Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VW New Beetle (2002) Suspension Question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW New Beetle (2002) Suspension Question....

Hey all you car aficionados (mechanics and non-mechanics):

I was removing the splash guard/undercarriage guard on my 2002 VW Beetle (it just fell apart) and noticed that the boots surrounding the struts (front end suspension assembly) were crumbling.

Does this mean I have to replace the entire Macpherson Strut assembly? Or can I just go to the nearest Advanced auto parts store and buy one of the following:

Monroe Shock-Mate Shock Absorber Boot Kit
    Moog Strut Bellow

Any and all advice would be welcome!

Thanks!
    sigpic
    2014 Adopted Bronco: Juwan Thompson

Originally posted by FLBroncFan View Post
    Hey all you car aficionados (mechanics and non-mechanics):

I was removing the splash guard/undercarriage guard on my 2002 VW Beetle (it just fell apart) and noticed that the boots surrounding the struts (front end suspension assembly) were crumbling.

Does this mean I have to replace the entire Macpherson Strut assembly? Or can I just go to the nearest Advanced auto parts store and buy one of the following:

Monroe Shock-Mate Shock Absorber Boot Kit
    Moog Strut Bellow

Any and all advice would be welcome!

Thanks!
    Try calling said Advanced Auto Parts and asking them
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
      Try calling said Advanced Auto Parts and asking them
      Hahaha....I called a EuroCar shop and asked the receptionist.....got the same answer.
      sigpic

Comment

The boots can be replaced but being that the car is 10yrs. old I would recomend replacing the struts if your keeping the car. The Boots are like 15 dollars and the struts run about $65, go to auto parts warehouse they usualy got great deals Thats where I order alot of my auto parts from...let me know if you gaot any more questions im always glad to help people.

Comment

Originally posted by SKULLMAN View Post
          The boots can be replaced but being that the car is 10yrs. old I would recomend replacing the struts if your keeping the car. The Boots are like 15 dollars and the struts run about $65, go to auto parts warehouse they usualy got great deals Thats where I order alot of my auto parts from...let me know if you gaot any more questions im always glad to help people.
          Thanks for the assist! Would give you some CP but silly board message says I have to CP others first.
          sigpic

Comment

No problem any time...

Comment

Depending on how many miles are on the car it might be better to just buy new struts.

You don't have to replace the whole MacPherson strut.

Comment

Well it depends on how your suspension is assembled but I guess you could swap the parts and not be in the obligation to change everyting. If you do the strut on one side I suggest you do it on the other side.

Since I am not a VW expert, I would also suggest you find a internet forum to search and acquire intel on the car you have :-)
                :logo:Canadian Denver Bronco Fan #7:logo:

Adopted Broncos:
                -:Mr. Decker:-

Comment

Working...
                X