Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Really Love December!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I Really Love December!!!

    Geez....it just snuck up on me this year. Still got some Christmas shopping to do....or as I call it, lawful assault in a public place!! (Wow, those nice ladies sure play a tough game in the shopping mall!!)

    I digress.

    - I love Christmas and most everything about it. Memories are entrenched from childhood, and it still stands for all that's good in the world. People being with family and friends. People taking the time to appreciate the bigger meaning of life. People helping those in need. People smiling and greeting other folks and looking past the little things that really don't matter.
    - I just happen to continue to love most Christmas carols, even though some folks play them too early and too often. I find that a number of those songs are just plain "classics", and will withstand any test of time.
    - And if you have children or are related to some, one of the most entertaining and uplifting events of the year is the school Christmas concert. I remember vividly when I would come home from a hard day of work, and go to my kids' concerts, and by the time I got home, I was a totally changed person. It just made the day so special.
    - Although I do feel lucky to have some great food and drink laying before me, almost anywhere I go during the festive season, there is one drawback. They close the University gym for about 2 weeks just before Christmas, and it instantly becomes a time of "intake". This is not really an issue though, because first of all, I am lucky to have that opportunity before me, and second, what's a couple of pounds in the big picture?? Hey, there are workout possibilities regardless of a gym closing.
    - It just happens to be my birthday in December, but as one gets older, the event takes on a different feel. In fact, part of the trick is to remember how many years. And it becomes funny as you get older, when you hear folks (usually guys it seems) boasting about their age, as in, "look at me, pretty good eh??" (threw in a little Canadian there). There's a gentleman at my gym, who's 75 and in really good shape. But either he's either so proud, or losing a wee bit of his memory, or a combination of both, because he's told me his age many times. BUT hey, the guy is solid!
    One other little pitfall, if you are born around Christmas (like me, on boxing day), don't expect too many birthday presents! Man, I'm just happy folks wake up and remember to congratulate me!!)
    - The weather can be frightful, as the song goes, but it is a wonderful sight, to see some fluffy white stuff blanketing the ground. Gives it a nice cosy touch. And if it gets a little too cold, well now, that's what those drinks with a kick or hot chocolate are for. Maybe some hot chocolate with a kick!!
    - And as the year comes to a close, it's good to reflect on what has taken place, and keep optimistic about the year ahead. After all, it may be your best year ever!

    :thumb:

    All the best to everyone!

  • #2
    I would like some snow.

    Please.

    Soon.

    sigpic
    2014 Adopted Bronco: Juwan Thompson

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by FLBroncFan View Post
      I would like some snow.

      Please.

      Soon.

      I can send you a lot of it, if you wish......





      Comment


      • #4
        First day of December has been a super one.
        Went to a concert, and we had a few carols.
        Tomorrow I carry on with the Christmas theme, with a carol service for a cancer charity to remember loved ones who have passed.
        And I've done ALL my Christmas shopping. Had a mad three days earlier this week and got everything done quite painlessly.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Jaws View Post
          First day of December has been a super one.
          Went to a concert, and we had a few carols.
          Tomorrow I carry on with the Christmas theme, with a carol service for a cancer charity to remember loved ones who have passed.
          And I've done ALL my Christmas shopping. Had a mad three days earlier this week and got everything done quite painlessly.
          Hey Jaws......sounds like you are deep into the festive season. I must say, although the "Senorita Sharka Clause" has a Christmas look, I am not sure I would take a chance on the mistletoe with her.
          Last edited by CanDB; 12-01-2012, 06:39 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            Hey Jaws......sounds like you are deep into the festive season. I must say, although the "Senorita Sharka Clause" has a Christmas look, I am not sure I would take a chance on the mistletoe with her.
            LOL. Live bravely, take a chance. Tis the season to be adventurous!
            Wise move.
            Actually, I'm told she has bad breath from munching on Raider limbs.

            Comment


            • #7
              I am a human being sir!
              sigpic
              2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

              Comment


              • #8
                2nd day of December brings cold freezing temperatures, but blue skies
                I wonder if my neighbour over the road will turn on his Christmas lights today.
                He has quite a display and people come from all over the country to see them.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I too love December.

                  It will be our son's first Christmas where he should get what is going on, our daughter is so excited for Santa, and the air has come in with a chill here in Virginia.

                  The whole festivus of the month just makes me feel great!

                  I hope everyone has a great December!
                  sigpic
                  The Bronco fan pledge;
                  I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
                  I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
                  I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
                  I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
                  Bronco's Country.


                  Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Helped my granddaughter clean out her closet yesterday.

                    I love this month of December because it has five Bronco games, more than September or October or November.

                    Anyone know why those months have those names?
                    Last edited by samparnell; 12-02-2012, 06:46 AM. Reason: clarification
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      Helped my granddaughter clean out her closet yesterday.

                      I love this month of December because it has five Bronco games, more than September or October or November.

                      Anyone know why those months have those names?
                      I assume it is because they were the 8th,9th and 10th months originally, before Julius and Augustus messed with things

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Another memory.....when we were young, we didn't get too many presents, and they certainly weren't expensive.....but I could hardly sleep with all the anticipation and excitement in the air. That's all we knew, and we could not wait!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                          I assume it is because they were the 8th,9th and 10th months originally, before Julius and Augustus messed with things
                          Before the Romans had a twelve month Calendar, they had a ten month calendar in which the fifth month was called Quintilis, the sixth Sextilis, the seventh Septembris, the eighth Octobris, the ninth Novembris and the tenth Decembris.

                          When they went to a twelve month calendar, they added two months to the beginning of it: January named after Janus, the Roman god of beginnings and the doorway; and, February named after the februa, the purifications. This added two to the months named for ordinal numbers. Add two, so September is no longer the seventh month, but the ninth, October is not the eighth but the tenth, November is no the ninth but the eleventh and December is no longer the tenth month, it is the twelfth.

                          Later, when Augustus became the first emperor, Sextilis was changed to August named after him, and Quintilis became July named after the Divine Julius.

                          Roman New Year in the ten month calendar was named March/Martius after Mars, the father of Romulus and Remus. It was ushered in by noisy and visually busy celebrations like Chinese New Year and for the same purpose.

                          Before the Romans had a ten month calendar, they had a four month calendar.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                            Before the Romans had a twelve month Calendar, they had a ten month calendar in which the fifth month was called Quintilis, the sixth Sextilis, the seventh Septembris, the eighth Octobris, the ninth Novembris and the tenth Decembris.

                            When they went to a twelve month calendar, they added two months to the beginning of it: January named after Janus, the Roman god of beginnings and the doorway; and, February named after the februa, the purifications. This added two to the months named for ordinal numbers. Add two, so September is no longer the seventh month, but the ninth, October is not the eighth but the tenth, November is no the ninth but the eleventh and December is no longer the tenth month, it is the twelfth.

                            Later, when Augustus became the first emperor, Sextilis was changed to August named after him, and Quintilis became July named after the Divine Julius.

                            Roman New Year in the ten month calendar was named March/Martius after Mars, the father of Romulus and Remus. It was ushered in by noisy and visually busy celebrations like Chinese New Year and for the same purpose.

                            Before the Romans had a ten month calendar, they had a four month calendar.
                            Very interesting, samparnell. Does this Roman calendar perhaps coincide with the Mayan calendar? :paper:
                            sigpic
                            2014 Adopted Bronco: Juwan Thompson

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FLBroncFan View Post
                              Very interesting, samparnell. Does this Roman calendar perhaps coincide with the Mayan calendar? :paper:
                              Not that I know of. From what I've heard, the Maya Calendar was based on the cycles/movements of the planet Venus. That produces a different numerology than the Julian/Gregorian calendars which more basically attempt to calculate the the number of rotations of the Earth on its axis in one orbit of the Sun. The Romans had a slightly different way of dealing with the extra c. 1/4 rotation by inserting intercalary day(s) like we do in February on Leap Year.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X