Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's All In The Name (And How You Say It)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's All In The Name (And How You Say It)

Maybe I am wrong about this, but growing up, playing sports and such, made me realize that there is a unique language that we employ when calling others by name, and how we say it tells us more about the relationship.

For example, if another dude called me by my last name, it often signified that he was not my closest buddy at that particular moment. HOWEVER, by shortening the last name, or maybe even adding some letters to the shortened version, meant that we were on good terms.

Say your last name name is "Wilson". If a dude called you Wilson, that might not be too good. BUT if he called you Wilz (shortened and with a nice little "z" to give it some energy), you were probably a good teammate. "Z" adds some nice zip on a shortened name. Sometimes a shortened name all by itself had the same effect. Like "Chip" instead of Chipperfield or even "Chipper". In that regard, adding an "er" works really well. Same applies to first names.....more to follow on that.

So basically, last names that are abbreviated, or shortened and finished off with a "z" or "er" (to name a couple), means you care...........

USUALLY!

Some of the same principles apply to first names. Saying one's first name is often a good sign. But a lot of us jocks (and others) will add an "er", or "y", or "ie" to a first name, representing we are on good terms. For me - Dave, lots of folks go with "Davey", even though I am getting a bit old for that. BUT I still like it. I do it to my buds all the time......hey Ronnie, Gordie, Ricky, Bobby, and so on.....even though, like myself, some of them are a little long in the tooth.

Further to.....a few folks call me David......and it seems most of them are from people I respect. I think those particular folks make me feel kind of special, even though I am mostly a "Dave" sort of guy (a little goofy when I can be). It makes for a form of "proper-ness", and I think most of us like being treated that way from time to time.

And sometimes you use the cooler version of the name, even if your bud isn't that cool! My old friend Charlie is a bit of a nerd, which is totally fine by the way, but we used to call him Chuck, especially when we wanted to boast his confidence and make sure he knew he was on the right track. Charlie was a year younger, and and not quite polished as a young fellow, so we made sure he felt as cool as he could. Chuck was one of us, on our street, therefore we were in the business of grooming him.

I apply some of these principles to the way I greet folks here. I usually take names and abbreviate, unless they are custom made otherwise. So if you're Remedy, you get Rem. If you're PowderAddict, you get Powder. And if your EddieMac, you get EM.......or in all cases, you will at times get actual first names.

There's more, but I think you get my point. It's a feeling attached to the name. And not like I'm going to call you by your last name here (as if I know it), but I like real first names, and I like abbreviated names for the mostpart......and watch for some add ons that give the name some ring to it!

:thumb:
    Last edited by CanDB; 07-11-2012, 12:03 PM.

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going
    to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old
    burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried
    and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good
    joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting
    pretty late.
    Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Originally posted by MegaOrange View Post
      One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going
      to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old
      burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried
      and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good
      joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting
      pretty late.
      Just not sure this fits the thread topic.......tell me where I'm going wrong here.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        Just not sure this fits the thread topic.......tell me where I'm going wrong here.
        Sorry, probably dating myself a bit but when I was reading your post I started thinking about this bit SNL had from this guy named Jack Handey. He would write seemingly normal things and then slip in something a little crazy. Your comments, of course, didn't do that but as I was reading that's what kept popping in my head.
        Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Originally posted by MegaOrange View Post
          Sorry, probably dating myself a bit but when I was reading your post I started thinking about this bit SNL had from this guy named Jack Handey. He would write seemingly normal things and then slip in something a little crazy. Your comments, of course, didn't do that but as I was reading that's what kept popping in my head.
          OK....that'll do!

(Oh no.......I'm sounding like Jack Handey!!!! Time to take a close look in the mirror. Hopefully I get the occasional "deep thought".......often it's just "deep trouble".)
          Last edited by CanDB; 07-11-2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Dang....... I thought this one (topic) was going to be a good one. Oh well, some surprise in the opposite direction.

(Note: I also like calling people "bud" or "buddy"......used to play baseball with a cool dude way back who called me buddy a lot. Maybe he never knew my name!!!! Seriously, I liked it, because he usually called me that in a positive situation.)

Comment

I now feel like I have to make this clear: I don't call Remedy "Rem" because I like him, I'm just that lazy.

j/k (?)

Seriously though, what you call someone can tell a lot about how the two of you interact (or how one party wants the two of you to interact). I've actually found that people calling me by my last name isn't a big deal (although I hang out with someone who has the same name as me a lot, so maybe that's why our experiences differ) - but if someone says my FULL first name, then they're either (A) my mother, or (B) my worst enemy.
              sigpic
              - ★ -
              2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

Yup, I find using a custom name for someone shows comfort with them. I don't think I have a close friend that I use their real name when I address them.

Good points as always Can <-------- and there we go
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sSync View Post
                  I now feel like I have to make this clear: I don't call Remedy "Rem" because I like him, I'm just that lazy.

j/k (?)

Seriously though, what you call someone can tell a lot about how the two of you interact (or how one party wants the two of you to interact). I've actually found that people calling me by my last name isn't a big deal (although I hang out with someone who has the same name as me a lot, so maybe that's why our experiences differ) - but if someone says my FULL first name, then they're either (A) my mother, or (B) my worst enemy.
                  Ha ha........(growing up) sometimes A and B could be the same person.

I should never say that, my dear ole Ma took our side more often than she should have. On the other hand........sometimes my deal ole Dad could get a little grouchy with us.....

(miss both of them!!)

Comment

I have nicknames and variations for all my friends and even family for sure.

I haven't called my best bud by his real name in years.
                    sigpic
                    Thanks Freyaka for the Sig! And Avatar!

Comment

My nicknames are not allowed on this website.

AHHH
                      sigpic
                      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

It's funny you mention this and I think about. When I apply what you say I held true in high school and college. Now though, I am just called by my first name. Maybe because I am one of our best players and I'm seen as a vet type thing or maybe because I'm 28 and an old timer......? Who knows.

But I do have nicknames for a few of the guys on my team but not all, despite the fact that we are all real close. I gave a guy the name Benny, we also named a josh "Sergei" and a few other completely different names. Still though we have our lapper, smitty and kulter or kulters or kultie.

Nice thread CanDaman.
                        So far:
                        FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                        1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Originally posted by sbxxxiichamps View Post
                          I have nicknames and variations for all my friends and even family for sure.

I haven't called my best bud by his real name in years.
                          Might be awkward to say the real name again....

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                          My nicknames are not allowed on this website.

AHHH
                          Cmon Jake.......just whisper them.

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                          It's funny you mention this and I think about. When I apply what you say I held true in high school and college. Now though, I am just called by my first name. Maybe because I am one of our best players and I'm seen as a vet type thing or maybe because I'm 28 and an old timer......? Who knows.

But I do have nicknames for a few of the guys on my team but not all, despite the fact that we are all real close. I gave a guy the name Benny, we also named a josh "Sergei" and a few other completely different names. Still though we have our lapper, smitty and kulter or kulters or kultie.

Nice thread CanDaman.
                          Part of the bonding process.......nicknames and 'ers' and 'ies', and so on......all good buddy stuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                            Might be awkward to say the real name again....
                            I was there when one of our other friends made that mistake...and it was!
                            sigpic
                            Thanks Freyaka for the Sig! And Avatar!

Comment

Over the years & the different jobs i have had, i've had many "nicknames" of sort based on my last name which is Rok, so if you could think of something to go with rok i probably have been called it.

And in fact i would say that my first name was almost never used with the guys i worked with, i was just known mostly for my last name & what somebody could pair with it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X