Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanDB
    replied
    No need to start up a new thread when we have one already. One of the things that I did not like, back when I first posted this, was that the University gym would close down for up to 2 weeks each year, starting a few days before Christmas. But last year a really good thing happened.....The U made the gym available a few days within the previous closure period, allowing us to get in a some badly needed work outs when the food and drink were at their most prevalent (that is, for those of us lucky ones).

And this year - bless those good folks, The U gym is being kept open almost every day through the Christmas break, other the key holidays of course. I LOVE THOSE FOLKS!!

And yes.....I love December!!:thumb:
    Last edited by CanDB; 12-02-2017, 05:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 100%Broncoholic
    replied
    Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
    Show me a person who wants lots of snow, and I'll show you a person who doesn't have sidewalks and a driveway to shovel!!!!!!!
    I have this in the garage... No worries besides it's 70 here in Virginia today.

Leave a comment:

• FLBroncFan
    replied
    Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
    Show me a person who wants lots of snow, and I'll show you a person who doesn't have sidewalks and a driveway to shovel!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• jetrazor74
    replied
    Originally posted by FLBroncFan View Post
    I would like some snow.

Please.

Soon.

Leave a comment:

• FLBroncFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    Or we could just do a collection amongst the Mods

Jawsie, you are sooo much fun.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Well, we can always count on the Canadian mods to supply the beer......

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    Hey Jaws.......I'd go for two Decembers (or whatever we call the 2nd one), except I might need to take out a loan to pay for it all!!!

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    I think because CanDB likes December so much, we should have a repeat of it and add a 13th month to the year named CanDBustus Or if he's too modest for that, we can name it Sharkustus

Oh and last night's service was just wonderful. The Chapel has a huge organ and the music was filling the place. Cathedral like. There was also a choir, led by an Opera singer and hearing her hit those top notes during the carols was spine-tingling.

My next Christmasy event is next Sunday afternoon, where I will join my precious Gran at the Nursing home for an early Christmas celebration with music and food.
    Hey Jaws.......I'd go for two Decembers (or whatever we call the 2nd one), except I might need to take out a loan to pay for it all!!!

Leave a comment:

• EvertonBroncos
    replied

Song basically sums up my feelings of December!

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    I think because CanDB likes December so much, we should have a repeat of it and add a 13th month to the year named CanDBustus Or if he's too modest for that, we can name it Sharkustus

Oh and last night's service was just wonderful. The Chapel has a huge organ and the music was filling the place. Cathedral like. There was also a choir, led by an Opera singer and hearing her hit those top notes during the carols was spine-tingling.

My next Christmasy event is next Sunday afternoon, where I will join my precious Gran at the Nursing home for an early Christmas celebration with music and food.
    Last edited by Jaws; 12-03-2012, 01:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by FLBroncFan View Post
    Very interesting, samparnell. Does this Roman calendar perhaps coincide with the Mayan calendar? :paper:
    Not that I know of. From what I've heard, the Maya Calendar was based on the cycles/movements of the planet Venus. That produces a different numerology than the Julian/Gregorian calendars which more basically attempt to calculate the the number of rotations of the Earth on its axis in one orbit of the Sun. The Romans had a slightly different way of dealing with the extra c. 1/4 rotation by inserting intercalary day(s) like we do in February on Leap Year.

Leave a comment:

• FLBroncFan
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Before the Romans had a twelve month Calendar, they had a ten month calendar in which the fifth month was called Quintilis, the sixth Sextilis, the seventh Septembris, the eighth Octobris, the ninth Novembris and the tenth Decembris.

When they went to a twelve month calendar, they added two months to the beginning of it: January named after Janus, the Roman god of beginnings and the doorway; and, February named after the februa, the purifications. This added two to the months named for ordinal numbers. Add two, so September is no longer the seventh month, but the ninth, October is not the eighth but the tenth, November is no the ninth but the eleventh and December is no longer the tenth month, it is the twelfth.

Later, when Augustus became the first emperor, Sextilis was changed to August named after him, and Quintilis became July named after the Divine Julius.

Roman New Year in the ten month calendar was named March/Martius after Mars, the father of Romulus and Remus. It was ushered in by noisy and visually busy celebrations like Chinese New Year and for the same purpose.

Before the Romans had a ten month calendar, they had a four month calendar.
    Very interesting, samparnell. Does this Roman calendar perhaps coincide with the Mayan calendar? :paper:

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    I assume it is because they were the 8th,9th and 10th months originally, before Julius and Augustus messed with things
    Before the Romans had a twelve month Calendar, they had a ten month calendar in which the fifth month was called Quintilis, the sixth Sextilis, the seventh Septembris, the eighth Octobris, the ninth Novembris and the tenth Decembris.

When they went to a twelve month calendar, they added two months to the beginning of it: January named after Janus, the Roman god of beginnings and the doorway; and, February named after the februa, the purifications. This added two to the months named for ordinal numbers. Add two, so September is no longer the seventh month, but the ninth, October is not the eighth but the tenth, November is no the ninth but the eleventh and December is no longer the tenth month, it is the twelfth.

Later, when Augustus became the first emperor, Sextilis was changed to August named after him, and Quintilis became July named after the Divine Julius.

Roman New Year in the ten month calendar was named March/Martius after Mars, the father of Romulus and Remus. It was ushered in by noisy and visually busy celebrations like Chinese New Year and for the same purpose.

Before the Romans had a ten month calendar, they had a four month calendar.

Leave a comment:

• CanDB
    replied
    Another memory.....when we were young, we didn't get too many presents, and they certainly weren't expensive.....but I could hardly sleep with all the anticipation and excitement in the air. That's all we knew, and we could not wait!

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Helped my granddaughter clean out her closet yesterday.

I love this month of December because it has five Bronco games, more than September or October or November.

Anyone know why those months have those names?
    I assume it is because they were the 8th,9th and 10th months originally, before Julius and Augustus messed with things

Leave a comment:

Working...
X