Children, can't live through them; can't live without them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oilersfan34 View Post

I have 2 boys, 11 and 9 and this is their first year in rugby. I am coaching my oldest's team and enjoying the hell out of it.

This weekend was our first real match and my boys (all of whom are 11-12) have to play U-13's and everyone one of them is a first year player, although my son has a good grasp of the game since he has seen me play since the he was about 3 months old. Unfortunately, our first match was against the defending champs and it showed. We got our butt whupped. That was the anguish part. But the joy part came from watching my boy play scrum half like a manimal and my entire team not quit, play hard and take the beating like men. I was really worried about a couple kids being intimdated and wanting to quit. So I gathered my boys up away from the parents and ask them what they thought. Everyone was jacked about the game and couldnt wait to play again. I was on cloud nine all day saturday and sunday!

Its interesting though because my younger son, who is usually the fastest and meanest kid on his team played lights out, scored 4 out of his teams 7 tries and didn't miss a tackle and yet I was still more impressed with my oldest. He is 11 weighs 83 lbs is about 5 ft tall and he took everything the other kids could give him and gave it back! He was easily the smallest kid on either team weight wise and he missed a good half-dozen tackles but he gave a mansized account of himself and as a dad thats all i can ask.

I must say I am having a much harder time not doing the vicarious thing during rugby than I ever was with FB or Baseball.
    Some talented boys you have there.
    My Son played on the wing for the North Wales side for quite a few years during his School Days.
    Good times

Comment

I must say I am having a much harder time not doing the vicarious thing during rugby than I ever was with FB or Baseball.
      For me it's soccer. That's the sport I grew up playing. I can be pretty calm watching them play any sport except soccer. Of course, as they age, it's getting a bit easier. For instance, my 14 year old is now a superior player compared to me. I can no longer picture myself doing what he can do with the ball on the field.
      Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
      FF is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
        For me it's soccer. That's the sport I grew up playing. I can be pretty calm watching them play any sport except soccer. Of course, as they age, it's getting a bit easier. For instance, my 14 year old is now a superior player compared to me. I can no longer picture myself doing what he can do with the ball on the field.
        Which soccer teams do your boys root for?

Comment

I have been a parent for almost 7 weeks now. I miss my sleep, my booze, my pot, being lazy, watching movies (uninterrupted), eating a meal (uninterrupted), my sex life...

HOWEVER, I love her smile, her cute feet, the sound of her farts (haha), the way she stares at me, the way she gazes into space during feedings, the way her mouth continues to move when I take away the bottle to burp her...and most importantly, I love her!

The roller coaster that was my life has been upgraded, it now has higher highs and lower lows.
          My other love...
          sigpic
          305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by Chronic_Toker View Post
            I have been a parent for almost 7 weeks now. I miss my sleep, my booze, my pot, being lazy, watching movies (uninterrupted), eating a meal (uninterrupted), my sex life...

HOWEVER, I love her smile, her cute feet, the sound of her farts (haha), the way she stares at me, the way she gazes into space during feedings, the way her mouth continues to move when I take away the bottle to burp her...and most importantly, I love her!

The roller coaster that was my life has been upgraded, it now has higher highs and lower lows.
            Just gets better CT. Make sure you get plenty of embarrasing photo's to hold over her head as punishment for when she is older.
            Family, country, rugby, football

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
              Some talented boys you have there.
              My Son played on the wing for the North Wales side for quite a few years during his School Days.
              Good times

Nice! The Welsh love their rugby. As far as talent my boys do pretty well. We tend to be a fast lot and they have gotten those genes. Although we tend to be on the thin side of things until mid-teens. I don't know why but its the way it is I guess.

My youngest is just a straight beast. I think he may be slightly off-kilter and at worse I worry that he might be insane. His own teamates have asked coaches to not have to go against him in hitting drills. I'm a tad under 6ft and 200-205 LBS and he is like 4'5 and 61lbs and he hits me so hard when we are wrestling it actually hurts. And when he gets mad? It's honey badger time. Last year he was hit by a pitcher twice in the same game and he charged the mound. The poor kid about crapped his pants and ran into the outfield with my kid hot on his butt looking to fight. My kid was 8 at the time. Insane.

My oldest is a good athelete but not extremely passionate. He likes playing but at the end of the day he gets that its just a game.

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                I think the thing that is hard about parenting is that you want your kids to learn overnight what took you years to understand. And even if you help them avoid mistakes, which is a good thing after all, sometimes they DO have to learn for themselves. So it's a catch 22 sometimes, wanting your kids to learn for themselves while wanting to help them bi pass a lot of steps along the way. There is a proper balance somewhere in between, but that is easier said than done.
                I am 23 with a close relationship with my dad. The dynamic you are talking about is fun to grow up to. My pop is a stern guy, and nowadays as a young man start really learn some of the things my dad knows, but he never really bothers to tell me. I am sure he sees it: there are things in life you have to experience first hand, you have to see things for oneself. Thing he did well in my opinion is always pushing into new things and working harder, until my own passions in life developed. Then he just kinda let me go and provides guidance when things get a little hectic... basically that means he brow beats when I'm overlooking things.

Stern SOB, sorta guy who will always gave me the idea you're not doing good enough... until he spills the beans in just a sentence or two to the tune of a different perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                  Which soccer teams do your boys root for?
                  Oldest follows Man U & Barca. Youngest loves Man U. Makes for some interesting banter in the old household since I'm a Chelsea supporter.

Of course, I think they're both more of fans of exciting players on those teams(Messi, Xavi, Rooney, Nani, etc.) than they are of specific teams so there's not too much drama around results.
                  FF is awesome!

Comment

My 14 year old son just finished 8th grade. His school's "promotion" ceremony was last night. It was wonderful to see him stand time & time again to be recognized for his academic achievements throughout his jr. high years. Straight A's all three years, High Honors, Presidential Scholar, Language Arts award recipient were all things he stood for.

What a blessing he is to us!
                    FF is awesome!

Comment

My 14 year old son just finished 8th grade. His school's "promotion" ceremony was last night. It was wonderful to see him stand time & time again to be recognized for his academic achievements throughout his jr. high years. Straight A's all three years, High Honors, Presidential Scholar, Language Arts award recipient were all things he stood for.

What a blessing he is to us!
                      Grats. But he clearly is being raised by great parents. The credit is yours I think.

Comment

Grats. But he clearly is being raised by great parents. The credit is yours I think.
                        Thanks for the kind words O34.
                        FF is awesome!

Comment

Oldest follows Man U & Barca. Youngest loves Man U. Makes for some interesting banter in the old household since I'm a Chelsea supporter.

Of course, I think they're both more of fans of exciting players on those teams(Messi, Xavi, Rooney, Nani, etc.) than they are of specific teams so there's not too much drama around results.
                          We're a mixed bag when it comes to teams as well.
                          Me i'm Liverpool, son is Aston Villa, Dad Man U, Sis Arsenal and Bro Everton!

Comment

A few pics from my son's 8th grade promotion Monday night
                            Happy family:

My son walking back to his seat after getting an award certificate:

My son (on right) & a good friend of his:
                            FF is awesome!

Comment

Im a father of twin girls (which they would be 16 in oct), as a parent its a life time job, and raiseing two @ the same time is never easy. but injoyed every minute of it! Threw out the years i learned some much about them and myself.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 350legend View Post
                                Im a father of twin girls (which they would be 16 in oct), as a parent its a life time job, and raiseing two @ the same time is never easy. but injoyed every minute of it! Threw out the years i learned some much about them and myself.
                                Oh boy I don't envy you mate!

Comment

Working...
                                X