Exercise and Health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise and Health

((Sorry mods if I put this in the wrong spot, I just figured since it was more about health and whatnot, that I should put it in Anything Goes.))

So I'm really excited because I have joined back up with karate, and you know what? I feel like a healthier person because of it! I'm not getting as many stomachaches, I'm not feeling tired all the time *except from exercise lol.*

Anyway, I'm excited because I decided I am going to start eating and living healthier. I'm going to try and give up the crap food and start eating organic. Any advice on a diet would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't realize it, but because I was spending so much time inside and not being productive that I believe that my immune system was becoming weaker and weaker and I was getting sicker. Share your story, and advice that you can give me so I can get/feel healthier and healthier. Thank you!
    Last edited by broncoFan!; 07-05-2012, 10:12 PM.
    sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Weigh your portions and Pre-cook meals whenever possible.. I used to do it on sundays during the non-broncos games for a whole week. makes it easier to avoid snacking. Track what you eat throughout the day and make sure you are eating enough protein etc.

Comment

I can't give you health advice, I eat a lot of bad food/drinks. The head of the MMA gym I go to told me to cut down on the stuff, eat more health/lean foods. Otherwise I'll always have mediocre cardio. Any actually good trainer or adviser would tell you, you don't have to give up all unhealthy foods, you just have to cut back and marginalize what you eat. Have 1 drink of pop a day instead of 2-3-4. Drink 3 full bottles of water a day, eat whole grain and wheat. Eat lean meats, cut of fat if still present on the meat. Ask you instructor for advice and help with balancing out your diet.

I have a very very good immune system, an odd one. For example, I can sit here in eat 3 steaks back to back and maybe gain 1lb. It's hard for me to gain weight, easy for me to lose it.

Cool that you do karate. I'd wrestled for 3yrs and now on my spare time go to a MMA gym, learning some Muay Thai and Striking.

Stuff like this can work wonders for people. It can help you health wise, it can help you protect yourself and/or family, if you want a career in it, you can pursue it. Which is why I recommend things like this for everyone. Even if all you learn is self defense.
      sigpic
      Adopted Broncos:
      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
        Weigh your portions and Pre-cook meals whenever possible.. I used to do it on sundays during the non-broncos games for a whole week. makes it easier to avoid snacking. Track what you eat throughout the day and make sure you are eating enough protein etc.
        :doh: It is hard during football man isn't it? Ugh..... Greasy chicken wings, pizza, and beer. Lol that's a killer to any diet right there!
        sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Comment

Don't drink away your daily caloric needs. My daily caloric intake needed is around 1800 calorie and if I were to drink juice/pop/alcohol a lot, I'd be flushing down most of my calories when I could be getting them from food (that's nutritious). This also helps in eliminating a lot of sugar and junk you really don't need.

Try to stay away from too much fatty foods. It's fine to reward yourself once in a while but don't overdue it. I'd also suggest cutting out butter away from your diet completely. It does nothing for you.

Comment

I'm on Week 2 of the Insanity Workout. I lost around 50 pounds last year the old fashion way with exercise and cutting back on fatty foods. Now I'm just trying to get rid of the rest of my gut and tone up. It's pretty tough, but nothing I can't handle. Exercise definately helps you overall.

Comment

You don't have to start punishing yourself with restricting your diet, that's what I learned.

I cut out all of the fried stuff and completely cut sugar pop out of my diet. I will occasionally allow myself snacks, and I haven't cut beer out at all.

I could probably really lean down my diet and lose even more than the 85lbs ive lost, but for the most part I'm comfortable where I am. I do cardio 4-5 times a week and weight train 3-4 times a week. I'm still losing, slowly but surely.

Another good bit of advice I got was nutrition trumps everything else. If your nutrition isn't right, exercising, while helpful, isn't results intensive.

Drink your water.
              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

What exactly are your goals with the diet?

Getting rid of stomachaches, losing weight, maintaining weight, gaining weight all require different tweaks.

And just since you mentioned stomachaches in your post, I could probably wright you an essay on how to attempt to treat those But mainly what I have found is that although eating is important, consistent exercise does more for them than eating correctly.
                sigpic
                Thanks Freyaka for the Sig! And Avatar!

Comment

lol karate

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
                    lol karate
                    The sport of karate has definitely lost it's appeal that it had in the 90's but I still think it's a great way to stay in shape.

I would totally do MMA/BJJ/Boxing training if I could but those cost an arm and a leg where I'm at to do..

Comment

Don't drink Diet pop if you ever feel to reward yourself with a nice cold sprite. Diet pop isn't actually less healthy than regular pop and I heard it can higher your risk in cancer. Diet pop have less calories, but it's the subs that cause the issues.

Also when it comes to rewarding yourself with pop, cut back or stop drinking dark drinks, stick with clear drinks, and/or drinks with natural ingredients.
                      sigpic
                      Adopted Broncos:
                      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                        The sport of karate has definitely lost it's appeal that it had in the 90's but I still think it's a great way to stay in shape.

I would totally do MMA/BJJ/Boxing training if I could but those cost an arm and a leg where I'm at to do..
                        yeah, it's still exercise. isn't BronoFan like 20 or something though? I find karate to be more of a small child thing but whatever

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                          Don't drink Diet pop if you ever feel to reward yourself with a nice cold sprite. Diet pop isn't actually less healthy than regular pop and I heard it can higher your risk in cancer. Diet pop have less calories, but it's the subs that cause the issues.

Also when it comes to rewarding yourself with pop, cut back or stop drinking dark drinks, stick with clear drinks, and/or drinks with natural ingredients.
                          I totally just drank a diet coke before reading this.

I wouldn't say the aspartame is that bad if you drink it once in a while like once a week. But knowing some Americans diet consists of drinking multiple sodas everyday, Imma have to agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderFanSD View Post
                            yeah, it's still exercise. isn't BronoFan like 20 or something though? I find karate to be more of a small child thing but whatever
                            Have you watched The Office and seen the karate episode with Dwight Shrute in it? Maybe he's that guy?

If you have no clue what I'm talking about just ignore me.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post

I think Karate is underrated. GSP is a black belt in karate and though he is now more of a true mix martial artist in the since that he does a good amount of each type. He still falls back on his karate at times.

I think Karate lost it's flame when these other styles became more popular, more people was able to do karate than people that could do any of the other fighting styles.
                              sigpic
                              Adopted Broncos:
                              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Working...
                              X