Any tips on selling a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on selling a car

I have been meaning to put my car up for sale for some time, and seriously don't have a clue as to where to start. Maybe it's laziness, mainly just don't know how to go about it. I was all gung ho on getting this done last January. I even took it in and had it fully detailed at that time, and told them don't detail the engine. <- I knew that much, so it didn't appear anything was being covered up.

My plans for it then was to put in the auto trader, but this kid at the detail place loved it and sounded very serious about it. So I held off on the auto trader... wanted to give him a chance. Figured he'd save me the hassle of taking an add out, and I'd cut him a deal. Unfortunately, I'm assuming he found something else... so now I'm back in the position of wanting to get this done.

For anyone who has sold a vehicle lately, what method did you use? Or if you used several different forms of advertising, what worked best? I'm curious about craigslist, but have never used it... so any thoughts on that also appreciated. I don't know why craigslist scares me.
    sigpic
    Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
    Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
    Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
    Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
    I have been meaning to put my car up for sale for some time, and seriously don't have a clue as to where to start. Maybe it's laziness, mainly just don't know how to go about it. I was all gung ho on getting this done last January. I even took it in and had it fully detailed at that time, and told them don't detail the engine. <- I knew that much, so it didn't appear anything was being covered up.

My plans for it then was to put in the auto trader, but this kid at the detail place loved it and sounded very serious about it. So I held off on the auto trader... wanted to give him a chance. Figured he'd save me the hassle of taking an add out, and I'd cut him a deal. Unfortunately, I'm assuming he found something else... so now I'm back in the position of wanting to get this done.

For anyone who has sold a vehicle lately, what method did you use? Or if you used several different forms of advertising, what worked best? I'm curious about craigslist, but have never used it... so any thoughts on that also appreciated. I don't know why craigslist scares me.

Craigslist should probably scare you but selling a car on it should be legit. I have sold two vehicles in my life time, one in a local Trader's Guide publication, which can't be unique to my area. That was easiest. The other one I have a friend with highway-side property and I just put the truck by the road with a for sale sign on it and it was sold within two weeks.

If it's a decent vehicle, you shouldn't have any trouble selling. What is it?

Comment

The big thing is making your car look like they are getting what they are paying for. dump fresh oil in it, hide the rust spots put some seat covers on it...etc.

People want to buy a car they can drive away in and feel there is nothing they have to do...such as replace the tires etc. A $100 in touch ups like aan oil change, spray cleaning the engine will go a very long way in gettin the price you want.

Any method that gets it out there is good.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
        Craigslist should probably scare you but selling a car on it should be legit. I have sold two vehicles in my life time, one in a local Trader's Guide publication, which can't be unique to my area. That was easiest. The other one I have a friend with highway-side property and I just put the truck by the road with a for sale sign on it and it was sold within two weeks.

If it's a decent vehicle, you shouldn't have any trouble selling. What is it?
        It's a 04' mustang... it's decent, I've thought about putting a for sale sign on it and parking it along side a major road, don't know if I'm asking for trouble with that only because if I did that it would be on a major corner...public property. I don't have any friends with that type of property, but I like the idea.

I haven't sold a car in twenty years, the last time I put one up for sale I used auto trader, but I totaled it the next day. Apparently that was lucky, I wasn't hurt too bad and the insurance paid more for the totaled car, than what I was asking. haha. But I didn't get the experience of selling the car, so I don't have that to draw from.
        sigpic

Comment

It's a 04' mustang... it's decent, I've thought about putting a for sale sign on it and parking it along side a major road, don't know if I'm asking for trouble with that only because if I did that it would be on a major corner...public property. I don't have any friends with that type of property, but I like the idea.

I haven't sold a car in twenty years, the last time I put one up for sale I used auto trader, but I totaled it the next day. Apparently that was lucky, I wasn't hurt too bad and the insurance paid more for the totaled car, than what I was asking. haha. But I didn't get the experience of selling the car, so I don't have that to draw from.
          Well... I think you have figured out what to do! lol j/k

I'm actually in the market for a summer vehicle. If you weren't 2k+ away I might look at it.

I would go with your local auto-trader and you should be all right.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
            The big thing is making your car look like they are getting what they are paying for. dump fresh oil in it, hide the rust spots put some seat covers on it...etc.

People want to buy a car they can drive away in and feel there is nothing they have to do...such as replace the tires etc. A $100 in touch ups like aan oil change, spray cleaning the engine will go a very long way in gettin the price you want.

Any method that gets it out there is good.
            I kept it up real well when I was driving it, changing the oil every three to five K miles. I haven't put many miles on it in the last year, but I'll go with your idea that I should probably change the oil, filters, ect. one more time.

The interior is very good condition, since I had the detailing done. They shampooed the seats, and the only hole is very small and in the back seat. Funny, when I had it detailed ... they had a lot of work to do.... there was about five guys working on it. The interior was about an inch thick with dog hair when I took it in.... it was fun sitting outside watching them work so hard, and the gestures and swearwords that I could see with the amount of cleaning that had to be done. I was super impressed once it was finished... and they made my front lights look like new.

Someone told me a long time ago that cleaning the engine meant you were covering stuff up that was wrong... so I'm a little torn on that one... How is a spray cleaning different than having the engine detailed? or is it?
            sigpic

Comment

Well... I think you have figured out what to do! lol j/k

I'm actually in the market for a summer vehicle. If you weren't 2k+ away I might look at it.

I would go with your local auto-trader and you should be all right.
              I'm thinking that's my safest bet, thought this would be a great place for a second opinion. Thanks...

lol - unfortunately I took the full coverage ins. off this car when I stopped driving it as much, liability only.... I doubt I'd get that lucky twice
              sigpic

Comment

I kept it up real well when I was driving it, changing the oil every three to five K miles. I haven't put many miles on it in the last year, but I'll go with your idea that I should probably change the oil, filters, ect. one more time.

The interior is very good condition, since I had the detailing done. They shampooed the seats, and the only hole is very small and in the back seat. Funny, when I had it detailed ... they had a lot of work to do.... there was about five guys working on it. The interior was about an inch thick with dog hair when I took it in.... it was fun sitting outside watching them work so hard, and the gestures and swearwords that I could see with the amount of cleaning that had to be done. I was super impressed once it was finished... and they made my front lights look like new.

Someone told me a long time ago that cleaning the engine meant you were covering stuff up that was wrong... so I'm a little torn on that one... How is a spray cleaning different than having the engine detailed? or is it?
                No different. One you just do yourself. ou can get a can of engine cleaner and then you hose it off. Just cover up some parts you dont want water in. I dont get the "hiding stuff" part. I would say it allows a good view of the engine compartment.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                  No different. One you just do yourself. ou can get a can of engine cleaner and then you hose it off. Just cover up some parts you dont want water in. I dont get the "hiding stuff" part. I would say it allows a good view of the engine compartment.
                  I have actually heard that too. People cleaning an engine up just to make it look good when it's really a lemon. Nothing wrong with cleaning it up if there's nothing wrong with it though.

Comment

I have actually heard that too. People cleaning an engine up just to make it look good when it's really a lemon. Nothing wrong with cleaning it up if there's nothing wrong with it though.
                    I have never heard of that, or thought of it. I could see that if the engine was very clean and the rest was Meh there would be a little suspicion but if the whole thing has been cleaned I would think that just extended to the engine as well.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, I plan on having just a bit more maintenance done and getting it up for sale over the next week.....
                      sigpic

Comment

I've sold things on craigslist. Best part, it's free with a huge audience. Worst part, dealing with craigslisters. They can be absolutely idiotic.

Try and figure out exactly what your car is worth. Then decide - do I want to sell it fast, or hold out for a higher price? Before you advertise it, decide on the lowest amount you will take for it. Say nada.com says your car is worth $4,500. Then say you've decided you won't go lower than $4,100. Put it on Craigslist for $5,000 or so. People WILL try and lowball you. Just accept that it will happen. If you get an email "is it still available" or "is it for sale?" with no description, delete it. It's a scam. Don't go for any offers other than cash in hand, or a trade (if that's what you want). No checks - they can meet you at the banks. If you get an offer you like, take it. If not, just tell the buyer you can't accept the offer.

If you do put up a craigslist ad, add a couple good, clear pictures. Include the year, make, model, mileage, and condition. Put your price. Some put OBO (or best offer), but I don't - that tells the reader that you don't really expect to get asking price. Haggling is expected, but don't let them know right off the bat you will come down on price. Use decent grammar, and try to spell somewhat accurately. I hate reading ads that sound like a caveman wrote it. If you don't get any response, wait a few days, and re-post the ad with a lower price.

If you are hesitant to provide your personal number, you can just receive e-mails. I've found that including a phone number will hugely increase your response. If you don't accept texts at your number, make sure to put that in the ad. Some people love to text and will assume your number accepts texts.

Craigslist has its pains, but it can be a very effective way to sell something. It really is a huge audience, and is a great way to advertise an item to a large group of people. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                          I've sold things on craigslist. Best part, it's free with a huge audience. Worst part, dealing with craigslisters. They can be absolutely idiotic.

I was curious about the craigslist angle, since I've never used it. When you say "absolutely idiotic" - do you mean that they just make ridiculously low offers, or have you ever been harassed by any who responded to your ad?

Try and figure out exactly what your car is worth. Then decide - do I want to sell it fast, or hold out for a higher price? Before you advertise it, decide on the lowest amount you will take for it. Say nada.com says your car is worth $4,500. Then say you've decided you won't go lower than $4,100. Put it on Craigslist for $5,000 or so. People WILL try and lowball you. Just accept that it will happen. If you get an email "is it still available" or "is it for sale?" with no description, delete it. It's a scam. Don't go for any offers other than cash in hand, or a trade (if that's what you want). No checks - they can meet you at the banks. If you get an offer you like, take it. If not, just tell the buyer you can't accept the offer.

I agree with you on the no checks... thanks for the heads up on the email scams.

If you do put up a craigslist ad, add a couple good, clear pictures. Include the year, make, model, mileage, and condition. Put your price. Some put OBO (or best offer), but I don't - that tells the reader that you don't really expect to get asking price. Haggling is expected, but don't let them know right off the bat you will come down on price. Use decent grammar, and try to spell somewhat accurately. I hate reading ads that sound like a caveman wrote it. If you don't get any response, wait a few days, and re-post the ad with a lower price.

I had planned on the OBO... so appreciate the feedback on that. I think last time, a couple months back when I checked Kelly blue book... it suggested around $3800 for the condition and mileage ^ very high mileage I've put on mine. I figured I may have to come down a bit maybe. Is Kelly Blue Book the way to go, or do people use something else to determine the value these days?

If you are hesitant to provide your personal number, you can just receive e-mails. I've found that including a phone number will hugely increase your response. If you don't accept texts at your number, make sure to put that in the ad. Some people love to text and will assume your number accepts texts.

I was thinking about using the home number... just because we never answer it, and it goes strait to the machine. I figured that way, maybe only the more serious buyers would leave a message. I don't know if that's a good idea or not. How annoying would that be, if the phone kept ringing from someone trying to text it? Thanks for the mention of that, something to consider.

Craigslist has its pains, but it can be a very effective way to sell something. It really is a huge audience, and is a great way to advertise an item to a large group of people. I love it.
                          Thanks for feedback.............
                          sigpic

Comment

Tell them Chris Farley used to own it. That should drive up the value some.
                            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                            sigpic

Comment

Its a GT right?
                              How much are you selling it for? Just curious
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X