Post a Picture of Something Overrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
    Sorry, I probably shouldn't have assumed that, you're right. I don't know your expenses and I'm sure you're providing for your family the best way you know how. I was more just speaking in general.
    I figured so. I just know there are people out there that have more expenses than I do but don't have some of the toys that I do etc. and still live paycheck to paycheck.

It's not so much each individual thing, as much as it is a cumulative accounting of where you spend money, and changing how you do it. That $100 a month may not be a big deal as an individual thing, but if there were 5 or 6 individual things that could save you maybe $400 a month? Starts making a difference. What I did was write down every single thing I spent money on for the month, and I was pretty shocked. I was spending like $200 a month on going out to lunch or grabbing a soda at 7-11 when getting some gas etc. lol Just stupid stuff like that.
    Oh of course. I've done that before. I was so infuriated by how much money I spent on Coke or going out to lunch. Now, have I changed my ways? Not very much. This past week has been BAD. I know I don't have much left until next Friday, yet I kept going out to eat for lunch at work. $10 here, $8 there, etc. I knew I was doing it too, but just kept on at it.

One time I did what you did and I realized we had spent an extra $200-300 on eating out or getting "snack" foods etc. or even buying things we didn't need..."Oh I like this pair of shoes or that shirt...it's only $5.00"

Luckily, my buddy sent me his sweet little budgeting setup he made in Excel and I've been using that for a couple of years and it definitely helps.

As for the adding up savings: I did the math once, I really don't have much debt other than my Best Buy card (that's a guilty habit right there) and NOW my mortgage. Before my mortgage it was just that card. Honestly, there's not much on the card either, but when you only make $40.00 payments each time...it takes a while (which is what I'll most likely be spending that DirecTV money on once I cancel lol). Everything else is monthly utilities etc that you just can't get rid of. We don't have any car payments or anything like that.

But I added it up... "Okay, if i cancel the tv, our phones and paid off Best Buy...oh... i'd only be saving about $300.00/month....well that won't get me medical insurance anyway...screw it" So that's been my mentality, albeit a bad one. We could be using that $300 for MORE groceries etc or clothing for the kids, even though they have a ton.

I feel like i'm divulging way more than I should for an off-topic rant lol

Maybe others can relate though and now won't feel like they're alone. haha.

There's lots of people that barter. You can do this in part if you wanted. Might meet some interesting characters doing it too lol. And you don't even have to be a dirty free-lovin' hippy to do it!
    hahaha, i have no doubt. i don't think i'm any good at it though. i wouldn't end up with a Ferrari after trading a paperclip away like that one dude...
    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
      hahaha, i have no doubt. i don't think i'm any good at it though. i wouldn't end up with a Ferrari after trading a paperclip away like that one dude...
      Nah, I know what you mean, but I was talking about more like what you were in your "utopian no money world" with people trading services etc. One time the brother of a guy from work was having issues with his laptop, so he brought it over, I fixed it up for him and brought it back the next day (took me like a half hour), and he welded on a bunch of post pockets for my utility trailer so I could put panels on the sides. I priced it out at the trailer place and they wanted $200, I got it done for a half hour of my time. He got back his laptop that he was going to throw away, and have to spend a few hundred to replace, I got my post pockets for my trailer, and it cost us waaay less effort than had we needed to work hourly wages for the same result.

I barter like that whenever I can. Helps if you know how to do a lot of stuff lol
      sigpic

Comment

• http://www.google.com/imgres?q=title...r:3,s:33,i:255

Comment

• Title 9 is overrated?

How so?
          sigpic
          Adopted Broncos:
          EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
            Whatever floats your boat man. You don't have to convince me.

I do have a question though, how do you routinely get 50 mpg in an '03 Honda Civic Hybrid, that the EPA rated at 39 City and 43 Highway? Especially since, in 2008 the EPA got called out on the way they estimate fuel economy, and had to radically change the way they test, which resulted in fuel economy estimates for all cars to go down?

I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm dubious. lol

And that was nice that you were able to take advantage of the tax DEDUCTION (not credit), but as of '07 those went away for hybrids, so your scenario is no longer relevant.

Without help from the government, a hybrid car doesn't make any sense monetarily.
            I'm not a 'lead foot' driver. I have found that if I drive easy - not punching it when accelerating from a stop, cruising once I get to hwy speed, etc. - that I can raise my mpg pretty easily. I get 50-52 hwy/46-48 city. The nice thing about city driving in a hybrid is that at stops the engine itself stops running, so you aren't sitting at a light idling and getting 0 mpg.

I forget now which was which, fed or state, but one was a tax deduction and one was a credit. And yes, they did stop that benefit, but in '03 when I bought it, that was one of the criteria I used in my decision.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by HavoK471 View Post
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by SoundsOfSuccess View Post
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                  I am sure people will call me crazy but I actually prefer McDonalds coffee to starbucks.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie24 View Post
                    Bernie24
                    This message is hidden because Bernie24 is on your ignore list.
                    You and your towel are now dead to me.....
                    sigpic

Comment

• Wheel of time is WAAAAAAAAYYYY better!
                      sigpic

Comment

• sigpic
                        Adopted Broncos:
                        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern
                          sigpic
                          2014 Adopted Bronco: Juwan Thompson

Comment

• Originally posted by FLBroncFan View Post

Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern
                            Green Lantern in general sucks, the movie was born to suck.
                            sigpic
                            Adopted Broncos:
                            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post

Wheel of time is WAAAAAAAAYYYY better!
                              Ned Stark is not over-rated at alll
                              sigpic
                              2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

• Why oh why didnt I think of this sooner

sigpic