Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Negotiation Prices of a Brand New Car. Who Has Experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    Doing so would only save me like $3k-$4k, and I would have no idea whether the car was taken care of properly.
    I don't know what kind of car you have in mind, but you're kidding yourself and they've already screwed you over if you buy a new car.

You'll lose that 3-4k just driving it off the lot.

Most money experts will tell you that buying a new car is about the biggest waste of money you can make, but if you don't care, then there's tons of great advice to follow in this thread.

Comment

Maybe you could find someway to lie to them to get them to lower the price?
      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        Maybe you could find someway to lie to them to get them to lower the price?
        Throw mud on it and tell them it is used ?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
          Throw mud on it and tell them it is used ?
          Hey, if you're already experienced in stretching the truth, use that to your advantage!
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
            Hey, if you're already experienced in stretching the truth, use that to your advantage!

Haha I guess. I suck at negotiating things like that. My advice would be to bring a pal that loves to barter.....
            sigpic

Comment

If it helps, I just bought a used vehicle and talked the seller down 25% from his asking price.

Comment

They've tried that "put your initials on this offer so we know that you're serious" crap on me at a used car dealership once. I got pissed because the guy basically told me that he would not continue with negotiations until I signed the slip. I walked out after threatening him

Haha that's awesome! But you live in Erie according to your profile, I'm in Denver
                Dude. its 30 minutes away!
                Family, country, rugby, football

I posted in the epic Peyton's NeckBones thread and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!

Comment

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
                  I don't know what kind of car you have in mind, but you're kidding yourself and they've already screwed you over if you buy a new car.

You'll lose that 3-4k just driving it off the lot.

Most money experts will tell you that buying a new car is about the biggest waste of money you can make, but if you don't care, then there's tons of great advice to follow in this thread.
                  It's just a myth that driving a car off the lot makes it go down in value. Unless you drive it off the lot and 1000 miles back home. It's all about mileage (as long as the condition and car are new). A car with 50 miles on the lot is worth the same as a car with 50 miles off the lot.

And if you can afford it there is no reason not to buy a new car. It's not a waste of money especially if you are planning on keeping it for a long time. It doesn't make sense to look at a car as an investment. Most cars that are high production will never go up in value so it is better not to pay attention to how much it will be worth in a few years (unless you are buying a high end, limited production sports car). Plus your better off leasing if you only want to keep your car 1-3 years. I understand the whole idea is letting someone else take the depreciation but I think the advantages of having a new car out weigh the depreciation. You know how the car was driven, where it was driven, how well it was maintained, what has been replaced, how the car was used, and most of all the car hasn't been worn out by the time you get it (cracks in the interior, worn seats, worn suspension, worn transmission especially if it is manual).

If you can afford to buy a new car there is no reason not to. Yes you may save money buying a used car but you don't know how it was taken care of by the previous owner, especially if it is an economy car and you are planning on keeping it for a while and driving a lot. If buying new is not an option then used is fine if all the documentation is there and the car is in good condition.

There are some situations when used is better though. Mainly if you want a car that is no longer in production or you just want the "best" car for the amount of money spent. But if you are looking for an economy car to drive every day (and you can afford it) new is likely the best decision.

Comment

Yeah I cannot agree that buying a new car is a complete waste of money.

I understand the pro's and con's of buying a new car and buying a used car.

Personally, I'd rather buy a brand new car and keep up with the manufacturer-suggested maintenance schedule. Also, I know I'm not a crazy driver that will put excessive, unnecessary wear and tear on my engine/transmission.

I've been looking at used cars for well over 4 months now, and I find significant flaws with each car I've looked at.

Also, there's a lot of used cars that are selling for MORE than a brand new car (I just went to Rocky's Autos last week and left the dealership very pissed-off).

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Personally, I'd rather buy a brand new car and keep up with the manufacturer-suggested maintenance schedule. Also, I know I'm not a crazy driver that will put excessive, unnecessary wear and tear on my engine/transmission.

I've been looking at used cars for well over 4 months now, and I find significant flaws with each car I've looked at.

Also, there's a lot of used cars that are selling for MORE than a brand new car (I just went to Rocky's Autos last week and left the dealership very pissed-off).
                      Used more than new. I dont know about that. Just depends on the type of car....Rockys usually has decent deals.
                      sigpic

Comment

Or I would honestly consider just getting something from a private seller. Usually a little cheaper, cuts out the middle man, and no stupid fees.
                        sigpic

Comment

this is the reason i bought new, sure it may have cost me 4k more but over my 6 year loan period that what? less than 60 bucks a month

it beats having recieved a lemon or something beat to hell and its hard to know because everything may look fine on the outside

ive bought 2 used cars before my first when i turned 16 (lasted about 3-4 years) from a private seller and later on the whole exhaust system needed to be replaced beause the guy that owned it previously had someone do a shoddy job of fixing it and ghetto rigging it to stay on

my next used was from a dealer and the A/C didnt work when i checked it out they said they fixed it and next summer it didnt work again. Most everything else on the car isnt bad.

but its also just fun to buy a brand new car to some people. its your baby. you take care of it right and cars these days will easiely last 10+ years. I know when the maintenance was perfomrmed, washed, and what happened inside it that might later affect it down the road
                          sigpic
                          -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                            this is the reason i bought new, sure it may have cost me 4k more but over my 6 year loan period that what? less than 60 bucks a month

it beats having recieved a lemon or something beat to hell and its hard to know because everything may look fine on the outside

ive bought 2 used cars before my first when i turned 16 (lasted about 3-4 years) from a private seller and later on the whole exhaust system needed to be replaced beause the guy that owned it previously had someone do a shoddy job of fixing it and ghetto rigging it to stay on

my next used was from a dealer and the A/C didnt work when i checked it out they said they fixed it and next summer it didnt work again. Most everything else on the car isnt bad.

but its also just fun to buy a brand new car to some people. its your baby. you take care of it right and cars these days will easiely last 10+ years. I know when the maintenance was perfomrmed, washed, and what happened inside it that might later affect it down the road
                            Yeah I agree. Once I get something on my credit that shouldnt be there straightened out Im going to consider a new car.
                            sigpic

Comment

I tend to buy new cars, because I want exactly what I want, and I'm not willing to compromise on certain things. Plus, I drive cars for a long time and take care of them. So the benefit of used tends to even out.

I'd be open to a used car if it was exactly what I wanted, or was for the kids.

Comment

My local Subaru dealer doesn't have the car I want in inventory. They told me that they would call me back next week once they get their new inventory in

In the meantime, I went to check out another used car today, and it was a piece of crap yet again (50th used car I've looked at over the last 4 months).

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Working...
                                X