Intelligent Conversation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey

Well, Shanny came out today and said "I'm sticking out the four years left on my contract". That should end all this calling for his head. A discussion of his coaching abilities and personel moves is now more in order, without the hysterical demands or predictions that he is outta here.

1) I still want some unexpected and creative plays, I've consistantly called for this.

2) The personel move of bringing in Baker seems a gamble, based on Bakers history.
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor
      Whether a comment is valid or not, especially one that requires subjective interpretation, is not whether it's entirely fair or not.

What makes a comment valid is the presentation.

I can say, "blah blah blah is a damned idiot, and I'd like to piss on his face!"

But that entirely undermines my point, doesn't it? If I say, "I believe there was a better option, here is what should have been done. Here is what was done. Here is why that opportunity was missed, and here's how we improve this in the future..."

That carries a lot more weight.

Sometimes people get mad. I get mad. When the venom, fervor and anger of our argument outweighs the value of the argument, it's simply no longer valid. That's all there is too it. When we lose grasp of reason, we're done. Period.

When we turn unreasonable, no one listens any more.

And it no longer matters if we're right or wrong. In order to win (or even make) an argument, you must first ensure that your message is being heard. In the case that brought this thread about, I don't hear the argument. I just hear someone being pissy and upset. The kid stuff drowns out the other issues. The person's argument is lost amidst their other antics.

That's my take on it anyway. Any legitimacy his arguments had are lost, because it's not worth the work to wade through the crap to find out what his message is.

Oh, I get it. As long as you put something in quotation marks and talk in the 3rd person, you can get away with saying anything.

Seems to me you are talking about some of your posts after you first got here. Nothing but "blah blah blah I am the greatest blah blah blah you're uneducated blah blah blah".

Gotta love her
      Originally Posted by NJBRONCOSFAN
      .... i wanted to offend nobody besides rushmore.
      Originally Posted by Alastor
      ......Intelligence isn't anything on wisdom or character

Comment

Not at all. What I'm saying is that if someone pitches a fit, loses their rationality and throws a tantrum, people stop caring about what else they have to say. They're also just being disruptive at that point.

In the thread in question, Shanny makes a point of provoking fights and insulting people, tossing around insults and such.

When he starts doing that, he's lost the basis for any kind of discussion or intellectual argument. Then it's just... a tantrum.

While familiar to some of us... it's not real effective at getting one's point across.

I don't recall ever saying I was the greatest at anything.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, MT, feel free to PM me.

Comment

Strange as it may be I'd say this website is better during the offfseason.
          Go Broncos, Capitals, and Orioles

Thanks SNK16

Comment

this board has turned from good intelligent people that love football into a bunch of jerks with no brain...it has changed a lot...but hey i still love this board

Comment

Originally posted by West
              this board has turned from good intelligent people that love football into a bunch of jerks with no brain...it has changed a lot...but hey i still love this board
              Hopefully it's just one of those *phases all boards go through from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Booher
                I am of the opinion that anything but football is the only section where one can get intelligent conversation.....General Discussions has turned into a jerk fest.

I hear you man. Sometimes after a loss it's hard to read some posts on 'General Discussions' because they are so unreasonable. Fire this guy, bench that guy, trade him, why why why, it gets hard to reason with these people. It's like they don't even understand what it takes to be successful. You're not going to win every game and every Super Bowl!! I'm getting frustrated just thinking about them. Gotta go.

Comment

When boards grow, this usually happens. You have a set social climate and then a flood of new people come in, and the tone changes. It takes them a while to see how the board's attitude is and to adapt. Naturally, not everyone who comes to this board is in it for the long haul, and their conduct reflects that too. The board's just growing quickly right now.

It'll settle out.

It's really up to the folks that want a higher standard for the community to set the tone. Seriously. Social pressure works, even on the Internet (moreso on the net, because that's all that exists is a social perspective). Those that have been here a long time and who have been leaders... well... they set the tone, just like in any community - be it a clique in high school, a supervisor at work, captain of a football team or a member of a board on the Internet.

The tone those leaders set is the tone a message board will always inevitably revert to. It just takes a while sometimes.

In my experiences at least.

Comment

In the key of G

I'd like to teach the world to sing
                    In perfect harmony
                    I'd like to buy the World a Coke
                    and keep it company
                    It's the real thing

-------------------------

Kumba Ya my Lord
                    Kumba Ya Oh Lord
                    Kumba ya

--------------------------

Do ya feel the spirit?

Who's gonna stomp those Chiefs?

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE
                      I'd like to teach the world to sing
                      In perfect harmony
                      I'd like to buy the World a Coke
                      and keep it company
                      It's the real thing

Kumba Ya my Lord
                      Kumba Ya Oh Lord
                      Kumba ya

--------------------------

Do ya feel the spirit?

Who's gonna stomp those Chiefs?

It's official you are being sent in for a drug test.
                      Go Broncos, Capitals, and Orioles

Thanks SNK16

Comment

hey

OK, but give me 7 days notice.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Working...
                        X