Auto Repair Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Repair Advice?

Anybody here handy when it come to auto repairs?

I know my fair share of auto repairs, but this last one has me stumped.

My friends' Chrysler Concorde cooling fan stopped working today, and I was unable to help fix it.

The fan works when hooked to 12v, ruling out fan motors.

Temperature sensor changed. Thermostat changed.

I also replaced the fan relays to no avail. Total cost of parts was around $40, so he's a little mad that I made him buy those parts without the problem being fixed

Anyways, any ideas?

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Temperature sensor, is that the same as the temperature sending unit for the fan?
    Last edited by BroncoFanNC; 04-28-2012, 10:57 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanNC View Post
      Temperature sensor, is that the same as the temperature sending unit for the fan?
      Yes sir, it is. It's located right next to the thermostat.

sigpic

Comment

The only idea I have is google the problem and see what you can find. Everytime I have a problem, I google it and always find the answer.
        sigpic

Comment

No chrysler concord forum? (I'm suprised lol)
          :logo:Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7:logo:

Adopted Broncos:
          -:Mr. Decker:-

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
            Anybody here handy when it come to auto repairs?

I know my fair share of auto repairs, but this last one has me stumped.

My friends' Chrysler Concorde cooling fan stopped working today, and I was unable to help fix it.

The fan works when hooked to 12v, ruling out fan motors.

Temperature sensor changed. Thermostat changed.

I also replaced the fan relays to no avail. Total cost of parts was around $40, so he's a little mad that I made him buy those parts without the problem being fixed

Anyways, any ideas?
            I would get a volt meter and op check the wiring. Check for power to the fan, and work your way back to the relay, etc..

The only other thing I would consider, is bypassing the relay altogether, and routing the power straight to the ignition. The fan will run constantly, but whoopdey do. I mean, it's not a show car.

I'm sure if you trace the wiring with a volt meter, you'll find your problem though. Haynes manuals usually have wiring schematics. That would take away the guess work that goes along with removing the black plastic and electrical tape manufacturers are in love with these days.

Another thing to do is search the internet for common cooling fan problems for a Chrysler sedan that has the same motor as his. Such as an LHS, Sebring, or Intrepid. I know they used the same fan set up on numerous models.

OK, I'm out of gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
              I would get a volt meter and op check the wiring. Check for power to the fan, and work your way back to the relay, etc..

The only other thing I would consider, is bypassing the relay altogether, and routing the power straight to the ignition. The fan will run constantly, but whoopdey do. I mean, it's not a show car.

I'm sure if you trace the wiring with a volt meter, you'll find your problem though. Haynes manuals usually have wiring schematics. That would take away the guess work that goes along with removing the black plastic and electrical tape manufacturers are in love with these days.

Another thing to do is search the internet for common cooling fan problems for a Chrysler sedan that has the same motor as his. Such as an LHS, Sebring, or Intrepid. I know they used the same fan set up on numerous models.

OK, I'm out of gas.
              Is it difficult to route the fan straight to the ignition?

I'll look at some electrical diagrams, but I've never bypassed a relay to fix a fan.

It seems like a good fix, though. Any help is greatly appreciated.

sigpic

Comment

Is it difficult to route the fan straight to the ignition?

I'll look at some electrical diagrams, but I've never bypassed a relay to fix a fan.

It seems like a good fix, though. Any help is greatly appreciated.
                Anywhere you can tap into 12vdc with the key on. Preferably w/o splicing any wires.

Before you do that though, I would double check the fuse panel diagram to make sure the cooling fan fuses are good. There can be two different fuses sending power to two different relays. High and low fan speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Spice 1 View Post
                  Anywhere you can tap into 12vdc with the key on. Preferably w/o splicing any wires.

Before you do that though, I would double check the fuse panel diagram to make sure the cooling fan fuses are good. There can be two different fuses sending power to two different relays. High and low fan speed.
                  I replaced both fan relays (high and low) and also checked the fuse without any success.

If I bypass the relay, will I screw up the computer? I want to let my friend know whether he'll have a Check Engine light at all times if I go that route.

sigpic

Comment

I replaced both fan relays (high and low) and also checked the fuse without any success.

If I bypass the relay, will I screw up the computer? I want to let my friend know whether he'll have a Check Engine light at all times if I go that route.
                    It shouldn't effect the ECM, but I can't say for sure. I did a little looking for schematics online, and didn't find jack. I still think your best bet is to get ahold of a volt meter, and op check the circuit.

Comment

Chrysler schematics/confusing to me lol.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...ler+schematics

http://en.allexperts.com/sitesearch....air-807&sdn=en

Comment

Probably has something to do with the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Brancos View Post
                          For some reason, I doubt that.
                          *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                          *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                          *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by Brancos View Post
                            I figured it had something to do with the real tire

sigpic

Comment

Have you gone over the wires? if you have a cut wire or a badly corroded wire relays wont matter. Also check the grounds if you have a bad ground connection you wont complete the circuit and wont get any power.
                              sigpic
                              BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

Working...
                              X