I "Dig" Spelling (Properly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I "Dig" Spelling (Properly)

I am sorry, but it makes me laugh whenever I see threads/posts that are very opinionated about a player.......and are obviously misspelled (whoa, m-i-s-s-p-e-l-l-e-d is a tough one to be sure!!). I mean, if you really have had the time to formulate your thoughts about someone that we all pretty much know, at least make sure you spell the name correctly.

OK.....there are hard names out there, but cmon, your very own Broncos. For example, how butchered can you butcher Knowshon? And how does Von become Vonn? I do understand Payton instead of Peyton....but you get a little grace on him.

But I guess I'm a bit anal in that regard. I probably take too much time writing, and researching, and trying to be correct......maybe I waste too much time.

But here's the sad truth......no matter how things are taught these days, and how liberal one can be when networking.......it sure helps to know how to spell (and yes, write) if you want to have a successful career, in many fields. Not all fields. Funny, but ever since I was a kid, the knock on Doctors was their terrible handwriting....but I still believe those folks can write and spell, and in their case, spell a lot of very big words!!

This kind of leaves me open to some meticulous critiquing of my words and sentences and so on. And that's fair ball. BUT cmon folks.....lets start with spelling our guys' names properly. Then again, we all get a few months with the new guys. But heaven forbid if we trade for Houshmandzadeh, or Haloti Ngata.......but then again, if we landed Ngata, I don't really care how you spell his name!!!!

Can, I hear you. I have become somewhat anal when it comes to my spelling lately. Constantly going back and fixing those redlined words. lol

But this place has nothing on the other forum I post on. A trading card forum just littered with people who have no idea how to spell. Sometimes I wonder if they ever attended an English class.

Now, by no means am I any kind of authority, but I see stuff like;

CARDS FOR SELL!
    CARDS FOR SALES!
    ANYONES WANTS MY CARDS? HUGE SELL!

These are thread titles! And the same people do it consistently. All the time.

These guy can butcher names like Tim Smith.

And that's just the start of it. Many posts there are just hard to read they contain so many errors.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know it could be a lot worse. This place, it's members, are actually pretty good with the grammar and spelling.

By the way, I gots a sweeeet SICK Noshawn card i'd like to sales you. lol

Comment

I don't discourage proper spelling, but my question to you is when someone says Vonn do you know who it is they are talking about? Obviously you do, so who cares...I always try to spell everything properly but nothing annoys me more than me having a spelling or grammatical error and having someone jump on it like a fat kid on chocolate....It borders on trolling sometimes the way people attack others spelling, grammar or punctuation. If you understand them just ignore them...

I do however want to strangle the twitter generation that wants to abreviate everything as if there is a small character limit on these boards....
      sigpic

Comment

My favorite sign of all time is from when I lived in Seattle. During cherry season, all sorts of roadside stands selling the fruit would pop up & one of them would advertise:

CHERRYES HEAR
        Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
        FF is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn View Post
          Can, I hear you. I have become somewhat anal when it comes to my spelling lately. Constantly going back and fixing those redlined words. lol

But this place has nothing on the other forum I post on. A trading card forum just littered with people who have no idea how to spell. Sometimes I wonder if they ever attended an English class.

Now, by no means am I any kind of authority, but I see stuff like;

CARDS FOR SELL!
          CARDS FOR SALES!
          ANYONES WANTS MY CARDS? HUGE SELL!

These are thread titles! And the same people do it consistently. All the time.

These guy can butcher names like Tim Smith.

And that's just the start of it. Many posts there are just hard to read they contain so many errors.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know it could be a lot worse. This place, it's members, are actually pretty good with the grammar and spelling.

By the way, I gots a sweeeet SICK Noshawn card i'd like to sales you. lol

Got ya JW....could be a lot worse!!!

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
          I don't discourage proper spelling, but my question to you is when someone says Vonn do you know who it is they are talking about? Obviously you do, so who cares...I always try to spell everything properly but nothing annoys me more than me having a spelling or grammatical error and having someone jump on it like a fat kid on chocolate....It borders on trolling sometimes the way people attack others spelling, grammar or punctuation. If you understand them just ignore them...

I do however want to strangle the twitter generation that wants to abreviate everything as if there is a small character limit on these boards....
          I hardly point these errors out (maybe twice a year). I certainly wouldn't want people nit-picking all the time. As for the Vonn thing......I believe it was repeated in the post I am thinking about, and I believe it came from someone who can take a hit. Just my view. After all, all of this stuff is just our views.

Further, one thing that can really make a mess, is misspelling a person's name on a memo of some kind. That is not taken lightly by the recipient. That's one you have to get right.

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
          My favorite sign of all time is from when I lived in Seattle. During cherry season, all sorts of roadside stands selling the fruit would pop up & one of them would advertise:

CHERRYES HEAR
          Don't tell me misspelled (I have to repeat this word, so as to keep spelling it right!!!) fruit are able to hear what I say. I better go apologize to an applle in the kitchen, right now!!!

Comment

I won the spelling bee two years in a row in 4th and 5th grades. In 3rd grade I got 4th place, and in 6th grade I fell down pretty early cuz I didn't know how to spell 'archaic'. My dynasty was cut short

Comment

Spelling is something that should be used. I understand when someone makes a simple mistake while typing. But when people continually spell things incorrectly it really discredits their post.
              Last edited by JakeNbake; 07-09-2012, 02:19 PM.
              sigpic
              2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

I think a lot of it comes with age or maybe maturity. I know in my early 20s I didn't really pay attention to grammar or spelling as much as I should have. Now I'm the complete opposite.

Part of it has to do with my profession. Web work is highly visible and scrutinized so you learn to be cognizant of grammar/spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                  Spelling is something that should be used. I understand when someone makes a simple mistake when typing. But when people continually spell things incorrectly it really discredits their post.
                  Oh yeah! That's something I do pay attention to. If you want me to take you or your post seriously then take the time to make sure your spelling son par.

My pet peeves are they're, their, there, or you're and your.

Comment

They're, there, their.
                    Where, were, we're.
                    You're, your.

People misusing the above words is probably my biggest pet peeve!
                    Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Nahh dawg teh speling iz overRatid.....

Comment

Great post, Cann.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanNC View Post
                          Great post, Cann.
                          Yeah Cain has a way with his posts.
                          sigpic
                          2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Spelling is definitely important, even if this is an informal message board.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Misspelled words doesn't bother me that much. What really bothers me is some of these abbreviations. Here's one that just boils my blood: And = N. How much harder is it to type two more letters? I definately will not be the grammer police around here, so I just don't read that posters, post. But when I read, I like for things to flow, and some of these abbreviations doesn't flow at all.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X