily a quick phone call) just to say hello while spewing a little information about my life.

They like that sort of thing; whether its your grandparents or not. Elders LOVE the young generation, they get a kick out of our stories and lifestyle.

Honor and respect your elders. Don't just show, but PROVIDE interest. Because in the future (and the future does come fast), you will be one of them.
        Last edited by Peerless; 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM.

Comment

The thread made think about my 'elders' . While I did not have much time on my hand when my grand ma was 'going away' I always tought I could have visited more...One of my few remorses in the life I have I guess.
          It's less of a remorse for my grand pa (never knew the other) because he was sinking in Alzheimer's deasease I could not bare to be there talking to him when he could not even remember who I was (and who he was) every time I got out depressed and Emo about it...So one day I choose to stop going there (explained why to my family wich they understood) and keep all the great moments and memories I had with him in my heart and leave them as they were great old memories of my grand pa / godfather....

Great now my eyes are all wet...thanks for nothing Dave! (insert coughed up laughter)
          Last edited by Louich; 05-03-2012, 09:30 AM.
          :logo:Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7:logo:

Adopted Broncos:
          -:Mr. Decker:-

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
            Wonderful thread.

I have two grandmothers going strong today; one is 84 and the other is 91. I try to talk to them at least once a week (primarily a quick phone call) just to say hello while spewing a little information about my life.

They like that sort of thing; whether its your grandparents or not. Elders LOVE the young generation, they get a kick out of our stories and lifestyle.

Honor and respect your elders. Don't just show, but PROVIDE interest. Because in the future (and the future does come fast), you will be one of them.
            So true Brent......and you know more about the healthcare world than I.

But I am proud to say that one of my kids is in the healthcare world, and really cares about her "clients". However you can tell that some of the other folks there have lost their drive, or been worn down by the system, or just flat out shouldn't be in that profession to begin with.

But yes, time can fly by very quickly, and one day we will wake up and realize we are there ourselves, and it would be a real sad thing if few people took the time to care about us then.

Originally posted by Louich View Post
            The thread made think about my 'elders' . While I did not have much time on my hand when my grand ma was 'going away' I always tought I could have visited more...One of my few remorses in the life I have I guess.
            It's less of a remorse for my grand pa (never knew the other) because he was sinking in Alzheimer's deasease I could not bare to be there talking to him when he could not even remember who I was (and who he was) every time I got out depressed and Emo about it...So one day I choose to stop going there (explained why to my family wich they understood) and keep all the great moments and memories I had with him in my heart and leave them as they were great old memories of my grand pa / godfather....

Great now my eyes are all wet...thanks for nothing Dave! (insert coughed up laughter)
            It is not an easy thing to deal with.......and your emotion is fully understood!

Comment

Seniors can be expensive.......when my Mother went to the hospital she stopped wearing her false teeth, and then one day we couldn't find the top plate. After much searching, we decided to have another plate made for her. About a year later we found her old plate in a pocket somewhere.

She didn't want to wear the new plate either!

Comment

World Elder Abuse Awareness Day - June 15th

I just learned about "World Elder Abuse Awareness Day" which is held annually on June 15th. Hopefully you folks will join me in paying respects that day.

Comment

Working...
                X