Sad That My Coworker Is Leaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad That My Coworker Is Leaving

He found a better opportunity and is leaving my company after 4 years there. I've been with the company for 16 months and he's been my mentor, and a damn good one.

Answers all of my questions whether it's a good time or not. Showed me essentially everything I know, and is one of my biggest advocates at our company (telling people great things about my work).

I wish him the best of luck, but I'll miss him. Great guy, great coworker, and an excellent role model. Crappy feeling

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Sorry dude...
    sigpic
    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Is this him??

That sucks though man. Maybe thatll open up an opportunity for you!
      sigpic

Comment

Always sucks when people we are close to move on to new jobs outside of the company...
        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
        Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
          I wouldn't want his old job. 50+ hours a week on a modest salary (no overtime) with a very stressful job.

sigpic

Comment

Que cheesy / sad song.

" don't be sad that it's over... be glad that it happened "

but yes in seriousness, it sucks when cool co-workers leave the job you're at.

Comment

hey g/l........coming from a pretty tough dude like you, this must mean a lot. It really sucks when the good folks leave. I guess the important news is that he was a positive source / mentor to you, and it's good that he was there when he was. Plus he's provided you exemplary leadership that you can use to guide you as a mentor and supportive team player. You saw and experienced it, so now you must keep it alive.

I understand your disappointment......maybe you can turn it into your own success story. Time for you to take that next step.

Believe it or not, some employees never get mentored in that way.
              Last edited by CanDB; 10-26-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                hey g/l........coming from a pretty tough dude like you, this must mean a lot. It really sucks when the good folks leave. I guess the important news is that he was a positive source / mentor to you, and it's good that he was there when he was. Plus he's provided you exemplary leadership that you can use to guide you as a mentor and supportive team player. You saw and experienced it, so now you must keep it alive.

I understand your disappointment......maybe you can turn it into your own success story. Time for you to take that next step.

Believe it or not, some employees never get mentored in that way.
                I was hoping you'd chime in with your wisdom

Yeah, I've had plenty of coworkers leave my job but this is the first time where I've genuinely been sad that one is leaving. I'm not embarrassed to admit that it'll be difficult for me to say goodbye to him on his last day next week, I'll probably choke up.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                  I was hoping you'd chime in with your wisdom

Yeah, I've had plenty of coworkers leave my job but this is the first time where I've genuinely been sad that one is leaving. I'm not embarrassed to admit that it'll be difficult for me to say goodbye to him on his last day next week, I'll probably choke up.
                  Don't feel like you are weak if you show signs of emotion. The best of folks do that. You are entitled to how you feel, and I can relate to that experience.

The workplace involves an array of dynamics. We are placed in a sometimes demanding environment, and we are also placed with folks for many hours a day, pretty much every day, possibly for a number of years. Getting along can be tough. But if one is fortunate, they will be in the same workplace as another really good person, and that is a special thing.

Ironically.....sometimes folks we don't hit it off with, can become close partners as time goes by.

I hope you can find one or more good folks in your workplace to provide you with the much needed comraderie that we all deserve. I believe you will (if you haven't already), but if nothing else, I can see you being the one to initiate good teamwork amongst your peers. Be that guy g/l......put in place what you learned from your departing friend. Sometimes you alone can revive what is lost, by bringing it out of the others.

Be that guy g/l!!
                  Last edited by CanDB; 10-26-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Great advice. I'll take it to heart. Thanks Can!

sigpic

Comment

Where I work there is a very high turnover of staff which isn't a good thing because it seems the second you get attached to someone they leave
                      Come On You Blues! GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
                        Okay, maybe I lied, I DO want his old job.

Good news: They opened up his old position and the hiring manager told me to apply for it.

Bad news: I don't meet minimum qualifications in regards to certs, degrees and experience. I'll be competing with highly experienced people for this job position

sigpic

Comment

Okay, maybe I lied, I DO want his old job.

Good news: They opened up his old position and the hiring manager told me to apply for it.

Bad news: I don't meet minimum qualifications in regards to certs, degrees and experience. I'll be competing with highly experienced people for this job position
                          I've experienced that once in my life, where a hiring manager told me to apply for a job. I got the job, if that's any consolation. I didn't think I had the necessary experience either. I would say your chances are pretty good if he told you to apply.

This reminds me of when my brother in law moved from the Boise area up to Post Falls, Idaho (sits between Spokane, Washington and Couer D' Alene, ID). He essentially trained me to manage restoration projects. It was really bitter sweet for me to see him go. He is still what I would consider to be my best friend. He trained me and mentored me in a field I knew nothing about. It opened the door for me to run my own projects, but I was still sad to see him go.

It's been 3.5 years since he left and I still miss him a lot. We've actually thought about moving up north. His wife and my wife are sisters. The four of us use to spend a lot of time together.
                          Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 11-07-2012, 12:18 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                            I've experienced that once in my life, where a hiring manager told me to apply for a job. I got the job, if that's any consolation. I didn't think I had the necessary experience either. I would say your chances are pretty good if he told you to apply.
                            Makes me feel better about my chances. Thanks AW4M!

sigpic

Comment

Makes me feel better about my chances. Thanks AW4M!
                              AW4M is right on with his comment.

I have done a lot of HR work, and even though folks are looking for someone who meets all the primary qualifications, it doesn't rule out those who are in the workplace, and have experience and a good background, which gives you an edge to some degree......because they know what they're getting and will overlook certain requirements if they see this as an opportunity for them as well.

Sure, if you got the job they might request you to further your education, but sometimes they will actually pay for it as well!

Here's my advice.....go for it and go for it with gusto. Be prepared if they plan to interview you. Don't let this opportunity go by without a decent fight, and I mean that in a good sense. Make them know you really want this job, that you are aware of any shortcomings you may have (per what you mentioned already....nothing more!!!), but that you will do whatever you must to make up for it.

Study that posting, and make sure you can respond to every qualification otherwise.

Sharpen up on what you bring to the job, including why you are an excellent candidate for the job.

Be confident.

Be able to talk about your background, your skills, your accomplishments, your competencies (typically they include some or all of the following - leadership, teamwork, initiative, communication, planning & organizing, analytical, problem solving, work ethic).

If you wish, feel free to pm me, if you need more, or when you get an interview. I may not offer much more than you know already, but I can try.

:thumb:
                              Last edited by CanDB; 11-07-2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X