Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's All In The Name (And How You Say It)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My entire family call me Thomas
    My old school friends call me Tommy
    My work friends call me Tom

It's as constant as gravity, no exceptions!

Also, I haven't called my brother James by his name in about 15 years, always call him "buddy" or "bud"
    Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosFanInPA View Post
      Over the years & the different jobs i have had, i've had many "nicknames" of sort based on my last name which is Rok, so if you could think of something to go with rok i probably have been called it.

And in fact i would say that my first name was almost never used with the guys i worked with, i was just known mostly for my last name & what somebody could pair with it.
      Last names like yours are perfect.....because they are one, solid syllable. Your name "rocks".....so to speak.

But yes, I get it. Multiple syllable names are shortened and sometimes enhanced. But yours is almost custom made as is.....other than the variations that others like to play with.

Originally posted by EvertonBroncos View Post
      My entire family call me Thomas
      My old school friends call me Tommy
      My work friends call me Tom

It's as constant as gravity, no exceptions!

Also, I haven't called my brother James by his name in about 15 years, always call him "buddy" or "bud"
      And your first name options are very similar to the way my name is used....

David is not always used by my family, but a lot of them use it.

Davey is sometimes used by sports buds, and those who see a more youthful side to me.

Dave is the most common usage of my name.......

So not exactly the same (probably because I am ancient), but some of the same principles.

As for buddy/bud.......that's a positive name, at least that's how I use it.

Comment

Not saying girls don't do it, but it seems like nicknames are more of a guy thing right?? I only like to be called Katie. I'm not a Kate, and friends know not to call me Kathy

It's pretty common where I work to call people by their last names only.. :nono: I don't do that, it makes me feel butch

Comment

or you could just take the full last name and add a y to the end

sometimes a y180 too...
          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
          Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

My last name is 2 short words that can't really be shortened my friends on my team always just called me Pat or Angry P because of the way I trained and competed. lol

We still called people by their last names who were part of the team "family"
            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KatieElway7 View Post
              Not saying girls don't do it, but it seems like nicknames are more of a guy thing right?? I only like to be called Katie. I'm not a Kate, and friends know not to call me Kathy

It's pretty common where I work to call people by their last names only.. :nono: I don't do that, it makes me feel butch
              Nice to see you around these parts Kathy......

ooops!!

As for the ladies.....I am mostly familiar with playing competitively with guys, so that's most of my knowledge on this. When I play(ed) with females (whoa, that sounds kinda cool!), I have pretty much stuck with regular first names. Think that's my upbringing, plus most of us guys do that, I believe. Maybe not quite as comfortable with the boys stuff on the girls, so to speak. But I do believe that some of the most competitive females would use nicknames and name alterations.....just not familiar turf for me.

Comment

Working...
              X