Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Unusual", Sometimes Embarrassing Aspects of Our Youth.....The Best Memories!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Unusual", Sometimes Embarrassing Aspects of Our Youth.....The Best Memories!

I can only tell you this, because I am not a young dude anymore. I can reflect more objectively, because I have some time and distance between the events and the memories. Things become easier to rationalize as the decades go by.

Growing up is a very sensitive time for most of us. We are learning our way, and trying to figure out how and where we fit in. And I believe most of us want to be like everyone else when we are in those developing years. Not exactly the same, but not too far from the beaten path, otherwise we may be considered "odd" or a misfit of some sort. And being a young person does not align itself very well with being a "singled out" person.

Fact is, most of us are different, and rightfully so. I for one felt we were different, because we did some things that others did not. We had some traditions and even some religious activities (as practicing Catholics) that seemed isolating in some way. Then again, I wasn't exactly keeping track of what all the others were up to. We grew up a little less wealthy than some I associated with, but my Father did all he could, as a fabulous carpenter. I don't even remember him missing a day of work outside of very limited vacations (maybe a week per year). We were certainly not poor.

But years go by, and when we chat with one another, whether it be family or friends, all those memories are the foundation for who we are. We can talk for hours steady about what we did, and the silly things we endured, and how fun it was back in the day. And the odder the better. The stories never die, but in most cases, get more interesting and funnier, and I believe we feel even more special.....because we were unique, and yes...."unusual".

And quite possibly none of that made us different in a negative way. If anything I believe it gave us a broader sense of what can be. And it did not cloud our understanding of how to "be". If nothing else, it taught us open-mindedness, and acceptance of others.

So don't worry too much about being young and not in a textbook lifestye. Embrace the unusual. It will be your ally as you grow older. Sure, there are things that happen that our unfair and not to be wished on others, but I am not talking about crimes or wrongdoing. I am talking about people being the people they are. And if that means you have an uncle or aunt who was a bit "off the wall", then that's cool. As long as they meant well. And even if this means you eat food that your friends don't eat, or if you attend certain events that your friends don't attend, and so on.......it's all good, trust me. You will end up talking many a day about those times - growing up, and laughing harder than you will ever imagine.

Be proud.....and take it all in! If anything, feel for those who grow up far too normal. Your stories and memories will be so much more valuable.

Hey Can.. tell us one of your childhood stories you hold dear. Maybe where you guys went to dinner on special nights.. how you played baseball in the street and broke the neighbor's window.. or grew up playing street hockey in the street with no pads....

Share with us.
    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
      Hey Can.. tell us one of your childhood stories you hold dear. Maybe where you guys went to dinner on special nights.. how you played baseball in the street and broke the neighbor's window.. or grew up playing street hockey in the street with no pads....

Share with us.
      I will expand a bit later (need to go out shortly).....but funny you mention those three, because:
      1) I will never forget going to my Grandmother's for home made Italian, or to her friend's place, for the best ravioli ever made!!!!!!! We were spoiled that way.....Italian food was never to be eaten anywhere but at home, because it was the real deal!
      2) I just had a flashback about hitting a ball "off" our neighbours window, and running for the hills!!! I broke a few here and there. Believe it or not, we used to play hardball on a vacant lot across from my buddy's house, and we used ding that old, big place constantly with home runs!!
      3) We played street hockey in summer and winter. We even skated on the street a few times. Those were endless days of fun!! Seemed like we played all day long. Of course that can be said for baseball, football, soccer and a bunch of other sports. And it was really cool playing against other streets. We didn't always have coaches and leagues because we made our own, and organized everything ourselves. I still remember marking a football field on our street with chalk. So much fun, and so much creativity when you have few rules and are left to your own imagination. Even making our own miniature golf courses. So cool! So many possibilities!!

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        I will expand a bit later (need to go out shortly).....but funny you mention those three, because:
        1) I will never forget going to my Grandmother's for home made Italian, or to her friend's place, for the best ravioli ever made!!!!!!! We were spoiled that way.....Italian food was never to be eaten anywhere but at home, because it was the real deal!
        2) I just had a flashback about hitting a ball "off" our neighbours window, and running for the hills!!! I broke a few here and there. Believe it or not, we used to play hardball on a vacant lot across from my buddy's house, and we used ding that old, big place constantly with home runs!!
        3) We played street hockey in summer and winter. We even skated on the street a few times. Those were endless days of fun!! Seemed like we played all day long. Of course that can be said for baseball, football, soccer and a bunch of other sports. And it was really cool playing against other streets. We didn't always have coaches and leagues because we made our own, and organized everything ourselves. I still remember marking a football field on our street with chalk. So much fun, and so much creativity when you have few rules and are left to your own imagination. Even making our own miniature golf courses. So cool! So many possibilities!!
        HAHA!! Great minds... right?
        *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
        *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
        *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
          HAHA!! Great minds... right?
          You set me up bud!!!

(Have a few minutes left, but I think I expanded enough already!!)

Main thing is this, embrace who you are and where you come from, to the degree it is warranted. And believe me, when we sit around and recount our youth, we don't say, "hey, tell me anything 'normal' story from our early days, or thing we did!"

........whatever "normal" is.

Comment

I think there were hundred reasons my family was unique, a lot of hardships that I still have special memories of just the same from those young years. Most of the oddness is probably what caused my extremely dry sense of humor....
            sigpic
            Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
            Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
            Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
            Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
              I think there were hundred reasons my family was unique, a lot of hardships that I still have special memories of just the same from those young years. Most of the oddness is probably what caused my extremely dry sense of humor....
              Very probable connection (mixed in with some genetics I imagine).

By the way, always found the term "dry sense of humour" kinda interesting.......(hmmmm, wonder if people ever say, "wet sense of humour" or "moist" or whatever....)

Comment

Working...
              X