Questions about moving to Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about moving to Colorado

Alright, so right now I am in college studying Speech-Language Pathology. Only 19, and a die-hard Bronco fan my whole life.

I've never visited Colorado, always have wanted to but my family and I have just never gotten around to it. I only hear great things and positive remarks about Colorado everytime it is mentioned, I already know I want to move there one day.

I live in Alabama as of now, with no NFL anywhere near me and it SUCKS. Not moving ALL because of the Broncos (one of my reasons though)... I like it better out west, and I want have a new start. I enjoy snow, I like to snowboard, broncos football, and outdoor activites such as hiking and canoeing.

But, my main question here is What are good areas in Colorado to live in? It doesn't necissarily have to be near Denver, but I highly recommend it near Denver.

Thanks fellas!

The city of Louisville was voted one of the top 10 places to live by Money Magazine. Louisville is between Denver and Boulder. I work there three days a week and it is a nice town.
    sigpic

Comment

Colorado Springs was nice last time I visited family... But wildfires might have changed that. Denver is really nice if you want to live in the city.
      Denver Broncos GM
      Originally posted by Mosk
      Joey Bosa ~ Jason Spriggs ~ Darian Thompson ~ Nick Vannett ~ Paul Perkins ~ Dan Vitale

Comment

Originally posted by THEdraftnik View Post
        Colorado Springs was nice last time I visited family... But wildfires might have changed that. Denver is really nice if you want to live in the city.
        No Colorado Springs is still the same place. Yeah a lot of homes were destroyed but it was a small area in the big scheme of things that was burned in the city limits. Lots of nicd places to live along the front range if you want to be close to Denver. I have lived Colorado Springs since last april. Its nice and not too far from Denver (about an hour from downtown). You got lots of outdoor activities and the mountains are close. You are not close to any ski areas though if you like to snowboard. Before the springs i was born and raised in Durango a small town in the southwest part of the state. Its great for outdoors and a beatiful area however its hard to find a decent paying job and your about 6 1/2 - 7 hours from Denver. If its a smalltown you want than its definatly not a bad option! Others have mentioned Denver and I agree its a great City! As far as were to stay away from i dont like Pueblo much, areas of south Colorado Springs are a little rough, Colfax in Denver lol, and thoigh ive never been there many people say how much they hate Greeley! Also Lots of people have good things to say about Ft. Collins thats about 2 hours north of Denver. Sorry I kind of started rambling but i hope it helps a little bit!
        Last edited by dsmith275; 07-11-2012, 11:31 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Try Gunnison, CO. It's a couple hours away from Denver, but there's skiing snowboarding about 20 minutes north in Crested Butte, tons of places to hike, Blue Mesa reservoir is a large body of water close by and they have Western State College which might have what you're studying. It's a perfect place for people who love the outdoors, there's kayaking, climbing, cliff jumping, hiking, 4-wheeling, spelunking, mountains and some flat areas all within a half hour. You just have to be able to deal with -20 weather in the winter/spring, but it doesn't feel as bad as it sounds because it only gets that cold when it's sunny and the air is dry. Not much wind up there but there is a ton of snow.
          :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
          sigpic

Comment

CO is awesome. It's not a cheap place to live, but it's an incredible place to live.

Comment

depends on what your looking for.

littleton is real nice and not real expensive. Cherry hills village otoh is super nice but expensive. centennial, highlands ranch, some parts of englewood are all fine, relatively cheap and centrally located to everything.
              So far:
              FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
              1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

I live in the Springs and the fires aren't a problem other than the tragedy they were. Most ski resorts are a couple of hours away, which isn't bad. If the Springs has a problem it is jobs. We've stopped giving perks for companies to move here and are relying on the numerous military installations to drive the city. Because of the military we have a lot of defense industry jobs but have slowly lost a lot of other industry. HP, Intel, and Oracle have all seemingly decreased their footprint. It's a beautiful town, just a little tough to find work. It's a pretty conservative town if that's important to you.

I love Denver, but just a little to busy for me so I visit. I think the Boulder area is nice too. Someone mentioned Gunnison - routinely one of the coldest areas of Colorado - not sure you're ready for that.

Everything east of the mountains is pretty moderate weather - don't tell anyone. We get snow but it's gone within a few days. The reason it makes the news is we don't prepare for the weather. In NY, where I have family, they get more snow so they plow at the sight of the first snow flake, they expect it, budget it, and prepare for it. Because we only get a few good snows a year there is no huge budget. When we do get a snow the plows eventually get out and it's a race to plow it before it melts. But, for that day or two when the snow is heavy it shuts down the city.

It's dry here, very dry. No humidity! But, you're a little closer to the sun so when that sun is hitting you it's hot, wouldn't think it makes a difference but it does. I can go to NY and walk around in 95 heat 90% humidity and maybe get a sunburn in a few hours. Out here if it's 90 I can get a burn 20 minutes. Worst sunburn I ever had was while skiing, peeled my whole face off, the snow reflection helped with that one.
                Anybody know how to get out of Plan A? - Elway

Comment

Highlands ranch is pretty nice. Id personally just move to Denver if I were you. It has more job opportunities than CO Springs and obviously you have easy access to the Broncos.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsmith275 View Post
                    No Colorado Springs is still the same place. Yeah a lot of homes were destroyed but it was a small area in the big scheme of things that was burned in the city limits. Lots of nicd places to live along the front range if you want to be close to Denver. I have lived Colorado Springs since last april. Its nice and not too far from Denver (about an hour from downtown). You got lots of outdoor activities and the mountains are close. You are not close to any ski areas though if you like to snowboard. Before the springs i was born and raised in Durango a small town in the southwest part of the state. Its great for outdoors and a beatiful area however its hard to find a decent paying job and your about 6 1/2 - 7 hours from Denver. If its a smalltown you want than its definatly not a bad option! Others have mentioned Denver and I agree its a great City! As far as were to stay away from i dont like Pueblo much, areas of south Colorado Springs are a little rough, Colfax in Denver lol, and thoigh ive never been there many people say how much they hate Greeley! Also Lots of people have good things to say about Ft. Collins thats about 2 hours north of Denver. Sorry I kind of started rambling but i hope it helps a little bit!
                    I just knew there would be some Pueblo bashing going on this thread

Comment

Originally posted by KatieElway7 View Post
                      Lol i see you are from Pueblo hope i didnt offend you just dont like the town much
                      sigpic

Comment

Lol i see you are from Pueblo hope i didnt offend you just dont like the town much
                        haha, no I don't get offended that easy! I just always check these threads because someone always says something bad about Pueblo, it's actually really funny.

But for the record, it's not that bad!!

Comment

haha, no I don't get offended that easy! I just always check these threads because someone always says something bad about Pueblo, it's actually really funny.

But for the record, it's not that bad!!
                          not as bad as alamosa
                          :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                          sigpic

Comment

As far as were to stay away from i dont like Pueblo much
                            What's wrong with running into a certain Browns fan?

Don't worry anyway, I probably won't be around here much longer. Planning (more like hoping) to move east once I finish degree...
                            Last edited by Charlie Brown; 07-12-2012, 09:37 PM.
                            The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Sorry, but Pueblo is pretty much my least favorite town in Colorado

Grand Junction is the other. Too bad I'm there fairly often as it's the closest "big" town to where I live.

Of course, we can all agree that Aurora is the worst in Colorado, amiright?

Comment

Working...
                              X