The Worlds "Ugliest Woman"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Worlds "Ugliest Woman"

I find her story amazing and beautiful. This shows that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and who she is and what she is doing makes her a stunning "10" knockout. We can only hope to have even a fraction of the "beauty" this woman has.

http://shine.yahoo.com/beauty/lesson...184400606.html

"When she was in high school, Lizzie Velasquez was dubbed "The World's Ugliest Woman" in an 8-second-long YouTube video. Born with a medical condition so rare that just two other people in the world are thought to have it, Velasquez has no adipose tissue and cannot create muscle, store energy, or gain weight. She has zero percent body fat and weighs just 60 pounds.

In the comments on YouTube, viewers called her "it" and "monster" and encouraged her to kill herself. Instead, Velasquez set four goals: To become a motivational speaker, to publish a book, to graduate college, and to build a family and a career for herself.

Now 23 years old, she's been a motivational speaker for seven years and has given more than 200 workshops on embracing uniqueness, dealing with bullies, and overcoming obstacles. She's a senior majoring in Communications at Texas State University in San Marcos, where she lives with her best friend. Her first book, "Lizzie Beautiful," came out in 2010 and her second, "Be Beautiful, Be You," was published earlier this month.

"The stares are what I'm really dealing with in public right now," she told Dr. Drew Pinsky in an interview on CNN's Headline News this week. "But I think I'm getting to the point where… instead of sitting by and watching people judge me, I'm starting to want to go up to these people and introduce myself or give them my card and say, 'Hi, I'm Lizzie. Maybe you should stop staring and start learning'."

Velasquez was born in San Antonio, Texas; she was four weeks premature and weighed just 2 pounds, 10 ounces. "They told us they had no idea how she could have survived," her mother, Rita, 45, told the Daily Mail. "We had to buy doll's clothes from the toy store because baby clothes were too big." Doctors warned Rita and her husband, Lupe, that their oldest child would never be able to walk or talk, let alone live a normal life. (Her two younger siblings were not affected by the syndrome.)

Instead, she has thrived. Her internal organs, brain, and bones developed normally, though her body is tiny. Since she has no fatty tissue in which to store nutrients, she has to eat every 15 to 20 minutes to have enough energy to get through the day. One brown eye started clouding over when she was 4 years old, and now she's blind in that eye and has only limited sight in the other.

"Some days life doesn't make sense," she writes in "Be Beautiful, Be You." "You just have to change what you can, ask for help and pray about the rest."

She notes her triumphs and posts inspirational messages on Tumblr, and says that she's learned to embrace the things that make her unique. Instead of trying to retaliate against people who have made her feel badly, she sets goals for herself and pushes herself to succeed in spite of the haters. She's even reclaimed YouTube, video blogging about everything from bullying to hair-styling tips to staying positive.

"I feel really glad that I don't look like the celebrities out there that are so beautiful," she told Dr. Drew. "There's a lot of stereotypes attached to that." Not looking like a supermodel "gives people the opportunity to know you personally," she explains. "If they're willing to take that extra step they'll get to know the person you really are."

Of course, the horrible comments left on that old YouTube video stung (the video has since been removed, but Velasquez says she read every single comment). Now, she says, she understands that they're "just words."

"I'm human, and of course these things are going to hurt," she said. "Their judgements of me isn't who I am, and I'm not going to let these things define me."

"I didn't sink down to their level," she said in a follow-up video on YouTube last year. "Instead, I got my revenge through my accomplishments and determination. In the battle between the 'World's Ugliest Woman' video vs. me, I think I won." "
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Point of fact on just how 'tough' people are when they aren't face to face with people. Human nature for most of our populace is to cause pain to others when they are filled with their own insecurities. I would love for those people to meet her in real life, understand her story, and maybe they would reconsider the gravity of the things they say. That certainly wouldn't happen though, because frankly a lot of our younger generation are entitled ingrates. Who knows where parenting in this world has gone, but it is certainly gone. Parents leave the child raising to their school system, which isn't good enough, and leave the rest to the television and media world.

Let them talk. This girl has an amazing head on her shoulders despite the hand she has been dealt. I would say I feel bad for her and all that but I won't, because she doesn't feel bad for herself. It would be easy for her to be a shut-in and let them win but she's going to live her life the way she wants to and that's the truly beautiful thing.

From the outside I wonder why there isn't some kind of treatment for this disease (Other than eating 15,000 calories a day, wow!). I've seen other tissue related disorders similar to this and have often wondered the same thing. We can implant muscles and skin and other parts of the body, but not adipose tissue? It's obviously more complicated than that but it makes you wonder.

Comment

Thank you for posting that, eb. I had seen it online earlier but didn't have time to read it.

Good for Lizzie for not hiding. Good for her for "fighting" back. I'll have to get her books. And share them with some people.
      Last edited by Peanut; 09-13-2012, 11:23 PM.
      Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Wow, amazing story and an amazing woman. It makes all of my life journeys to date seem so small in comparison. It's stories like these that make me realize I have NOTHING to stress about.

Unfortunately it also shows just how cruel this world can be...
        My other love...
        sigpic
        305 HP / 273 TQ / SH-AWD / 6MT

Comment

That's an inspiring story. I guarantee you that, were their places switched, the people who were posting those comments on youtube would have been absolutely crushed by their circumstances; whereas this woman rose above them all. Kudos to her.

sigpic
          - ★ -
          2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

Remarkable story. Even if some might not think she's a beautiful woman, she's a beautiful person. It's what's on the inside that counts. All she needs to tell herself is that she's better than people who skit at her on youtube etc. because she's right.
            Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Comment

These stories always make me sad......especially given that most people do not have her strength and sense of dignity, and therefore can not elevate themselves. They hide, and that's what most of us would probably do.

But yes, she is different. She is much different in that regard. She is a unique and special person, who can see well past the superficial. In that sense, she is blessed, and in my books, will be rewarded accordingly.

Comment

Three years later and she's still fighting the good fight. Lizzie has a new documentary. A remarkable woman.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/ugliest...854955287.html
                Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

My admiration of this person continues to grow. True heroes.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/lizzie-...171438198.html

"I’m writing this post not as someone who is a victim but as someone who is using their voice,” Velasquez began...... "No matter what we look like or what size we are, at the end of the day we are all human. I ask that you keep that in mind the next time you see a viral meme of a random stranger. At the time you might find it hilarious but the human in the photo is probably feeling the exact opposite,” she expressed, pointing out something most of us are probably guilty of without even realizing it. “Spread love not hurtful words via a screen.”
                  “I posted what I did as a way to use my platform that you guys have given me. To be able to use my voice and say, just, when you see something online remember that there is a human that is being affected by it,” she said, painting memes in a whole new light. “It might be funny at the time but there is someone who’s probably not feeling that it’s that funny. Think before you tweet, think before you share, think before you like. Because we just want to be accepted. That’s it.”
                  This isn’t the first time Velasquez has inspired the world with her wisdom. In 2006, an anonymous person posted a video of Velasquez at age 13 and titled it “The World’s Ugliest Woman.” Unfortunately, it went viral. But years later, it’s her response that everyone remembers. She wrote a letter to the user who posted the video asking why that person did such a cruel thing and explaining how it affected her. “Every time I thought I might be pretty, or that I’d finally fit in, or that maybe having this syndrome isn’t so bad — all of that was demolished as soon as I found your post,” she wrote. “Please believe me when I say finding that video felt like a curse at the time, but little did I know it was one of the biggest blessings in disguise I’ve ever had in my life,” she said so eloquently.

Since then, Velasquez has written books, given speeches with TED, and become the subject of an award-winning documentary. She’s gone from cyberbullying victim to cyberbullying activist.
                  Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

Comment

I find it interesting that those who take pleasure at hurting others in this way, are the real losers in life. Ironically, ugliness describes their actions/comments perfectly. Fortunately this lady is much, much bigger than all those who take advantage of her situation.....combined! She has made the most of her situation, and I am truly a fan!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      I find it interesting that those who take pleasure at hurting others in this way, are the real losers in life. Ironically, ugliness describes their actions/comments perfectly. Fortunately this lady is much, much bigger than all those who take advantage of her situation.....combined! She has made the most of her situation, and I am truly a fan!
                      I agree.

I've never understood why people seem to need to judge or ridicule others, especially for things that are out of that person's control (meaning that they were born that way). To make them feel superior? To make them feel better about themselves?

Velasquez took something nasty, touched it, turned it around and made something beautiful out of it. She doesn't fight nasty with nasty. That takes a very strong person.
                      Administrator

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                        I wish we could expose those in the most embarrassing fashion, point out and laugh at their flaws and then give them the same physical and mental conditions that they mock. I hate those people.

Comment

Working...
                        X