Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer Help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Computer Help

    So, my cpu decided it wants to get nice and hot and shut the computer off. Once its up past 65c it shuts off in about a minute. All my fans are running fine and the cpu fan and heatsink are both pretty clean. Ive been searching the internet and read that a virus can rewrite the bios settings so Im trying to update my bios on Asus Suite 2 and thats not working either (it wont update). Usually my cpu runs between 30-35 so I have no idea whats going on.

    Whenever I try and do anything the cpu's temp shoots up really fast
    Last edited by VenomousDB; 05-13-2013, 10:43 PM.
    sigpic

  • #2
    Have you tried a virus scanner that can do a boot-time scan like Avast or Avira (im sure there's some others.)

    It might be worth pulling off the cpu sink/fan and cleaning both it and the processor and applying new thermal paste.

    Is it giving you some kind of error when the bios won't update?

    Comment


    • #3
      I've run a couple scans with webroot and windows defender. Right now Im doing a scan on the C: drive.

      Im going to clean the cpu heat sink off tomorrow but its still not very dirty at all. And I dont have any thermal paste so Ill have to run to microcenter to get some.

      And Asus isnt giving me anything. It just says that its "connecting to server, please wait...."

      Its just weird though, I was laying down watching a movie and my computer wasnt running anything and it suddenly shut down. Now, whenever I run anything it gets hot really fast
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
        Its just weird though, I was laying down watching a movie and my computer wasnt running anything and it suddenly shut down. Now, whenever I run anything it gets hot really fast
        Hrmm that doesn't sound good.

        I would try getting the newest BIOS file right from Asus' website http://support.asus.com/download/Opt...uage=en&type=1 and try doing it manually. If it's a relatively new ASUS board it should have EZ Flash. Put the file on a thumb drive (remember the Drive letter) and press Alt+F2 when you boot to get into it. Then when you're in EZ flash just type X:\biosfilename.exe to run it. If Asus Suite has the option to choose a file from location I would try that first, I haven't used mine in a while.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
          Hrmm that doesn't sound good.

          I would try getting the newest BIOS file right from Asus' website http://support.asus.com/download/Opt...uage=en&type=1 and try doing it manually. If it's a relatively new ASUS board it should have EZ Flash. Put the file on a thumb drive (remember the Drive letter) and press Alt+F2 when you boot to get into it. Then when you're in EZ flash just type X:\biosfilename.exe to run it. If Asus Suite has the option to choose a file from location I would try that first, I haven't used mine in a while.
          Great, the only thumb drive I had is broke

          I dont know if its my imagination, but the air coming out of the vents doesnt even feel very hot.
          Sometimes if Im playing a game on high performance temps will go up to around 60 or more and Ill feel the air coming out and it seems a lot hotter then how it feels right now. Like right now it says 73 and the only thing running is webroot. At least its not powering down now. I dont know. Itll give me something to tinker with tomorrow, but I just dont want there to be something really wrong with it.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Now its at 74. Its nevvvvvvvvvvvvver done anything like this.

            EDIT Holy crap it says 78 now

            Edit 79!
            Last edited by VenomousDB; 05-13-2013, 11:21 PM.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Welp she shut down on me. Ill just leave it off for the night
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                That's crazy I've never seen one climb like that just idling. I hate to say it but there's an outside chance the thing could be smoked. Did it even get through the virus scans?

                Anyway, the Alt+F2 method wasn't working for me, but you can definitely access ez mode from the bios utility. It found the file for me and everything. (decided to update mine for the hell of it.)

                Definitely try unseating it and cleaning it up, make sure to get 91%+ isopropyl

                Comment


                • #9
                  Do you think theres a chance its reading the wrong temps?

                  I had done a couple general scans before i posted this and it said everything was fine. The c drive scan was about 50 percent done at about 30 mins.

                  I sure hope its not done for. I wonder if amd has a warranty
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Few things.

                    Have you recently updated any of your software? Have you installed something that could be taxing your CPU?

                    Fans! Are any of them not working or on backwards.

                    Dust is bad. Even the dust not on your heatsink. Some cases have foam pads in front of external fans to filter dust but they adversely collect that dust. Remove or clean those foam pads if you have them.

                    If it's a laptop get a cooler pad from Newegg. Coolermaster has an awesome one that's aluminum with fans that you can move and adjust. I own one and it's awesome.

                    Space! Is your tower in a cramped area?Move it somewhere where it's got room to circulate air. Under your desk pushed up against the wall doesn't do it any favors. Hot air just gets recirculated into the case.

                    Is it on the floor/carpet? If so get it off the floor and onto your desk.

                    Be sure it's your CPU and not your GPU. I've made that mistake.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This is what you get for making fun of my PC, BUDDY.


                      I have some thermal paste, come over and get it.
                      sigpic

                      Hooray, beer!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
                        Few things.

                        Have you recently updated any of your software? Have you installed something that could be taxing your CPU?

                        Fans! Are any of them not working or on backwards.

                        Dust is bad. Even the dust not on your heatsink. Some cases have foam pads in front of external fans to filter dust but they adversely collect that dust. Remove or clean those foam pads if you have them.

                        If it's a laptop get a cooler pad from Newegg. Coolermaster has an awesome one that's aluminum with fans that you can move and adjust. I own one and it's awesome.

                        Space! Is your tower in a cramped area?Move it somewhere where it's got room to circulate air. Under your desk pushed up against the wall doesn't do it any favors. Hot air just gets recirculated into the case.

                        Is it on the floor/carpet? If so get it off the floor and onto your desk.

                        Be sure it's your CPU and not your GPU. I've made that mistake.
                        Nope didnt install anything lately, fans are working fine, theres really no dust in my case, and its well ventilated

                        Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                        This is what you get for making fun of my PC, BUDDY.


                        I have some thermal paste, come over and get it.
                        Haha yeah yeah yeah.

                        Do youbwork today
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          good luck... Anytime I've attempted to fix mine, I end up with a new system since I break it beyond repair... so I won't even attempt to offer suggestions....
                          sigpic
                          Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                          Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                          Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton
                          Adopted Bronco - 2021/22 - Shelby Harris

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Sophia23 View Post
                            good luck... Anytime I've attempted to fix mine, I end up with a new system since I break it beyond repair... so I won't even attempt to offer suggestions....
                            Lol. Im pretty good with computers, but this one is stumping me. I think ill just start off with dusting it and putting new thermal paste on there
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
                              Haha yeah yeah yeah.

                              Do youbwork today
                              Nope. I'll look for it and you can come get it whenever. I have a full tube.
                              sigpic

                              Hooray, beer!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X