College Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Advice

Okay guys, i'm considering making some small changes to my major next semester. I can stay a History major and take a bunch of history classes with a 2 semester Spanish requirement; or I can be a general Social Studies major, not have to take Spanish, and take less history classes with political science, sociology, geography, etc instead. It'd still be a focus in history obviously, but with some different stuff thrown in

My school has a slim selection when it comes to variety of courses in the history department. I want variety, so I lean towards a Social Science major. I suppose I just need validation.

Your answer will determine what classes I take next semester and thus determine whether I become a bum or an American hero.

I think i'm going to take a semester of Spanish anyway because I would like to learn it and it might be beneficial in the future. I figure there are enough wise people on this forum to tell me what the pros and cons and differences are between Soc Science and History.

School is for fools... don't put yourself thousands of dollars in debt or payment to obtain a degree that won't take you the places you truly want to go.

Comment

Take Mandarin. You're gonna need it.
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        BS!!! This is the kind of BS attitude around here! Never quit and never surrender. English is the business language of the world! USA!!!

USA!!!

USA!!!

BOOO THIS MAN!!!

Comment

Do the social science if you really want to. I'd also suggest you take 2 semesters of Spanish or whatever foreign language anyways because that will always look good.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
            Do the social science if you really want to. I'd also suggest you take 2 semesters of Spanish or whatever foreign language anyways because that will always look good.
            You can obtain an equivalent of a social science degree by traveling the world, speaking with many people, maintaining an inquisitive mind and save a grip of cash in the process. Social studies at university are mostly BS. Read a few books...

Comment

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
              You can obtain an equivalent of a social science degree by traveling the world, speaking with many people, maintaining an inquisitive mind and save a grip of cash in the process. Social studies at university are mostly BS. Read a few books...
              How does one save a grip of cash when traveling the world? That would probably cost a lot more than college.

I'm also not the one to say what one person wants to do in life bs either. And I don't understand why you want him to quit college and such. It's his life so let him do what he wants.

Comment

What are your goals for after college? Why did you choose History or Social Sciences? Are you planning on being a teacher or professor? If not any of those than those classes and focuses sadly won't do you much good in the real world.

The Sociology would be the most usable thing you could focus on that would get you anywhere after college. At least there are a few different fields you could get in to there.

Cory is right though, with the way the world economy and world business works, learning languages of the countries that will be in the most control would be helpful. Obviously Spanish is a given because of the demographic here in the States, and anymore, it would help you get a job more than if you only know English.

It sucks that there's such a negative vibe about college these days, but that's the honest truth. You can't get a great paying job as easily anymore with a Bachelor's Degree the way you used to. It's the new HS Diploma. You need a Masters or higher to get any looks really.

Take it from a guy with a Comm degree working somewhere that doesn't even require a diploma for it's management staff.
                sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                  Absolutely. There are an increase in large school divisions dropping French to add Mandarin.

Spanish and bi-lingual would be great for you comIng out of school! Always looking for a bilingual employee.

Good luck and hope your advisor is guiding you correctly.
                  sigpic
                  The Bronco fan pledge;
                  I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
                  I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
                  I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
                  I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
                  Bronco's Country.

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Comment

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
                    I don't really give a damn. Not to sound arrogant, but all of this stuff i'm going to college for is stuff that i've been doing and learning on my own the past 4 years. If I already know the stuff, why not go and get a degree to prove that I know the stuff.

I have a feeling that what you do in college is mostly irrelevant. That you have a college degree is more important than what you have a degree in. I've already accepted that all of the things that i'm interested in are mostly bull****. I don't care, my thoughts going in to college were always "i'm going to go in and study something I like and worry about the rest later."

Originally posted by RealBronco
                    What are your goals for after college? Why did you choose History or Social Sciences? Are you planning on being a teacher or professor? If not any of those than those classes and focuses sadly won't do you much good in the real world.

The Sociology would be the most usable thing you could focus on that would get you anywhere after college. At least there are a few different fields you could get in to there.

Cory is right though, with the way the world economy and world business works, learning languages of the countries that will be in the most control would be helpful. Obviously Spanish is a given because of the demographic here in the States, and anymore, it would help you get a job more than if you only know English.

It sucks that there's such a negative vibe about college these days, but that's the honest truth. You can't get a great paying job as easily anymore with a Bachelor's Degree the way you used to. It's the new HS Diploma. You need a Masters or higher to get any looks really.

Take it from a guy with a Comm degree working somewhere that doesn't even require a diploma for it's management staff.
                    I really just want to be a writer of sorts, which is pretty much a self-made profession anyway. Teaching is my backup plan at the moment.

I dig what you're saying though, i'm only going to college to get the degree so I can get considerations for jobs that aren't awful. I think it was Ray Bradbury who said something to the effect of "if I wanted to learn, i'd go to the library."

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                      How does one save a grip of cash when traveling the world? That would probably cost a lot more than college.

I'm also not the one to say what one person wants to do in life bs either. And I don't understand why you want him to quit college and such. It's his life so let him do what he wants.
                      The cost of attending university is insane. Compared to what a capable fellow can achieve traveling, you would save a ton of money in living expense when considered the same allotment of time to attend University. Traveling the world, meeting other cultures and understanding tolerance for foreign values is one of the most powerful known ways to inform an individual on worldly principle... such as a degree in sociology or history. He could also take a job at a career option that he's passionate and start like his fathers before him... at the bottom. Work your way up. Then you don't need to be up to your eyeballs in debt.

I have a grip of friends who got those sort of degrees that, "doesn't really matter to work experience, I just have a degree." It doesn't help you get a job, and you spent at least $40,000 dollars to obtain it (many universities charge this price per YEAR). If you're going to school, get a degree that you know will help you succeed in your goals. In the work force, life experiences trump college education at a lot of levels. It's not going to be fun getting a job irrelevant to your education when you have bills to pay off loans for five years.

He came for advice, I'm not really telling him to quit college. I'm saying don't waste significant time and money to something that "won't really matter" to you. I am just the proponent of weighing your options, I know that the college route can really be tough on a lot of people if intentions are not clear. It's more difficult because it's the American standard these days, you should "go to college" and get an education, but if you aren't there to better prepare yourself for the future it's not wise in my opinion. Maybe he is so fortunate to be in a position where he has a provider for tuition and living expense, whom greatly desires he obtain SOME sort of degree... in that case go to college party hard and have a fun time.

RealBronco has asked the OP some good questions.
                      Last edited by Zealander; 04-24-2012, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post
                        I don't really give a damn. Not to sound arrogant, but all of this stuff i'm going to college for is stuff that i've been doing and learning on my own the past 4 years. If I already know the stuff, why not go and get a degree to prove that I know the stuff.

I have a feeling that what you do in college is mostly irrelevant. That you have a college degree is more important than what you have a degree in. I've already accepted that all of the things that i'm interested in are mostly bull****. I don't care, my thoughts going in to college were always "i'm going to go in and study something I like and worry about the rest later."

I really just want to be a writer of sorts, which is pretty much a self-made profession anyway. Teaching is my backup plan at the moment.

I dig what you're saying though, i'm only going to college to get the degree so I can get considerations for jobs that aren't awful. I think it was Ray Bradbury who said something to the effect of "if I wanted to learn, i'd go to the library."
                        I think it'd be way awesome to be a writer. Today I think it's a bit easier as far as the rise in avenues of publication etc.

Maybe then you might want to look into more writing classes etc., but it depends on what you want to write about. IF possible it wouldn't hurt to have that Masters in something relevant anyway. A writer with a Masters in something can't hurt.

My buddy has published two novels in the span of like a year now and they are both up on Amazon's Kindle sites. He has gotten a pretty significant amount of downloads considering no one really knows who he is and he doesn't have a publisher or an agent. His trick is putting it up for Free for like a 24 hour period here or 48 hours there and then tons of people download it and tell their friends etc.

That is definitely the angle I would/will take if I ever finish any of my writing projects. Even if you have to basically give your first few projects away for scrap, it gets your name out there. With tablets and the change in how we read literature, magazines and novels these days, it will be as easy to "publish" a story or novel as it has become to make your own videos, movies and music.

Whatever the course, just keep at it. When you choose a profession that is near impossible to get into and make a decent living, that's the only way to go.
                        sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post

Does not sound arrogant a bit... I don't know what would be the wiser decision for you in terms of social studies and history. Spanish however, goes well with some sort of international relations study. Communications degrees are applicable to about any industry out there, and can be good if you are pursing writing. MBA programs and business relations are good for those sorts of general purposes and solidifying skills for the general work environment.

Comment

If I were you I'd take courses that would support whatever you are going to do afterward.......as in teaching / writing. I would just make sure that you meet the requirements for those "next steps". That way you can take courses you enjoy, expand your intellectual horizons and all the while feel confortable knowing you are building in the right direction.

Comment

My only advice is don't do what I did, don't major in Graphic Design related stuff, and try not to do student loans.

Comment

Working...
                              X