There Are Times To Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Are Times To Refresh

Went on a small vacation, mostly to see one of the "kids". Had a really good time, taking in a number of activities, while catching up with our daughter. Decided to take a train back. Haven't ridden a train since I was a kid, and only a short trip. Though a bit crowded, and sleeping was a bit testy - given the smaller beds (bunk style), and the sometimes uneven ride, it was enjoyable in the end. Good food, some nice countryside to watch glide by, and the interesting aspect of meeting new folks, from different parts of the world.

I no longer have the number of interactive groups I once had (in younger days.....which included work, sports, clubs, voluntary stuff, and so on), but I still can hold my own in the department of "meeting folks". I always find that intriguing.......what makes people tick, and a little about how their lives took their specific journey......the so called train ride of their life. My Wife sometimes worries that I will talk a little too much, or joke around more than is warranted, but hey, that's what I do. She is quieter, and definitely more tactful......but I am what I am, and if nothing else, there will be fewer awkward pauses if I'm "on board".

And it's so cool, even at this point of our lives, that in the short period of time it takes to share a meal, we can bond with folks we've never met.......and I wonder if some of those interactions could have turned into lifelong friends. One couple sure fit that possibility, and it's a shame that we will likely never see them again.

But there's always next time, and it is refreshing to travel through beautiful, comforting scenery, sometimes in silence, and other times as if we were young people, eagerly becoming friends with perfect strangers.
    Last edited by CanDB; 05-31-2012, 08:12 AM.

When I want to refresh, I simply push 'F5'

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
      When I want to refresh, I simply push 'F5'
      You mean.......I've spent tons of money travelling, and all I had to do was............

(better you don't hear my exact words!!!)

Comment

I find spending time alone, maybe fishing or riding my motorcyle, something outdoorsy from time to time to be very refreshing. Same with spending time with my family.

It doesn't have to be elaborate or expensive. In fact, the more elaborate and expensive it is, often for me it may be fun, but it's not refreshing. I don't come home from a long vacation refreshed, usually I feel I need a vacation to recover!

Comment

I love my down time. I love my wife and daughter but some of the best, relaxing time I have is when I am off during the week and they are at work/school.

I can sit back, not answer the phone, and just do what I need to relax. Whether it be mow the lawn (riding one, easier) or taking my bike out or just sitting in the sun and looking at the mountains I can do that.

I find, like Dave said, as I get older the more I seem to need. By the time I am his age I will be a total recluse.

Now I gotta go try that F5 thing.....
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
            I love my down time. I love my wife and daughter but some of the best, relaxing time I have is when I am off during the week and they are at work/school.

I can sit back, not answer the phone, and just do what I need to relax. Whether it be mow the lawn (riding one, easier) or taking my bike out or just sitting in the sun and looking at the mountains I can do that.

I find, like Dave said, as I get older the more I seem to need. By the time I am his age I will be a total recluse.

Now I gotta go try that F5 thing.....
            plus you won't remember where you got to......

Comment

My vacation starts on June 11th, so I get to refresh myself in 12 days

Can't wait!

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Working...
              X