Failure Is An Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure Is An Option

I know it's the positive thing to do, to only set your sights on winning, and achieving, and being the best you can be. I'm big on positive.

But failure, which by the way is a very strong word, is not as bad as it may seem. Some versions definitely are, when involving a lack of effort, or a poor plan, or no plan at all. On the other hand, when someone is trying and doing their best, and still coming up short......that's not a bad thing. In fact, it may well be the last step before something special occurs. It may be the final hurdle that leads to open field or smooth sailing. And whether or not you are even close to the goal, it's what you learn along the way that makes you better.

Look at the stats. A good baseball hitter will still not get a hit about 7 out of 10 times. A good QB will go incomplete about 1/3 of the time, and some may be interceptions. A good author will write some books that hardly anyone reads or enjoys. The list is very long.

The reason this is important to point out is that, there is a good life outside the fact that we come up short, a lot. It's the special part of being a human. It's the learning and growing, and the perseverance and the never say die attitude, and the positive outlook that folks have that make all the letdowns in the world NOT get in the way. In fact, I am much more supportive of those who keep taking hits and keep getting up, over those who believe they are never in error, or try to believe they have it all figured it. No one does. No one is 100% correct, or successful.

Sure, failure has a sour taste to it, and I am not encouraging it in it's most raw state. But coming up short is what we do at times, even at our best. And it's that next part of the process that really excites me.....making the most out of the attempt. Getting 3 hits out of 10, and working to get to the 4th. Creating a good book after missing the mark a few times (or more). Knowing limits, and capabilities, and then.......going further. Getting one more ounce out of the situation.

That's success!

You learn the most from failure so that you can set yourself up for success.
    I guarantee if you asked Trump or Bill Gates how many times they have failed theyd say countless times.
    sigpic

Comment

This thread reminds me of two speeches a UFC fighter gave during his time as a coach on the Ultimate Fighter reality show.

Has to do with fighting but you could literally put this in every aspect of your life and I think the message is great.

Comment

Second video. Gives me goosebumps everytime I watch it.

Comment

hahahah Sonnen got the beat down and still almost won because of a toe

Reporter "So Chael, congrats on winning the belt. How do you think you did it"

Chael "Well, I uhhhh, ahh screw it, his toe almost fell off"
          sigpic

Comment

Failure Is The Fog Through Which We All Glimpse Triumph

or something. I wouldn't know... I only know triumph.

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
              Failure Is The Fog Through Which We All Glimpse Triumph

or something. I wouldn't know... I only know triumph.
              Agreed.

The Bonneville is badass!
              Adopted Poster
              AZ Snake Fan

Comment

Chael was my favorite coach to ever be on the show.

Failure is always an option, but people place so much emphasis on success that failure is seen as something quite negative. It's black or white/All or Nothing thinking that can take something that could be positive and truely make it a detrimental event to a person.

While the event resulting in failure can be negative, people can also take that as motivation, empowerment, life lesson/personal growth.
                sigpic
                2012 Broncos Country Pick 'Em Challenge Champion

Comment

Originally posted by BroncosDivision View Post
                  Agreed.

The Bonneville is badass!
                  I agree...

and half the thread is confused. haha

Comment

Sonnen cracks me up. I find him to be hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                      I agree...

and half the thread is confused. haha
                      Damn you knew. Now I'm sad
                      Adopted Poster
                      AZ Snake Fan

Comment

I started watching Trump's show again - "The Celebrity Apprentice" (I must not have enough to do!!), and it does bug me when two teams both excel, given the timeframes and tasks involved, and as soon as one team comes up short in terms of the judging, someone has to be fired. I think they should get a pass some weeks, whereas in others they should fire more than one person, even if on the winning team. If you're a dud, you have no business being exempt, just because your team won. The message there is, you better win, even if both teams have excellent results.

Not buying it Mr. Trump.

:nono:

Comment

The apprentice is still on tv?

next you will tell me people still watch survivor

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                            This thread reminds me of two speeches a UFC fighter gave during his time as a coach on the Ultimate Fighter reality show.
                            Has to do with fighting but you could literally put this in every aspect of your life and I think the message is great.
                            Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                            Second video. Gives me goosebumps everytime I watch it.
                            I gained a good deal of respect for Chael when I saw that when it aired. What he said is true.

Failure will always been an option in life, it's just up to you yourself to decided if you wanna go that road or succeed.

It's important to remember failure, it's important to have failure present in your mind. Because then you know why you need to succeed, what you don't wanna go back too, how failure feels and taste.

The second part is also very true, It's what I tell some friends when giving them advice. We as animals, as humans can't help our emotions. But we also need to realize emotions won't get you anywhere. Actions do. Emotions wont pay bills, buy food, strengthen relationships, get you a job. Actions will.
                            sigpic
                            Adopted Broncos:
                            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I think it's important that for folks who have failed, and I mean that in the sense of not doing what was necessary to get the job done, but have made the most out of their next attempt.....well, I think those folks are winners regardless of what went wrong the previous time.

We get caught up in life, and sometimes things are a blur. So failing once, but succeeding as a result, is still honourable in my books.

Anyone who claims they have never failed.......hmmmm, I don't think they tried hard enough, or they took the safe route, or they're just not aware of all that encompasses living.

Comment

Working...
                              X